Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis introduction and conclusion

Options
  • 27-08-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm just finishing off my thesis (:D:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D) and I've got a quick question. I remember being told by my supervisor that as a general rule of thumb that either:

(a) the introduction is twice as long as the conclusion
    (b) the conclusion is twice as long as the introduction

So, which is it? I'm hoping (a) cos I hate writing conclusions! But either way, just want to get it finished at this stage!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thesis.direct

Conclusion can be shorter than the introduction. As a general rule, nothing new in the conclusion expect a few items such as suggestions for future research.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Conclusion can be shorter than the introduction. As a general rule, nothing new in the conclusion expect a few items such as suggestions for future research.

My conclusion was pretty short. Mainly due to the fact that i concluded each chapter in my thesis, and it was unnecessary to repeat it (as i was limited word wise.)
    As thesis.direct noted, commenting on future research would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I had my suggestions at the end of the discussion section, just because it seemed to fit. Would it be better to move it to the conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Hi OP! Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread!

Im currently trying to start my Conclusion chapter and I have it temporarily labelled Recommendations and Conclusions, is this okay? Not really sure what i should be recommending apart from ideas for further research? =/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

OP, would you consider making the conclusion around the same length as the introduction? You split it into half, summarise the evidence and findings and then make proposals (put these into bullet points, then write a small paragraph on each. Just a suggestion, I haven't even gotten that far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

My conclusion was a lot longer than my Introduction, pages longer. It included the future work section which was massive. My work covered a number of areas and even though I had a conclusion and discussion section at the end of each chapter I used the final conclusion to pull them all together into a cohesive narrative. The way I approached it was to write it as if it was all ayone was going to read of the work. If they wanted more detail, they could read the chapters themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Moojuice I did the opposite!:pac: Spent about 3 pages on the conclusion but about 6-7 on the introduction. It helped to summarising each chapter. However, I'm now about 1,000 words over the limit... time to edit me thinks!

Advertisement