Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just catching up on your log RandyMann. Savage set of achievements over the last year. Really impressive. Have you lined-up any goals for next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Just catching up on your log RandyMann. Savage set of achievements over the last year. Really impressive. Have you lined-up any goals for next season?

Thanks Krusty. As regards next seasons goals, the immediate one is to get ready for in the indoor season starting in January with a focus on the 60m. I am not too interested in running the 200m indoor. My pb last January for the 60 is7.84 so I would be aiming to go under 7.4 sec. I guess I am in sub 7.5 shape now, judging by my last 100m pb. It will mean a lot of lifting between now and xmas as the 60, just like the 100 is a pure power event.
    As regards outdoor, I would be looking to try and knock 0.4 secs off my 100m time by end of next season to go under 11.5sec If I can do that time in the 100, it would mean a low 23sec 200 for me as what I have noticed is that my 200 is normally twice my 100 time and then add 0.2-0.3secs with enough speed endurance work done.
    Those times/goals may be far reaching and may not be achievable but if I dont aim high, I won't put in the work, thats a given :)

Did a speed session with a 400m clubmate of mine. He was doing 3 X split 200s
    My plan was to do 3 X 150s but just managed two as I emptied the tank on the 2 that I did.
    Times were 17.5secs for the two of them and was really pleased with that as I dont want to lose touch with my speed over the winter. I could have gone low 17 for the first one but I slowed up in the last 20 to let my mate catch up with me as I thought I was going too fast for my first one (which I was)
    The second 150 was me pushing all the way cause I was fatigued. He beat me by about a meter to the line. I didnt bother with a 3rd one as I want to leave something there for tomorrow for another session.
    It was great to do a session and feel refreshed with no injuries after the break I had.
    Below is a graph from the first 150 and shows a slight drop off in speed in the last 20m. I reckon I could do a 17.3 150 flat out which should translate to a 23.7 200

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220105520

With a lot of indecision I opted to do 2 X 250s at 100% effort with 8 mins recovery, could only manage 2 as I went completely lactic and was in a lot of discomfort. My original plan was to do a 6 X 200 aerobic session but one of the sprinters turned up who is quite fast and he wanted to do the 250s and I didnt want to waste a training partner.

Times were 32.8 and 35.1 and the 35 sec one showed I was completely spent. I was alot of pain after this and I won't be too eager to do this again soon. I am going to concentrate of getting my aerobic base up like I said before and then maybe later on, do the above.

Gym planned for tomorrow morning if I am able.

The usual hurdle mobility drills followed by an hour of plyometrics and bounding. Did some work with a weighted sled after that and finished with a 100m sprint to stretch out the legs.
    Was feeling this cause I did a big dead lift session in the gym this morning before work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Lorgach

I've been reading through your log RandyMann very impressive... keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Hi, I'm new to posting around here, but hopefully should be posting regularly from now on.

Anyway, very good thread. Your improvements in the past few months are very impressive. I'd love to have a comparable 100/200 time this year. Don't know yet what my speed is like though.

Are you finished racing for the year now? Straight back into training??

Best of luck with everything anyway!

Hi, I'm new to posting around here, but hopefully should be posting regularly from now on.

Anyway, very good thread. Your improvements in the past few months are very impressive. I'd love to have a comparable 100/200 time this year. Don't know yet what my speed is like though.

Are you finished racing for the year now? Straight back into training??

Best of luck with everything anyway!

Thanks Oregano, yes track race season is over for me now until the indoors next Jan. It will be all training with a bigger focus on gym/lifting. I dont really post much on my gym work as I am a bit lazy with posting :)
    Essentially I am trying to lift heavier over the next few months to build up my strength.
    Just saw your log there, good to see someone else interested in the track. Your 1:57 800 is impressive indeed. I will follow your progress with interest and best of luck yourself !

Gym this morning before work wasn't really much of a success with regard to completing the session I had planned. I had only 5 hours sleep last night and it really effects my energy levels. Drinking over the weekend didnt help either. While my strength was there, there was not enough in the tank to finish the session.
    I had planned to do deadlifts, split legged weighted squats and back extensions. I cut it short at the dead lifts(which I didnt do the full rep range either). I did manage to lift 160kg twice at the end which is the heaviest I have lifted to date. My weight this morning was 67kg.
    I will repeat this session later on in the week hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

RandyMann wrote: »
    Gym this moring before work wasnt really much of a success with regard to completing the session I had planned. I had only 5 hours sleep last night and it really effects my energy levels. Drinking over the weekend didnt help either. While my strength was there, there was not enough in the tank to finish the session.

Ya'd be nowhere over a beer mile I tell ya! ;)

• Advertisement

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Ya'd be nowhere over a beer mile I tell ya! ;)

Lol, you know, I would give you a race but yes you could take it for granted that you would whip me in that event :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Lol, you know, I would give you a race but yes you could take it for granted that you would whip me in that event :)

You know what they say, we all have our talents in life :p

Thanks Oregano, yes track race season is over for me now until the indoors next Jan. It will be all training with a bigger focus on gym/lifting. I dont really post much on my gym work as I am a bit lazy with posting :)
    Essentially I am trying to lift heavier over the next few months to build up my strength.
    Just saw your log there, good to see someone else interested in the track. Your 1:57 800 is impressive indeed. I will follow your progress with interest and best of luck yourself !

Thanks Randymann,

I actually haven't broken 2 mins for the 800m as of yet, 1.57 is my target for this year and I reckon it's realistic enough if I put the work in. :D

I'd like to run a few 400s as well to keep the speed up, maybe even a 200. We'll see.

What club do you run with?

Thanks Randymann,

I actually haven't broken 2 mins for the 800m as of yet, 1.57 is my target for this year and I reckon it's realistic enough if I put the work in. :D

I'd like to run a few 400s as well to keep the speed up, maybe even a 200. We'll see.

What club do you run with?

I run with Crusaders in Irishtown. http://www.crusadersac.org/ They have a couple of 800 guys there. One is in 2:03 shape presently and the other guy is in 1:55 shape, I think. They are a good club and won't charge you if you want to try them out for a few weeks.
    Did you ever run 100/200? The outdoor track season starts back next April but you could always have a go at the indoors next Jan, like a 200/400...

Jumped into the middle distance group tonight and did part of their session.
    600m, 300m, 300m with 60 seconds recovery. Times were 2:07, 54, 54 I did this to get some aerobic fitness back. A total of 1200m is plenty for me.

My back went into spasm in the last interval so I couldnt do another 300. This is a problem from doing deadlifts and I think I will move my legs weight session to Sunday instead to give me some time to recover for the track.

Gym planned for the morning, upper body.

My back went into spasm in the last interval so I couldnt do another 300. This is a problem from doing deadlifts and I think I will move my legs weight session to Sunday instead to give me some time to recover for the track.

I have found this too.

I have found this too.

Yeah its a nuisance, very uncomfortable :) To get the most out of my week, only one heavy leg session like deads, splits squats, back extensions is possible.

Usual hurdle drills then plyometrics. Plyometrics involved doing bunny hops over hurdles then one legged hops over smaller hurdles, ending with a sprint out for about 40m.

To end the session, I did 3 X 150s with about 4 minute recovery. These were done at about 80%-90% effort but no times for these.

Gym tomorrow.

Had a rest last week with getting over a cold and just was too tired. It served well as my rest/easy week anyway.

Tonight I did some 30s while alternating pulling a sled on the grass and then a 30 on the track straight after. 6 in total and not too taxing.
    Felt good and fresh as I did a heavy lifting session on Sunday followed by a recovery yesterday. Tomorrow is a gym session, upper body.
    Plan is to train 5 days a week from now onwards.

I run with Crusaders in Irishtown. http://www.crusadersac.org/ They have a couple of 800 guys there. One is in 2:03 shape presently and the other guy is in 1:55 shape, I think. They are a good club and won't charge you if you want to try them out for a few weeks.
    Did you ever run 100/200? The outdoor track season starts back next April but you could always have a go at the indoors next Jan, like a 200/400...

Hi, yeah I'd definitely consider doing a training session or two with those guys to see where I'm at. I'll start track training in about 2 weeks, I'm building base fitness at the moment. Well I'm actually suffering from a cold, so technically I'm not doing anything for a few days...:pac:

I'd consider doing a 400 in the indoors if my speed in training points towards a decent showing. I'll be concentrating on the 400 I think this season, but I also want to break 2mins for the 800 so I''ll have to do a few of those at some stage.

Might do a 200 in the graded meets when the time comes. Depends on whether I'm still chasing times in the 800 and 400 when they come around!

I notice you have a Garmin forerunner 305, would you reccommend it? I've been toying with the idea of a GPS watch for a while, but I didn't know if I'd be doing the mileage to justify it. Those speed graphs are fascinating though, I'm a real sucker for figures and statistics!!!

• Advertisement

Hi, yeah I'd definitely consider doing a training session or two with those guys to see where I'm at. I'll start track training in about 2 weeks, I'm building base fitness at the moment. Well I'm actually suffering from a cold, so technically I'm not doing anything for a few days...:pac:

I'd consider doing a 400 in the indoors if my speed in training points towards a decent showing. I'll be concentrating on the 400 I think this season, but I also want to break 2mins for the 800 so I''ll have to do a few of those at some stage.

Might do a 200 in the graded meets when the time comes. Depends on whether I'm still chasing times in the 800 and 400 when they come around!

I notice you have a Garmin forerunner 305, would you reccommend it? I've been toying with the idea of a GPS watch for a while, but I didn't know if I'd be doing the mileage to justify it. Those speed graphs are fascinating though, I'm a real sucker for figures and statistics!!!

Yes I found the the 305 to be fairly reliable. A mate of mine has a 305 too but he upgraded to the 405 and found the 405 to be unreliable. He has now reverted back to the 305. My guess is that it has a bigger receiver than the smaller 405.
    Its really good if you are doing the mileage but I use it sometimes as my stopwatch for intervals and it gives some interesting stats when I upload to garmin connect. It kinda adds something interesting to my workouts as like you, I like figures :)

Did an upper body session, my first one in a while.
    It included upright DB(20kg) shoulder press, 6 sets, 6 reps semi supinated grip

Chinups 6 sets 6 reps with a 10kg DB between my ankles, really struggled with this.

Bench press 22.5kg dumbells 6 sets, 6 reps on a flat bench. Semi supinated again as it works the shoulders more.

Upright row, 6 and 6 with a 15kg DB

Track tomorrow night...

First session with a new coach tonight. I'm very happy to be coached again and training in a group which provides the structure and discipline that I need.

He focussed a lot on the technical aspect which is very necessary for me and we did a lot of work on drills for about an hour before the interval session.

Session was 6 X 150s with a walk back recovery. Each 150 was split with cones where you alternate between effort of about 90% for 30m and decelerate to 60% effort for 20m until the finish line. The idea was to concentrate on form and to run relaxed while switching speeds. It also served as a good speed endurance work out.
    So of course I ran the first one too hard and it turned into a race. By the 3rd interval I was getting lactic and by the 6th interval I was in bits. On my cool down my calf went into spasm but thankfully relaxed again.

Rest day tomorrow.

Trained on my own today and the plan was to do 6 X 200 with 40 second recovery as it was going to be an aerobic workout.
    I changed it to jog back recovery as the track was crowded on the near side.
    I only managed 4 200s as my asthma kicked in with the cold air.
    Times were 31, 33, 32, 31

Gym in the morning

Just did a deadlift session this morning as I really had nothing else in me to do other exercises after that.
    Total of 36 lifts which was 8 + 8 reps of 110kg, 6 + 6 reps of 130kg and 4 + 4 reps of 150kg. 2 minute recovery between sets.

Drills plus 3 laps of track, jogging bends and running the straights. Meant to be 6 laps but I was too fatigued and left it a 3. Was even tired in the warmup and drills, think I over did it on Sunday..

Just wondering if you use spikes for your track sessions at this time of year?

I'd tend to use them if I was doing anything under 200m for grip purposes...

Just wondering if you use spikes for your track sessions at this time of year?

I'd tend to use them if I was doing anything under 200m for grip purposes...

Yes I use middle distance spikes over the winter for intervals and coming into race season, I will switch to my sprint spikes. Essential as the track is very slippy in the wet and I would surely hit the deck, also you need the grip to deliver the power. The only time I use runners is during warmup and drills.

I was ready for this as I missed last Thursdays session and I had only done a upper body weights session last Saturday.

Interval session was 6 X 180m, in and out again which meant 90%effort for 30m and 60%-70% efffort for 20m switching up and down. Didnt make the mistake of racing it this time and finished the 6 tired but not on my knees which was nice for a change.
    Gym planned for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Couldnt make to the track last night due to work.
    Anyway gym session this morning and did a deadlift session.

8 X 100kg warmup
    5 X 140kg
    2 X 150kg
    2 X 160kg
    1 X 170kg
    1 X 180kg

The aim was to test out my 1RM so I lifted 20kg more than I ever did which is now 2.7 times my current bodyweight. I really put everything into that lift so I am happy with that result.

Advertisement