Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

star Trek Series What's Next?

Options
  • 27-08-2010 11:34pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is a New series possible?
    If there was to be a new series what would if be about?
    Could we focus on after voyager of further into the future?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What's that got to do with Star Trek?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they are going to continue ass raping the franchise with the sequels to Trek 09 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I liked TNG because it was like European trek, it was very progressive, intellectual and so on. TOS was good because it espoused the positive aspects of the American enlightenment philosophy. But Voyager was like when the evangelists got in charge, Janeway was always right, ethically wrong decisions were made acceptable like when she killed Tuvix, the borg were ruined, she would have made a good republican. And even DS9 was a bit war mongering. What I like in trek isn't the war aspect, there are enough series doing that already, I watch it for character development the exploration of deep issues. So I'd like to see a new series incorporate that in addition to distinctive unique characters rather than cliched ones which are supposed to be acceptable to the mainstream audience, but I fear it will be more gung ho Americana.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I liked TNG because it was like European trek, it was very progressive, intellectual and so on. TOS was good because it espoused the positive aspects of the American enlightenment philosophy. But Voyager was like when the evangelists got in charge, Janeway was always right, ethically wrong decisions were made acceptable like when she killed Tuvix, the borg were ruined, she would have made a good republican. And even DS9 was a bit war mongering. What I like in trek isn't the war aspect, there are enough series doing that already, I watch it for character development the exploration of deep issues. So I'd like to see a new series incorporate that in addition to distinctive unique characters rather than cliched ones which are supposed to be acceptable to the mainstream audience, but I fear it will be more gung ho Americana.

Good points. And Archer is definitely the Trek version of George Dumb-ass Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd worry that any new Trek series would be more action than exploration based.

Would be fantastic to see a modern good budget Trek series that focused on science and exploration. Imagine what they could have done with TOS or TNG stories if they had current day production values and effects!

DS9 was a good series but it cut it the exploration and science aspect of the show, imo.

ST '09 was a fantastic film and that sort of action works fine in a stand alone 2hrs in the cinema... but a Trek series should be about Treking, exploration, new worlds, science and discovery. The action just happens in-between, not visa-versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

http://www.stphoenix.com/

This fan based series has a petition up to make it the next official series

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    http://www.stphoenix.com/

This fan based series has a petition up to make it the next official series
    That looks interesting. Downloading the (first part of?) the first episode now.

These fan series' though... seems to be a trend among them to have god awful websites. This one looks fancy but trying to get information out of it is like blood from a stone.

Anyway, according to a press release (in PDF format... argh!), pre-production on the second part of the first episode hasn't even begun yet. I'll watch it anyway, and fair play to them for getting it done and released for nothing... but if it's anything like ST: New Voyages / Phase 2, the wait for part 2 is probably going to kill my interest.

And speaking of that... must check for a new episode of Phase 2!

// edit
    Watched Phoenix. Quite nice... but really, too little to get excited about. It was over before it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ugh, bald Romulans with tattoos. Gay.

Jim wrote: »
    Ugh, bald Romulans with tattoos.
    Yeah, that too. It was explained in (the comics the led up to) ST '09 that the Romulan crew shaved the heads and gave themselves tattoos to visualise their loss. Wasn't meant as an update to the entire race, afaik.
    Gay.
    Hmm, I didn't get that impression. Maybe your gaydar is a bit finer tuned than mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ugh, bald Romulans with tattoos. Gay.

More ghey than the TNG male crewmembers in the skirt uniforms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

EnterNow wrote: »

Those vanished quite quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they were "progressive"
    (and ghey)

Those vanished quite quickly

Nevertheless, there were blokes in skirts in it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Picard had good legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Nevertheless, there were blokes in skirts in it :pac:

Perhaps they were just the Scottish crew members...

azezil wrote: »
    Perhaps they were just the Scottish crew members...

Who then went on to terraform Caldos IV....? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Picard had good legs.

His "dress" uniform in the first series included spandex tights I seem to remember.
    (or more likely 24th century iso-spandex :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

They could do a multi-arc Mission Impossible-style show with a dynamic group of Starfleet Intelligence characters who pick up the pieces when things turn nasty. Imagine their foes: Obsidian Order and Tal Shi'ar, to name a few. Section 31 rears its head. Would be awesome.

Advertisement