Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A punt on first UK or Irish UFC champ

• 27-08-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

Who do you guys think would be the first one that might win a belt??

I was thinking possibly Ross Pearson :eek: maybe hathaway :confused:
    Both are possibly 2 - 3 fights away from a shot if they keep winning imo

There might be good odds maybe worth a few quid!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

Who do you guys think would be the first one that might win a belt??

I was thinking possibly Ross Pearson :eek: maybe hathaway :confused:
    Both are possibly 2 - 3 fights away from a shot if they keep winning imo

There might be good odds maybe worth a few quid!

I duno I like Pearson but I cant see him getting past the likes of Florain, Maynard or BJ.

Hathaways a fairly good bet in my opinion, if he can improve his striking he's in with a shot. If anyones going to take GSP out its going to be someone that can match his athletic ability and wrassling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Cant see any of the current bunch winning a belt to be honest. I thought Daley had a decent chance but he didnt half feck that up for himself. Out of the current lot, I suppose Hathaway, but I would be very suprised if he did.;

Mostapha Al-Turk is a shoe-in. :p

I'd have to go with Hathaway too after his win over Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Hathaway for the simple fact his wrestling is actually very good. Pearson later on will have to come upon some decent wrestlers in Maynard and Edgar. Andre Winner also has skills to be ranked pretty high in the LW division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

BJ and Kenflo would eat that pearson lad as a pre breakfast snack. then have a real breakfast. of perhaps a bran based cereal and some fresh fruit. with maybe a hydrolised whey protein beverage.

• Advertisement

Chris89 wrote: »
    BJ and Kenflo would eat that pearson lad as a pre breakfast snack. then have a real breakfast. of perhaps a bran based cereal and some fresh fruit. with maybe a hydrolised whey protein beverage.

Kenflo is getting beaten tomorrow night by Maynard.

not if kenflo chokes that little bald out

not if kenflo chokes that little bald out

If will have to be a choke from his back. IE a triangle.

Oh will it? Oh right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

i agree they would maul him now, but if he continues to develop his wrestling and with his atitude and stand up i think he could be a contender.
    he just needs his weetabix for breakfast first :D

• Advertisement

Hardy doesn't have that bad takedown defense which he showed in the Swick fight. The unfortunate thing was that GSP rules his division and it is going to take a fighter with the Skill set of Ryan Bader and Dan Henderson (Really good wrestler with KO power) to beat GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Hardy or Bisping.. :rolleyes:

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Hardy or Bisping.. :rolleyes:

Hardy has a better chance to be honest. Bisping trains with wolfslair and has an unreliable chin - a disastrous combination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

unknown13 wrote: »
    Hardy has a better chance to be honest. Bisping trains with wolfslair and has an unreliable chin - a disastrous combination

hi rovert

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

unknown13 wrote: »

I was more or less hoping the Hardy and Bisping haters would flock to that comment. I didn't want a real response :mad:

But then again, I can't see any British fighter winning a belt out of all of them that I know..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The only one i can see winning a title is Hathaway, they guy is mature beyond his years and will surely have a shot within the next 12-18 months.
    Probably the next title fight over in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

I'd like to see Ross Pearson do it, it's within his capabiltiy. Don't like Hardy but anyone who can do 5 rounds with GSP cannot be ruled out, though GSP to hold the title for a while to come.

As for a champ from Ireland, no offence to the lads who work their balls off training but let's be real, their's a better chance of Ireland winning the world cup in cricket than an Irish fighter winning the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Unfortunately for Hathaway, he's in a really competitive division. He won't beat GSP. If GSP retires, then he has a shot - but he still has to get around the likes of Koscheck who's a much better wrestler, Fitch and Alves. And then, throw Shields into the mix too. It's seriously doubtful that he can win a belt.

I don't think anyone from Ireland or Britain will win a title anytime soon. Not in the next 5 years, unless some new hotshot pops up.

i thought pearson before hathaway only because GSP looks pretty unbeatable and there is a lot of top guys to get through
    but i think at LW if BJ was champ it depends wat BJ turns up in a fight and he is not as consistent as GSP or Silva, not writing off edger just think BJ will win tonight
    im not saying pearson would beat BJ now im saying BJ can be inconsistent and someone with good standup and takedown defence wold make for a good fight against him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Pearson won't take a title either. He's decent, but he's hardly going to beat the likes of Penn or Edgar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

dlofnep wrote: »
    Pearson won't take a title either. He's decent, but he's hardly going to beat the likes of Penn or Edgar.
    They said the same about Frankie Edgar and BJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Tom "The Tank" Egan is our only bet, and he only had one fight in the UFC, so not any time soon.

The UK fighters (not sure why the thread title is Irish/UK)... Dan Hardy has had a title shot, Paul Daley a #1 contender shot but they've really had no one of the caliber to win a UFC belt. The best Europeans in the sport at the moment seem to be the Dutch, Stefan Struve, Overeem, Mousasi- there's a few around.

You never know, Cheik Kongo might get a run going. Anyone know who the top Irish Professional fighters around now that would potentially have a chance at fighting in the UFC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Tom "The Tank" Egan is our only bet, and he only had one fight in the UFC, so not any time soon.

The UK fighters (not sure why the thread title is Irish/UK)... Dan Hardy has had a title shot, Paul Daley a #1 contender shot but they've really had no one of the caliber to win a UFC belt. The best Europeans in the sport at the moment seem to be the Dutch, Stefan Struve, Overeem, Mousasi- there's a few around.

You never know, Cheik Kongo might get a run going. Anyone know who the top Irish Professional fighters around now that would potentially have a chance at fighting in the UFC?
    Stormin Norman. He has to be in everyones top 5 in the country at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

It will be interesting to see how Joseph Duffy gets on. His record is nothing short of shocking. Plus he beat Norman Parkes.

http://www.mmauniverse.com/fighters/SS13964

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Conor Hurley has a good ground game.:pac:

Oh_Noes wrote: »

Because they are different countries :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

flahavaj wrote: »
    Conor Hurley has a good ground game.:pac:

Hurley has a glass jaw though, couldnt see him making it out of the first tbh

looks like i may have been wrong about pearson!

ufc 120 could move a few of them closer to a shot....

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Pearson was doing well but got rocked by a big shot, maybe like Bisping flattered to decieve against lower opposition. Getting up higher really is a different league.

Cole Miller looked impressive and seems to be developing nicely as a MMA fighter since his stint in the TUF house. Ross Pearson can take that as an example and go forward

• Advertisement
Advertisement