Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilrush to get Tesco Petrol Station.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Compete or die, same for any small business

The local petrol stations can use this as an opportunity to shake up their business.
    Expand the shop and offer cheap petrol to get more customers maybe

Sitting back and complaining isn't going to separate you from the crowd.

Not picking a fight , but where are they going to get the money to expand their shops? the banks arent lending money to small businesses and the few that are will not give money to a forecourt that will soon have tesco as their main competitor.

Offer cheap petrol, where will this cheap petrol magically appear from?? retailers only make 4-7 cents a litre and out of that they have to pay their costs, they have no room to drop their prices.

tesco are huge !! they import their own petrol so have no middle man to pay, the small retailer cant do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know petrol stations make only a few cent per litre, it's a tough business for sure.

And know it's very difficult for a small business to get a loan.

Look, I don't have all the solutions. All I can say is the petrol station owners better look for a new solution to differentiate themselves from everyone else.
    Sitting back and complaining over Tesco won't help, every new difficulty is an opportunity :)

If they don't have a deli or hot food or wine licence then now is time to get one.
    There is more profit in a litre of bottled water then a litre of petrol so get a good store and try to make it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Palmach wrote: »
    I live in West Clare. Unlike you I run a local business. I am arguing with ignorance here and the good old fashioned peasant mentality of "shur tis chayper dare" that is alive and kicking in the West of Ireland. Read two books Shopped and Not On The Label about the wasteland that is the centre of British towns and cities thanks to the likes of Tesco. Then come back to me.

You had a go at me for pointing out that we pay above the average for petrol in West Clare, and now you say you run a local business? What sort of local business man belittles peoples concerns over two cents per litre and then bitches and moans when people go elsewhere cause it's cheaper? You make your bed you can lie in it. Either wake up to the fact that every cent counts these days or get another line of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

You had a go at me for pointing out that we pay above the average for petrol in West Clare, and now you say you run a local business? What sort of local business man belittles peoples concerns over two cents per litre and then bitches and moans when people go elsewhere cause it's cheaper? You make your bed you can lie in it. Either wake up to the fact that every cent counts these days or get another line of work.

Like I said in another post read the two books I mnetioned and you'll see that there is more than 2 cents in it. A lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

ppearse wrote: »
    So exactly who are Tesco supposed to have closed down ? Brews perhaps ?? I think Brews problems were happening long before Tesco arrived. Tesco sell mainly grocery goods so I dont think that could have affected Brews. O Rourkes Londis shop maybe ? Well I think O Rourkes was up for sale even before Tesco arrived. So exactly who have Tesco closed ??

tesco was the final nail in the coffin for the business that did close down. Examples of businesses that have closed down recently......
    brews
    clohessy's
    the mace on moore street
    nolans (soon to close)

All of these (and more) are businesses that have been in the town for years and years.

Of course people want bargains and will shop where it is cheaper to shop but that doesnt make it good for a community. when large chunks of the town are boarded up over the next few years, as well as there being less money in the town it could lead to antisocial behaviour as boarded up premises tend to attract such behaviour.

In my opinion, and I state its just my opinion, Kilrush will be a lot worse off in 5 years time than it is now. and yes I will attribute that directly to Tesco.

I know (very well) the owners of 2 of the shops that have closed down recently and both stated that Tesco was the final nail in the coffin for them, and if Tesco hadn't opened in Kilrush that they would have struggled on until this recession was over (as they did in the past).

It's all well and good in the short term getting everything cheaper (and I for one am a big fan of cheap), but when you know deep down that its going to have a massive impact on a community then it's heartbreaking.

there's a very good site online that outlines in detail towns in britain where tesco opened and the subsequent closing of large numbers of shops in those towns. Unfortunately I cant find the site but will edit this post and add it once I find it again. Makes for a very interesting read.

As for the petrol pumps, I wouldnt be surprised if 2 very close petrol stations close down within the year once Tesco open theirs. Wheres the competition then?

Someone mentioned that the other shops should just reduce their prices to compete. Impossible. The buying power of an independent retailer just cannot stand up to a multi-multi-multi billion £ company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Compete or die, same for any small business

The local petrol stations can use this as an opportunity to shake up their business.
    Expand the shop and offer cheap petrol to get more customers maybe

Sitting back and complaining isn't going to separate you from the crowd.

Unfortunately Tesco operate their petrol stations as a loss leader (ie: to get customers in the door of their supermarkets).

Same goes for their flowers and many other products. small business obviously cant compete with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

tesco was the final nail in the coffin for the business that did close down. Examples of businesses that have closed down recently......
    brews
    clohessy's
    the mace on moore street
    nolans (soon to close)

All of these (and more) are businesses that have been in the town for years and years.

Of course people want bargains and will shop where it is cheaper to shop but that doesnt make it good for a community. when large chunks of the town are boarded up over the next few years, as well as there being less money in the town it could lead to antisocial behaviour as boarded up premises tend to attract such behaviour.

In my opinion, and I state its just my opinion, Kilrush will be a lot worse off in 5 years time than it is now. and yes I will attribute that directly to Tesco.

I know (very well) the owners of 2 of the shops that have closed down recently and both stated that Tesco was the final nail in the coffin for them, and if Tesco hadn't opened in Kilrush that they would have struggled on until this recession was over (as they did in the past).

It's all well and good in the short term getting everything cheaper (and I for one am a big fan of cheap), but when you know deep down that its going to have a massive impact on a community then it's heartbreaking.

there's a very good site online that outlines in detail towns in britain where tesco opened and the subsequent closing of large numbers of shops in those towns. Unfortunately I cant find the site but will edit this post and add it once I find it again. Makes for a very interesting read.

As for the petrol pumps, I wouldnt be surprised if 2 very close petrol stations close down within the year once Tesco open theirs. Wheres the competition then?

Someone mentioned that the other shops should just reduce their prices to compete. Impossible. The buying power of an independent retailer just cannot stand up to a multi-multi-multi billion £ company.

Good article here which outlines the extent of the problem:

http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/briefings/the_tesco_takeover.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Good article here which outlines the extent of the problem:

http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/briefings/the_tesco_takeover.pdf

Good article even if a little out of date.

Thought this was quite relevant to the whole debate

"Tesco claims to create more jobs but the figures do not add up. In 2004, UK small grocery shops had a turnover of around £21 billion and employed more than 500,000 whilst Tesco, with a £29bn turnover, employed just 250,000 people."

So it would seem short term employment, construction etc long term unemployment, job losses, business closures etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

That means we spend, on average, 20% more on fuel than our urban cousins

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

But isn't that a simplified way of looking at the issue? The reality is people in Kilrush and the surrounding areas already travel to places like Ennis where there already is a Tesco and Dunnes to do their weekly shopping as a rule. They only go an pickup bits and bobs from the local markets sure.

If anything putting a Tesco in town merely stops the slow death the local markets were already dying from.

I live in Ennis, and I buy pretty much everything for my house (outside of food and things) online or via Argos. This is a growing trend which isn't going away. It's the same issue and same argument for other shops sure. Local electronic shops can't complete with large retailers. Large retailers are now online. As more people move their shopping online more local shops close. Thats how economy works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Source?

My bad, it's actually 50% for petrol not 20%.

"Rural households spend almost 50% more per week on petrol than urban ones (€27.67 compared to €20.56) and almost four times as much on diesel."

www.irishrurallink.ie/ and look up the article on Carbon Tax and Rural Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The problem with Tesco and their ilk is the loss leader stuff is very iffy. If they can wipe out all the competition by selling below cost then they get a monopoly. We've all seen this with Wall Mart in the US. I'm a student in Cork but I still find much better prices (and infinitely better quality) on groceries in the English Market than I do in Tesco.

The most blatent below cost selling they've been doing in the last few years are on games. Fifa/Pro Evo 20XX would sell for 60 euro every Christmas but Tesco started pricing them at 27euro or less. They must have been making a huge loss. Game are now doing very badly, and I'd say Gamestop aren't that healthy either. When those two chains go to the wall they'll up the prices to original levels and I'll have no choice about what to buy other than the top 10. (I know it's all going digital distribution eventually anyway but you get the idea.. same thing with Virgin/Zavvi/RecordRack etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

But sure, thats capitalism.

The ultimate outcome of capitalism is the second richest man dies of starvation.

Businesses have responsibilities to shareholders, not the public. They make a profit. If they don't, the top brass are sacked and someone willing to bring in more cut throat tactics is put in place.

Ireland for sometime has been like many parts of Europe - immune to this as companies didn't see a large enough bottom line.

These days every 8 year old has a mobile, and every home has an Xbox or PS3, thanks to the, now dead, Celtic Tiger.

Eitherway the quality of life has imporved dramatically compared to what people lived like even in the 80's around the country. Businesses know this and are here to cater to the WANTS and not just the NEEDS.

Asda (aka Wal-mart) will be coming here soon and setting up shop. Wait till that happens sure.

Ever see that episode of South Park about Wal-mart? Its funny, sad, and very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thomas353

i think tesco kilrush should be more concerned about how they treat there customers IN the store, everytime i go there just because i have a basket and not a trolley they drag me over to the self service scanners!!!! its not that i cannot use them its the fact that i have spent an hour walking around there poorly designed aisles trying to find my good!!!!!! why the hell should i be expected to scan and bag my own produce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ppearse

[PHP][/PHP]
    thomas353 wrote: »
    i think tesco kilrush should be more concerned about how they treat there customers IN the store, everytime i go there just because i have a basket and not a trolley they drag me over to the self service scanners!!!! its not that i cannot use them its the fact that i have spent an hour walking around there poorly designed aisles trying to find my good!!!!!! why the hell should i be expected to scan and bag my own produce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

You could of course be more assertive and say " no thanks , Id rather use the manned checkout" They are only trying to be helpful and prevent queues from forming.

Regarding the layout of the aisles , they do have big signs over each aisle clearly showing whats in the aisle.

And failing all that , you can always shop elswhere as is your right.

i have mentioned that i was happy to wait and be served at the tills that are manned, the lady explained to me the same reason as you just did, that there there to stop queues, she then explained that some customers are to lazy to use them, who do you think she was refering to when she said that, the queues lose them business, thats it! they have no concern for the customers as long as they pay and are quick about it, and the signs are no help, get a reasonable comment to place and dont be so pedantic...... dictionary.com if you need help there,

And while im on the subject of poorly designed aisles, why is the toilet roll on the same aisle as the cereal? the last person to comment must think this is an ingenious thought of fibre equals bowel movement which in turn gives an overall figure of toilet paper..... very appealing.

i have mentioned that i was happy to wait and be served at the tills that are manned, the lady explained to me the same reason as you just did, that there there to stop queues, she then explained that some customers are to lazy to use them, who do you think she was refering to when she said that, the queues lose them business, thats it! they have no concern for the customers as long as they pay and are quick about it, and the signs are no help, get a reasonable comment to place and dont be so pedantic...... dictionary.com if you need help there,

I dont need to look up dictonary.com to find out what pedantic means unlike yourself who needs the help of a dictonary.

And as said before . Go elsewhere.

I dont need to look up dictonary.com to find out what pedantic means unlike yourself who needs the help of a dictonary.

And as said before . Go elsewhere.
    CAN YOU READ AGAIN WHAT YOU WROTE? LOL, ITS A SCHOOL NIGHT YA KNOW.

CAN YOU READ AGAIN WHAT YOU WROTE? LOL, ITS A SCHOOL NIGHT YA KNOW.

Perhaps you are referring to a couple of typing errors in my spelling ??
    Well perhaps you might have a read of your original post !!

And since when is "you" spelt YA. You need to look up that dictionary.com again. :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Perhaps you are referring to a couple of typing errors in my spelling ??
    Well perhaps you might have a read of your original post !!

And since when is "you" spelt YA. You need to look up that dictionary.com again. :D:D:D:D:D:D

OK Thomas 353 lets call a truce. This is what I hate about these bloody forums. This thread was originally about a petrol station in Kilrush and now it has decended into trading insults. Game over . I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 benix1

come on this is about tesco petrol station in kilrush its not about spelling

not once did i mention his spelling? read my post before you comment, the reason i quoted him is because the quote "i dont have to look in a dictionary like you" sounds comparable to the come back of a ten year old.

so i read the planing permission

(and when are they building it???:confused::confused::confused:)

i would like to add the petrol stations in kilrush have an add on like topas sells used cars top is a garage (o'shes) and maxoil is mace and a add on hardware shop but maxoil is very good at keeping people there

also tesco store isnt even cheap!!!

You could of course be more assertive and say " no thanks , Id rather use the manned checkout" They are only trying to be helpful and prevent queues from forming.

Regarding the layout of the aisles , they do have big signs over each aisle clearly showing whats in the aisle.

And failing all that , you can always shop elswhere as is your right.
    yes this is true

benix1 wrote: »
    they did add water and thats ****ing stuipid but about 1 percent per 200 gallons (you may not have heard this but my wifes friend was at maxoil after the floods and 65 percent of the petrol was water car is still not the same)

Explain to me how they "added water"? Adding water to petrol is not as simple as opening up the tank and firing in a couple of gallons of water y'know?

Petrol and water separate in a tank.
    Petrol floats on water.
    In order to mix petrol and water together you would need a strong emulsifier.

These are very expensive and any make it so that adding water to petrol would actually end up costing you more than just buying petrol outright.

No garage in Ireland would willfully mix water and petrol together, it doesn't make any sense. Tesco are no different.

Is that post in code or something? Its not making any sense to me.
    did you even got to school?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

5 libellous posts about fuel-tampering removed.
    benix1 and thomas353 red-carded for personal abuse.

If you have a problem with a post, use the Report Post button (report.gif) next to it and I'll deal with it.

Do not ruin threads by reducing conversation to the level of petty insults.
    This thread is now beyond redemption, and has been locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement