Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac Lvl 6 Q?

• 27-08-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

im just wondering if i do Network & Software Systems fetac level 6 course on top of my fetac level 5 course will i be eligibil for advanced entry in to year 2 of the Computer Science degree in DIT next year?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

phishcakes wrote: »
    Hi,

im just wondering if i do Network & Software Systems fetac level 6 course on top of my fetac level 5 course will i be eligibil for advanced entry in to year 2 of the Computer Science degree in DIT next year?

Cheers!

Yes, I did this course this year, you apply directly to DIT, you need to get 5 distinctions at least and one must be in programming (there may be other requirements but I cannot recall them) before the DIT year starts you also do some programming with DIT to make sure you will be able to handle the course

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Yes, I did this course this year

Did you do it in greenhills? how did you find the course?
    before the DIT year starts you also do some programming with DIT to make sure you will be able to handle the course

Like an entrance exam?? im assuming thats at some stage during the summer?? Might ruin the plans to go travelling for 2 or 3 months next summer!

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Check with your FETAC centre as they have extra links in place for Level 6 applicants with other IoTs.

Did you do it in greenhills? how did you find the course?

No I did the course in BIFE (Bray Institute of Further Education), I found the course quite easy, the only thing I found difficult was the maths, other than that its real easy, ended up getting 7 distinctions and a merit.

Like an entrance exam?? im assuming thats at some stage during the summer?? Might ruin the plans to go travelling for 2 or 3 months next summer!

Cheers!

If I recall correctly its like two weeks before you register with the college and its a couple of days of C++ I think.

No I did the course in BIFE (Bray Institute of Further Education), I found the course quite easy, the only thing I found difficult was the maths, other than that its real easy, ended up getting 7 distinctions and a merit.

Level 6?

• Advertisement

Level 6?

Yep

what modules are on that course? i couldnt see it on their website and sometimes the courses vary from college to college, in greenhills you do the following

»Networks
    »Windows Programming
    »Operating Systems
    »Systems Maintenance
    »Web Authoring
    »Internet Programming Java
    »Mathematics
    »Communications

what modules are on that course? i couldnt see it on their website and sometimes the courses vary from college to college, in greenhills you do the following

»Networks
    »Windows Programming
    »Operating Systems
    »Systems Maintenance
    »Web Authoring
    »Internet Programming Java
    »Mathematics
    »Communications

I did;

Web Authoring (Level 6)
    Data Communications (Level 6)
    Systems Maintenance (level 6)
    Networks (Level 6)
    Maths For Computing (Level 5, credit Value .5)
    Communications (Level 6)
    Work Experience (Level 5, Credit Value 1.0)
    Relational Databases (Level 6)
    Windows Programming (Level 6)

All the math subjects on that course have a credit value of .5 so the marks are only worth half of what you would normally get, pass 10 not 20 etc.

Everything that is level 6 is worth more than you would get in a level 5, so if you get a distinction in a level 6 the grade is 50x1.25=62.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Be careful as most IoTs calculate entry points from Level 6 courses differently if it is for advanced entry. Unless you have the module codes be careful of assuming the Work Experience and Maths are at Level 5 as there are Level 6 modules in both.

Advertisement