Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The typical Boards.ie LC student.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No offense, but I wasn't expecting to humour people such as yourself. If you've made it to the moderator status you clearly opt to take most things seriously, and although i admire that quality, I honestly can't say I wasn't expecting to make you and other people who think I'm "tarnishing the name of the Leaving Cert forum with ill-informed sniping" laugh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

No offense, but I wasn't expecting to humour people such as yourself. If you've made it to the moderator status you clearly opt to take most things seriously, and although i admire that quality, I honestly can't say I wasn't expecting to make you and other people who think I'm "tarnishing the name of the Leaving Cert forum with ill-informed sniping" laugh.

I must say that I find the mods of this forum to have a very good sense of humour. And you'd be hard pressed to find better mods anywhere else on the site, the night of the CAO offers being case in point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

You clearly don't know Randy:rolleyes:

theowen wrote: »
    You clearly don't know Randy:rolleyes:

Well as it's all friends here I'm hardly going to win...but I'll give it a shot.

It would be far less offensive to be personally insulted about your grades than to read about how casually someone shunned aside your achievement and overshadowed it with his or her own. Although you could beg to differ, I stand firm by that point.

Another thing, I wasn't being overly insulting. I didn't insult a single person in any of my posts, and I don't know why you think I did. Yes there is some crude humour, but nothing totally obscene and certainly nothing that you couldn't ignore.

Also, I don't exactly take kindly to your telling me how to write my threads and the exact level of humour and seriousness I should include. If you think I'm "chippy" or perhaps ignorant, surely you can keep it to yourself? I appreciate that you agree with my basic point, but surely you'd agree that how I make that point is up to me? If you disagree, then feel free to make a thread describing in great detail how wonderful everyone on Boards is and what a pleasure it's been for you to work with them, and how they're always down to earth, modest, humble and reserved when stating their achievements :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No offense, but I wasn't expecting to humour people such as yourself.
    No offence taken, I'm clearly a humourless drudgeon after all! :rolleyes:
    If you've made it to the moderator status you clearly opt to take most things seriously
    Heh, you definitely haven't been here long! :pac: I can think of a few Mods who could prove that statement wrong.
    I honestly can't say I wasn't expecting to make you and other people who think I'm "tarnishing the name of the Leaving Cert forum with ill-informed sniping" laugh.

I just didn't like the way you were constantly referring to the so-called typical boards.ie LC'er, because that sort of behaviour is not at all typical of the regular posters here. That's all.
    If the OP was just a piece of light-hearted satire and not an attack on this forum, then fair enough; apologies if I misunderstood.

But just so long as you know that the vast majority of posters on this forum are helpful, decent students and not at all representative of the type of student you're giving out about.

• Advertisement

No offence taken, I'm clearly a humourless drudgeon after all!

Proven me wrong...touche ( The e should have an accent on it but I don't know how to put them on). ( the e in accent should have an accent on it but I don't know how to put them on)...and so on ad infinitum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Well as it's all friends here I'm hardly going to win...but I'll give it a shot.

It would be far less offensive to be personally insulted about your grades than to read about how casually someone shunned aside your achievement and overshadowed it with his or her own. Although you could beg to differ, I stand firm by that point.

Another thing, I wasn't being overly insulting. I didn't insult a single person in any of my posts, and I don't know why you think I did. Yes there is some crude humour, but nothing totally obscene and certainly nothing that you couldn't ignore.

Also, I don't exactly take kindly to your telling me how to write my threads and the exact level of humour and seriousness I should include. If you think I'm "chippy" or perhaps ignorant, surely you can keep it to yourself? I appreciate that you agree with my basic point, but surely you'd agree that how I make that point is up to me? If you disagree, then feel free to make a thread describing in great detail how wonderful everyone on Boards is and what a pleasure it's been for you to work with them, and how they're always down to earth, modest, humble and reserved when stating their achievements :D
    Your opinion^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Guys, per ardua, ad astra.

Think of that and you will get what you want in your Leaving.

And forget about everyone else, and your typical boards.ie LC'er. Think of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

DB10 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that!

Btw I really hate when people say they got an A,B,C or 450 points etc with "no work".

Come off it people! If most people done "no work" they would get around 0-150 points and that isn't a slight on people who got those points.

I got 460 and I genuinely felt like I felt feck all work in - I know I did do a bit like but I really really could have got so so so so much better if I'd done 3-4 hours study every night like some people did - I got an A2 in English which was a complete fluke imo but I'll not complain
    Got an B1 in physics out of pretty much listening in class - I just understood it and never found anything difficult - which is probably why I only got a B - because I never did a bit of study for physics bar the night before pretty much

I know a lot of people find physics or whatever difficult but I just could always understand it despite my complete lack of effort study wise - I listened in class and that's pretty much it - hardly once opened my notes bar to check 1-2 things every now and then but when the end of the year came I could just remember it all without even opening a book

Some people can achieve really good results without any effort in certain subjects but anyone who says they got anything about 530ish with feck all work is really lying - Doing an hour or 2 study a night is doing a lot but people don't acknowledge this enough - that is working - not opening a book and acting the eijit is not doing a lot

just remember anyone who comes on the leaving cert board is more than likely a nerd or really trying to get a good mark despite being a weaker student
    the average joe who couldn't give a toss lazy doesn't come on here so we only get either end of the spectrum really so

I'll miss leaving the LC board in some ways but others I won't - and in others I mean the people who get 560 points and aren't happy at all:rolleyes: i don't care if you want to be a doctor - you can be anything else - get on with it....

but to conclude - don't just assume certain people can't get an A1 in some subjects - just because you mightn't be great at it doesn't mean others can't

some young fellas can kick a 45 of the ground in gaelic football or other lads can skull a pint of guiness in one chug and others can get an A1 in YYYYY subject with feck all work - it's hard to understand how you can do this unless your in that person's shoes but then to them they can't comprehend why others complain about that subject being hard

vicious circle I know but that's the way it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The fact that someone says "Hey, I'm delighted, I got X number of points, I got my course" doesn't mean that they intend to put down, shun or overshadow anyone ... they're just happy, and they have a right to be.
    Another thing, I wasn't being overly insulting. I didn't insult a single person in any of my posts, and I don't know why you think I did.
    Yes, you did. You called the users of this forum "arrogant cocky gits" for one thing, or a fair proportion of them. You may not have insulted individuals, but that doesn't make it any less insulting.
    Also, I don't exactly take kindly to your telling me how to write my threads and the exact level of humour and seriousness I should include. If you think I'm "chippy" or perhaps ignorant, surely you can keep it to yourself? I appreciate that you agree with my basic point, but surely you'd agree that how I make that point is up to me?
    Within limits, yes, but you overstepped those limits somewhat. And it's my job as a moderator, and Knifey's, to step in at that stage and "moderate" the discussion.

The founder / owner of this site often says that the rules around here could be boiled down into two:

1. Be civil

2. Don't be a dick

You may be used to forums where it is more acceptable to come out of your corner fists flying, but we don't do things that way around here, and especially in the specific-purpose forums like LC.

Now, we could very easily have been heavy-handed and banned you, or closed the thread ... but we did neither. Instead we engaged with you. So much for the Nazi moderators of Boards! :rolleyes:

In fact, my main message to you was that if you wanted to make a point (and yes, I could see where you were coming from) you had a much better chance of getting heard by the users of this forum if you made an effort not to shove that chip on your shoulder up their nose, so to speak!
    If you disagree, then feel free to make a thread describing in great detail how wonderful everyone on Boards is and what a pleasure it's been for you to work with them, and how they're always down to earth, modest, humble and reserved when stating their achievements :D
    Now, why tf would I do that, when it's no more true or accurate than *your* extreme viewpoint?!

People around here aren't all wonderful or perfect or modest or what have you ... they're a pretty human, normal bunch of (mostly) 16-18 year olds, tbh, with all the flaws and failings intrinsic to the human condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The big LC is probably the most over-rated thing an Irish person will ever do. My teacher said to me on the first day of the 5th "do your best, if you come out with 600 or 220 you can still be proud". Well I ignored that and I did just enough (or a little under just enough in some subjects). I averaged probably 3 days a week of first study (4-6). I comfortably got my level 8 so all I am to say is I wouldn't worry too much. So my advice is don't get caught up in the hype. You are not going to be defined by your LC no matter what your parents or your teachers say. It is not the rest of your life. I have absolutely no clue why I'm posting but it's 5 o'clock on a Friday morning and I'm waiting for a movie to download. But I just came to back up OP, even though I think he went about his post in an unfortunate manner. There was plenty of times that I felt "small" and sort of under prepared and scared by the fact that I wasn't taking it as seriously as some people. But now that I'm done all I can say that it was a majorly under-whelming experience. So unless you are trying to get 550+ to do medicine or whatever YOU want to do (not daddy), go for it give it your all, but just do what's needed and ignore other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EDude

OP, you just made my day!

I first visited boards a little while before my mocks in Feb of 2010, looking for other people's opinions/views/advice. I have to admit i was intimidated by all the students on boards telling the world about how great they are.

It seemed everyone was doing medicine and that I was the only one who didnt get hpat results in the 100th percentile or 600 points!

But boards also taught me there are other ways of getting to where you want to be.I'm not a 600-pointer, a millionaire, a celebrity nor have I any special talents but at least I'm happy :) I'm delighted with my CAO offer and I plan to stay well away from anything I wouldnt love to do :) ...or in many peoples cases, whats hyped up to be the best thing you can do!

As I said above, the OP made my day with that post! Made me realise that you cant dwell on all that you see or read, and I'd say there are more people like me in the world than the typical boards LC student :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OP, thank you for your post - it certainly made me laugh!

But in all seriousness, sometimes people are not boasting about their results, it's just that it's taken up that way by people who got less points, perhaps a bit out of jealously.

I remember when I was doing my LC (this year) and I would log onto boards.ie after each exam to see what the general concensus was about the exam. It wasn't a good feeling for me to think an exam was tricky to have other people posting saying 'Very easy exam, I expect an A1' - it makes me wonder if everybody found the exam easy and it will be marked harder. What's worse is when people's answers are posted up, and you didn't get it.
    However, these people weren't boasting, it's just that I was feel slightly jealous of them. It may be viewed as arrogance to speculate out loud that you think you got an A1 in a subject, but in reality is it much different than saying I think I got a B3 - however the former would annoy more people than the latter would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seany2k10

Don't ban me or do whatever you mods do but can I just say the mods here are idiots. Why are you arguing with the posters? The minute that happens you close the thread :rolleyes: And you also ban people for expressing their own opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

seany2k10 wrote: »
    Don't ban me or do whatever but can I just say the mods here are idiots. .

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

The truth is that every Leaving Cert subject is different and that every Leaving Cert student is different. It is certainly possible to score a high mark in certain subjects without pushing yourself to the limit, due to the nature of the subject (take for example Business Studies - it's relatively short and involves a lot of common sense/ everyday knowledge which can be picked up from newspapers etc.). Similarly, some students have a marked aptitude for certain subjects, making it easier for them to assimilate formulae and knowledge more quickly than the average student.

In the end, if it is acceptable for people to post results on the internet (it's seemingly implied by the OP that this is true, so long as the person achieved less than 600 points), there is no reason why somebody who has obtained 600 points should not do so. Getting a result like that is nothing to be ashamed of (it really isn't), and there is no reason to hide it on a public forum which exists to allow you to voice your hopes/ fears etc. about the Leaving Cert.

If you feel discouraged or disheartened by seeing somebody else score 600 points, that is, to be perfectly honest, your problem. Rather than criticising high achievers, you should learn to take a bit of pride in your own achievements. Reaching your potential in a set of exams is no mean feat, even if it is to "only" get, say, 300 points. Everybody has different capabilities, that's just a fact of life. Perform to the best of your own and try to be pleased with yourself, and don't try to ruin others' pleasure in their achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

seany2k10 wrote: »
    Don't ban me or do whatever you mods do but can I just say the mods here are idiots.
    Sure, you can say it. Just expect to be banned for personal abuse, just as you'd be banned for calling any other user on this forum an idiot.
    Why are you arguing with the posters?
    Because in the big scary real world not everyone agrees on every single point.
    The minute that happens you close the thread :rolleyes: And you also ban people for expressing their own opinions

That's funny, I don't recall seeing a line in the charter that says "EVERYONE MUST AGREE WITH TEH MODZ OR WE BANZ YOU LOLOLOL!!!1!!!"

In future, if you have an issue with the moderation of this forum sort it out via PM. In the meantime, have a weeks holiday (not for expressing your opinions, but for the abusive, trollish way in which you did it); hopefully you'll have learned a bit of cop on by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hmmmm, interesting thread. I contribute to this forum regularly as a teacher... my biggest bugbear.... STUDENTS ASSUMING i'M MALE!!!!! :pac:

Seriously OP, if you're going to complain about the demographic that uses the LC forum, maybe you should think about that demographic first. I'm now picturing the LC class I'll be teaching on Monday. Some of them work their arses off all year, they go online at night to check answers on LC marking schemes for questions they have been assigned for homework. On the other end of the scale, I have students in my class who spend their nights drinking Dutch Gold in the local park. I think I'm pretty sure they are not spending their evening doing their homework let alone asking questions about the LC on any internet forum. So the demographic you will see on the forum will be skewed. It's the same on any internet forum. You won't find me on a forum about the merits of knitting - because I have no interest in it. I have yet to see a thread on here saying 'I'm a total waster in school and spend my days pissing off my teachers and getting drunk at night' People who are serious about the LC will use every resource available to them including forums such as this one. As for the mods, they do a great job in this forum, it's probably one of the busier ones on boards.

And as for the points thing, a lot of the students here mention where they attend school. I correct exams, assess practicals and used to correct mocks and the results generally correlated with the posts I see here. I don't see anything wrong with it. Ya, some posters do like to post their results but in my experience it tends not to be the long term posters who are posting regularly. Also it's anonymous, so it's not like anyone knows who they are.

... my biggest bugbear.... STUDENTS ASSUMING i'M MALE!!!!! :pac:
    :confused:

You're not?! :eek:

/runs

:confused:

You're not?! :eek:

/runs

Take thee to the ag science thread......................:D

• Advertisement

Take thee to the ag science thread......................:D
    I was running *away*, not *towards*!

I'm not THAT stoopid!! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Boards should really display the gender of a poster - it can get confusing at times! I knew rainbowtrout was female, although I'm not sure how - it must be the 'rainbow' in the name. There are a few posters that I assumed were male, only to find out after ages of assuming so, were actually female!

Boards should really display the gender of a poster - it can get confusing at times!!
    Tar.Aldarion would break the db if they did that, tbh! >_>

Tar.Aldarion would break the db if they did that, tbh! >_>

I actually thought about that when I posted it - well I guess an optional gender display would make more sense - there are those that probably don't want to reveal which gender they are, and of course those, like the above mentioned, that reveal that they are either gender depending on mood, etc. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I agree 100% with the original post, reading through the Results Thread would make the person who got *only* 350 points to look like a minority. :eek:

I never chipped in with my results because I didn't see the need to share my results with people I don't even vaguely know (This is only my 15th post..). Reading through the thread could make almost anyone feel inadequate, I found myself only noticing the people who did better or around the same as I did.

The thread also gave the high achievers a way to express themselves; I found it awkward asking someone how they did when I knew their result would be 200points lower than mine, but there one could exclaim their achievements without looking like a cocky attention seeker :pac:.

I agree 100% with the original post, reading through the Results Thread would make the person who got *only* 350 points to look like a minority. :eek:

I never chipped in with my results because I didn't see the need to share my results with people I don't even vaguely know (This is only my 15th post..). Reading through the thread could make almost anyone feel inadequate, I found myself only noticing the people who did better or around the same as I did.

The thread also gave the high achievers a way to express themselves; I found it awkward asking someone how they did when I knew their result would be 200points lower than mine, but there one could exclaim their achievements without looking like a cocky attention seeker :pac:.

good post. I'd also suggest that in school these days, it's uncool to be the one that studies. Not in all schools, if you go to a grind school for LC for example, that's what you're there for so no one will pass any heed. But in a regular school it can be hard to study without being bullied for being a nerd, so maybe people like to come on this forum and be able to say ' I got an A in Economics/French/Woodwork etc without feeling that they are going to be ostracised for it. I can remember quite clearly a girl getting 10 or 11 As in her JC in the school I work in a few years ago, she was a well rounded girl, had plenty of friends and lots of interests outside school, highly intelligent, but also worked hard. Most things came to her with ease. When her JC results came out, her friends shunned her in 5th year and she had a tough year through no fault of her own, mainly because her friends were jealous. It can be tough in school to be able to achieve those results without having to kill yourself and have people alienate you for being 'weird' when you just happen to have a talent for Maths/Irish/French etc.

Boards should really display the gender of a poster - it can get confusing at times! I knew rainbowtrout was female, although I'm not sure how - it must be the 'rainbow' in the name. There are a few posters that I assumed were male, only to find out after ages of assuming so, were actually female!

due to a very strange discussion in the ag science thread one night..... can't imagine many male posters putting rainbow in their username though...

due to a very strange discussion in the ag science thread one night.....
    I'm sure I had nothing whatsoever to do with that.
    ... can't imagine many male posters putting rainbow in their username though...
    Depends on the forum tbh ... >_>

I'm sure I had nothing whatsoever to do with that.
    Depends on the forum tbh ... >_>

:pac: touché!

rt goes to search out contributers to education forum. has a feeling most do not have rainbow usernames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I never went through any thread in this forum in great detail, but I can't say I remember anybody boasting about high results, and I certainly don't remember anyone saying they did no work....I guess I must be missing something :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement