Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Strasburg - Tommy John Surgery

• 27-08-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this deserved a thread on its own as probably the most hyped pitcher in recent years (if not ever) has to undergo TJ surgery and will most likely miss all of next year.

What a blow to the Nationals who were on the verge of being relevant for the 1st time ever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 tumbling_dice

Yeah, what a blow to baseball in general. Strasburg was one of the best things the sport had going for it. Hopefully, the surgery works out for him. A lot of people are pointing out that Tommy John has a very high success rate these days. Maybe he can start the 2012 season with Bryce Harper and Jordan Zimmerman pitching behind him in the rotation. Wouldn't be great for the Mets though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yeah, what a blow to baseball in general. Strasburg was one of the best things the sport had going for it. Hopefully, the surgery works out for him. A lot of people are pointing out that Tommy John has a very high success rate these days. Maybe he can start the 2012 season with Bryce Harper and Jordan Zimmerman pitching behind him in the rotation. Wouldn't be great for the Mets though :D

Bryce Harper's not a pitcher but I presume you meant young players generally as opposed to just the rotation. The 1-2 punch of Strasburg and J. Zimmerman could be up there with the tops of any other MLB rotation. Add in Ryan Zimmerman and you have the nucleus of a great team that has the potential to be great.

I'm a Mets fan too and with the way they've played the last 4 years, we could be looking at proping up this division in a couple of years time! Even so, I've a soft spot for the Nats so hopefully Streaburg can come back and pitch like he can. He's great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 tumbling_dice

Yeah I know Harper's not a pitcher, just got my wording a bit crooked there. I hope Zimmerman comes back strong. That'd be a real shame if both he and Strasburg suffered after Tommy John. I''m not a Mets fan, I just remembered you were so I thought I'd drop that in there! I do have a friend a Mets fan. They've got a few nice things going for them in the next couple of years but they're also going to be playing in by far the hardest division in the NL, maybe only second to the AL East overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yeah I know Harper's not a pitcher, just got my wording a bit crooked there. I hope Zimmerman comes back strong. That'd be a real shame if both he and Strasburg suffered after Tommy John. I''m not a Mets fan, I just remembered you were so I thought I'd drop that in there! I do have a friend a Mets fan. They've got a few nice things going for them in the next couple of years but they're also going to be playing in by far the hardest division in the NL, maybe only second to the AL East overall.

In all honesty with the payroll they have, the Mets should be challenging for honours every year. Unfortunately they're one of the worst run franchises in baseball and until they get the mentality needed to run a successful organisation, they're always going to struggle. 2006 was a blip that led us into a false sense that management actually knew what they're at!

Advertisement