Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope issues

Options
  • 27-08-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

i'm having some doubts about the scope i put on my .223
    its nice and clear out to 200 yards, but after that the parralax is terrible.
    at 300 yards i can either see the crosshair or the target, depending on how i focus my eye, but i cant see both clearly.
    i'm gonna hold tough and give it more of a chance, but in the mean time can anyone reccomend a scope that would be suitable for both lamping and target work

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

What make & model is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

What make & model is it?
    its a leupold mk4 tactical 3.5-10x50 illuminated mildot, the guy i bought it from said its not a genuine leupold, but i bought it because it seemed to be the clearer of the two scopes i was looking at. the other was an NC star 4-12x50 illuminated red dot, but i didn't think it would be much good for target work

A copy of a Leupold is NOT a Leupold and as for NC Star, rubbish .............. don't take this wrong but ........... you get what ya pay for. Your lucky it's OK at 200 :(

How much ya pay for this "copy"?

A copy of a Leupold is NOT a Leupold and as for NC Star, rubbish .............. don't take this wrong but ........... you get what ya pay for. Your lucky it's OK at 200 :(

How much ya pay for this "copy"?
    €300

Not rubbing your nose in it BUT I bought a Leupold (NOT A COPY) VX1 4-12 x 40 for €300 delivered and it's a great scope from here

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/default.asp

If you want to shoot targets to 300 yards you really need to be looking at something like a Leupold VX III, I have one on my Swift, S&B etc. The scope should cost as much if not more than the rifle to get the best out of any rifle IMO

• Advertisement

Not rubbing your nose in it BUT I bought a Leupold (NOT A COPY) VX1 4-12 x 40 for €300 delivered and it's a great scope from here

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/default.asp

If you want to shoot targets to 300 yards you really need to be looking at something like a Leupold VX III, I have one on my Swift, S&B etc. The scope should cost as much if not more than the rifle to get the best out of any rifle IMO

you're probably right but i just cant afford to spend any more than 500 on a scope right now, thats including getting 300 for the scope ive got. i'm not going to be doing any target work until next year, so all i need is a clear scope that'll enable me to shoot foxes out to 250 yards under a lamp, preferably with an illuminated reticule.
    any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i wouldn't now as much as bunny about scopes etc but i have been looking at scopes for a new project im thinking of and all the us sights are all talk about mueller scopes meant to be very very good

jap gt the knowlegde I have has cost me a bloody fortune tbh. I've owned and sold loads of scopes :rolleyes:

Declan this is exactly what ya want for lamping foxes with the .223 and at the right price too. And in my experience FORGET illuminated reticle, it's a gimmick and you won't need it with that S & B ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056013158

Getting €300 for what you have will be the hard part :(

thanks bunny, i was looking at that earlier on. but like i said, i'll hold tough for the time being. what i have will do me out to 200 yards for now, and i'll need more magnification if i want to do target shooting at the midlands next year, so i'll put some time into some research.
    i do like the illuminated scopes though as i have trouble seeing crosshairs under a lamp at times, because i tend to focus almost totally on the fox

thanks for the input i'll take it all into consideration when i upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Dear Mr 1980 - assuming you take bunny shooter's excellent advice about this scope, take a few minutes to set it up properly before you take to the field.

1. Get the reticle in perfect focus by looking straight up at the clear sky [I know how difficult that can be in Ireland, what with all the rain, but do your best].

2. Having done that, set the focus on the eyepiece so that it is the sharpest thing you see.

3. THEN set the parallax adjustment for the range/target you are looking at.

There is just one teeny little thing here, though, especially if you are using an infra-red illuminator. Because of the slightly longer wave-length of IR radiation, you will need to make a slight adjustment to any parallax setting you have to take that difference into account. If you need to be convinced, please look at the lens barrel of an old SLR camera, where you will see an off-set mark on the focussing ring to adjust for using IR film.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

there is a4-16-50 mil dot nikko sterling scope on that site bunny linked to in the clearance section that is very good value and probably better than what you bought
    i had a nikko scope for years and it was great a friend has one on a 6.5 and it's performed well for years
    i have one of those s&b scopes on my 223 and its brilliant for evening/lamp at dusk you can actually see more with it than with the naked eye

declan1980 wrote: »
    thanks bunny, i was looking at that earlier on. but like i said, i'll hold tough for the time being. what i have will do me out to 200 yards for now, and i'll need more magnification if i want to do target shooting at the midlands next year, so i'll put some time into some research.
    i do like the illuminated scopes though as i have trouble seeing crosshairs under a lamp at times, because i tend to focus almost totally on the fox

thanks for the input i'll take it all into consideration when i upgrade

That scope (S&B 8x56) would be brilliant for foxing & general shooting............target is a whole different ball game and tbh outside my experience ;)

I have a Leupold VX III on my Swift and it's excellent out to 300 yards though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

a friend of my father whi does a lot of lamping has a vx3-L 4.5-14x56 and loves it, i here they are a great scope, what model have you bunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I could never get on with my Leupold at night. Clear as a bell by day. Found the eye relief to be very fussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

johngalway wrote: »
    I could never get on with my Leupold at night. Clear as a bell by day. Found the eye relief to be very fussy.

Bunny does not like alium reticle

But IMvHO the NPR2 Illum Nightforce reticle is beyond reproach in poor light!

Especially on smaller sized quarry

I have used all the High end scopes, I would not use any without illum

With Illum you can have a very fine reticle and yet clearly see it!

I've a "Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x50mm" and I love it, even at night :cool:

Did take a while to get the eye relief right though.

I never use the illuminated reticle, can't stand them. Four out of the five scopes I've owned have had them but that's coincidental. Not had a problem yet with the NPR2 out to 275 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

is there any differance in the glass between the vxIII and vx 3, i heard before that the vx3 L has the same glass as the vx7 which is meant to be very close to european standard

ormondprop wrote: »
    is there any differance in the glass between the vxIII and vx 3, i heard before that the vx3 L has the same glass as the vx7 which is meant to be very close to european standard

Not sure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

johngalway wrote: »
    I never use the illuminated reticle, can't stand them. Four out of the five scopes I've owned have had them but that's coincidental. Not had a problem yet with the NPR2 out to 275 anyway.

How on earth do you consistently use the NP-R2 reticle under a lamp without illuminating it.

Even illuminated I find it tough but I suppose my min magnification is 12 as opposed to 5. Could be the cause of the problems really

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    How on earth do you consistently use the NP-R2 reticle under a lamp without illuminating it.

Even illuminated I find it tough but I suppose my min magnification is 12 as opposed to 5. Could be the cause of the problems really

Them Galway Men hate Technology, after Dusk I find it the Bees Knees
    You can't see the ret without it as it is very fine IMvHO

Them Galway Men hate Technology, after Dusk I find it the Bees Knees
    You can't see the ret without it as it is very fine IMvHO
    whats the illuminated reticle like on the nxs. is it true thats its only got one power setting?

whats the illuminated reticle like on the nxs. is it true thats its only got one power setting?

You can set the power by taking off teh adj from the parralax.
    I have mine on medium ilum, saves on battery and easier on your own night vision as you don't want to blind yourself.

If I think of it when I am home wed I'll take a few pics and show you.
    If you can't find out on the net before then of course :D

Update

Adjusting the variable illumination
    reticle intensity on the NXS riflescope.

When the Nightforce NXS reticle illumination system is activated it will illuminate at one
    predetermined setting. You have the ability to change the reticle illumination intensity by turning a
    small rheostat located inside the battery compartment. Using a small jewelers screwdriver, turn the
    rheostat counter clockwise to increase the illumination intensity or turn the rheostat clockwise to
    decrease the illumination intensity.

Vegeta wrote: »

Just gifted I guess Veg :D I dunno, I never had a problem using it that way. When I tried illumination, even at very very low levels I found it made the crosshairs "fuzzy" at the edges which either immensely distracted me from the target or didn't suit my eyes. For shooting I use 8x mag, and for past 200 yards, and when I remember to, I crank it up to 11/12x. But I've never had a problem seeing the crosshairs on this particular scope. My previous NF 3.5-15x50 was a different kettle of fish.

No, you can change it using a small screwdriver as Tack says above. But, this is a fussy business as first you need to unscrew the cap on the parallax adjustment turret, then remove the battery, then adjust the screw, then replace battery & turret cap. The test, then do over again if you're not happy, most likely turning the little screw the wrong direction in the process resulting in...

:mad: and many curses :D

My current scope is 2nd hand and the previous joker has either jammed or glued the cap shut, battery is knackered but I don't use it so in practical terms it's not a problem.

ok, that does it. i'm just gonna have to go and buy a feckin nightforce now.
    will the sako optilok mounts be ok for a nightforce scope?

ok, that does it. i'm just gonna have to go and buy a feckin nightforce now.
    will the sako optilok mounts be ok for a nightforce scope?

If they are 30mm they should be good

Advertisement