Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal internships in ireland

Options
  • 27-08-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,

I'm from Germany and I'll be staying in Dublin for a couple of months. Since I'm a law student (almost finished) I'd like to do some sort of an internship to learn more about the Irish legal system and how things are done in Ireland. In Germany we have to spend a couple of months in law firms or courts of law to see what practising law is like.
    So my question is: do law students in Ireland have to do anything like that, too and, if so, how do I find such an internship in Dublin? I mean I've tried and found nothing. I don't expect to be paid so it'd be a win-win situation - at least European law is the same everywhere so my skills could be useful in Ireland, too...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

This would probably get better answers in the legal discussion forum.

Basically Irish students do internships as well, normally in their penultimate year. They are however very difficult to get. Most firms will be opening their applications for them if they have not already done so in the next few weeks.

The summer internships are used by a lot of firms to make a shortlist of who they will offer training contracts too. If you don't intend on practicing in Ireland you may find it difficult to get one as they will see you as taking up a place that could be filled by a potential employee.

Its worth a shot. Most firms even the big ones have dramatically cut down on the numbers they're taking on due to the economy so it wont be easy.

Sorry for that depressing post, but unfortunately its the reality at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

green909 wrote: »
    Basically Irish students do internships as well, normally in their penultimate year. They are however very difficult to get. Most firms will be opening their applications for them if they have not already done so in the next few weeks.

The summer internship applications for the majority of firms won't be uploaded until Feb/Mar 2011, it will only be apprenticeship applications that will be available for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 unitedbrands

Thanks for your answers.

That doesnt sound very promising. Im not planning on staying in Ireland so Im not a prospect employee for law firms - also, I lack qualification in Irish law.

Actually, a useful internship for me doesnt necessarily need to be with a law firm. I could perfectly well work for an NGO or something like that. It just needs to have something to do with law in some sense. But the minimum Id like to get out of an internship is a reference stating that my English is okay and that Im okay at dealing with legal problems.

Ive sent my cv to a couple of organisations where they help people with things like immigration or minor legal problems for free. I thought they might be in need of an additional hand they dont have to pay for. But none of them have written me back. I guess I just have to go to law firms and organisations when Im in Ireland and apply personally. Maybe that will help.

Its just I dont know where to start.

Advertisement