Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student grants

• 28-08-2010 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

i was just wondering where do i bring the application form for a student grant. or do i have to send it by post?
    also when do u receive the money , or how does this whole thing work?
    im a bit confused . if u get the grant later in the year , do they give you the lump sum for the period missed? thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

It has to be returned to your local VEC or county council, I assume if you're close to the offices you can just hand it in, or post it.

AFAIK, when you register for college you take the option not to pay the 1500 reg free provided that you can show your grant application to the college admissions office so that they know it will be paid for, but not by you. You then get the grant in 3 installments, equally spaced out throughout the year. You probably won't have it before you start college though so you may have to pay for some of your accommodation/expenses yourself before you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

viky wrote: »
    i was just wondering where do i bring the application form for a student grant. or do i have to send it by post?
    also when do u receive the money , or how does this whole thing work?
    im a bit confused . if u get the grant later in the year , do they give you the lump sum for the period missed? thanx

You send the application to your local VEC, NOT the VEC where you plan to go to college.

If you live close enough to your local VEC as far as I am aware you can just hand it in.

When you recieve the money depends on which grant you get, there are three different grants given out, one if for those doing a FETAC/PLC course, the second is for those doing a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]National Certificate (Level 6) or [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]National Diploma/Ordinary Degree (Level 7, the last is for those doing an [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Honours Degree (Level 8).

The Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) Grants are paid on the
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]last working day of every month commencing in October. This grant is paid directly into your bank account.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Third Level Trainees (TLT) grants (Level 6 and 7) are paid per term I think with the first payment again being in October. This grant is paid via your college, they will give you a cheque

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The VEC Scholarship grant (Level 8) is paid per term starting in October.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This grant is paid via your college, they will give you a cheque.

As far as I know this information is accurate, my apologies if it is not.

In regards to payments missed I do believe they pay the missed amount in a lump.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Advertisement