Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Got a short gym session in while my daughter was on the track this morning.

6 sets/6 reps on each leg of single split leg squats,front foot elevated with weighted barbell.

Weight was 40kg, 45kg, 45kg, 50kg, 45kg, 40kg.
    I have to say that this exercise, I find is the most brutal of them all for sheer exhaustion. Legs were jelly after this :)

Going back later if I have time to do some back extensions.

6 reps/ 6 sets of hip extensions/back extensions on a roman chair.
    Added weight to this exercise and it went 10kg, 15kg, 20kg, 20kg, 15kg, 10kg

Finished off with a core workout, something I have not done in quite a while.
    My glutes are really hurting after yesterday as it was a glute/hamstring dominant exercise. My hamstrings will be fairly whacked tomorrow I guess after what I did today.
    Rest tomorrow.

Wasnt looking forward to this as I came down with a sore throat/head cold last night.
    Same again with an hour of drills etc.
    Session was 2 X 300s with 4 min recovery and 4 X 100s with walk back recovery. 100s were rolling starts and building up acceleration gradually until max speed reached with about 20m to go. (marked with cones)

Times for 300s were 49 secs for the first one :) and 42 secs for the second.
    I kinda jogged the first one as I didnt know how to run these for pace but I ran the 2nd one well and finished strong. Felt I had more in me.

Only did 2 of the 100s as my groin was feeling tight and didnt want to risk it.

Havent trained since Tuesday due to head cold and now its gone to my chest, frustrating to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

RandyMann wrote: »
    Havent trained since Tuesday due to head cold and now its gone to my chest, frustrating to say the least.

Just have to wait it out, no point rushing back until you're healthy! It does suck though, when you're going through it.

• Advertisement

Ran 2.6 km on a treadmill yesterday to get me back moving. Sweated buckets but felt it did me some good and drank loads of water afterwards.

Tonight I went down to the track but didnt do what the main group were doing. Instead I did 20m with a weighted sled on the grass and then 20m on the track straight after, 6 in total. Did the track 20s with 3 other lads so there was a bit of competition there.
    Finished with a 150m but no time for this. Felt shaky at the end but that was to be expected. Should be ok for Thursday now.

Went back to the main group tonight to do their interval session. Session was 6 X 150s, 3 min recovery. 150s were in and out 90% effort for 30m then slow down to 70% aprox for 20m and keep alternating.
    Finished the session, glad I did now but I found it brutal. Still recovering from my illness it seems but nearly back to normal.

Did some upper body this morning.
    Seated DB shoulder press, semi supinated grip, reps 7, 5, 3, 3, 5, 7. Weight 18kg, 20kg, 22.5kg, 22.5kg, 20kg, 18kg

Chinups with a dumbell between my ankles as I have no weighted belt.
    Reps same as above. with 5kg, 6kg and 10kg respectively.

First training session since last Saturday due to work etc.

Session included all the usual drills and also sprinting over the small hurdle/sticks to increase stride length.

Intervals were 2 X 300m with 4 min recovery. Times were 43sec and 45 sec respectivley.
    This was inprovement from last time so happy with that.

Session tonight was in and outs but they were 200m/100m, 200m/100m, 200m/100m with 4 mins recovery between each.
    Tough going but felt strong at the end so was happy with tonight.

Session last Tuesday was 12 X 70m turnarounds (2 sets of 6 with 4 mins recovery between sets. Had to call it a night after 3 as I was not feeling well. Glad I ran well tonight after a poor session two days ago.

• Advertisement

Gym yesterday was deadlifts only. 14 X 120kg, 10 X 140KG and 6 X 160kg
    Very tough session but got through it. Feeling it now today, quite sore.

Session tonight was 60m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 150m, 100m, 60m
    Only got as far as the 150m and called it a night. I was a way off the pace, nothing in my legs and when I finished the 150, I was pure exhausted.
    This was partly due to the fact that I was going over my new lifting programs this morning with the strength coach and mainly to do with what I lifted last Saturday. It takes a least a week for me to recover from that sort of intensity(plus back pain). Tonight was to be expected so hopefully I will recover somewhat to get a full session in on Thursday.

Have not been training much lately as I feel I burnt myself out due to overdoing gym sessions in Oct/Nov. I have taken a step back from intensive gym work as my runnning has gone to crap. Dropping out of sessions and way behind in pace. Had a time trial a couple of weeks ago and my 200 was mid 25 secs
    I was at the track tonight and just did 2 laps of jogging the bends and sprinting the straights. The cold weather has not helped with asthma either and I remember I had the same problem last year. It means I cant really run fast in these cold months so I look forward to some warmer weather coming back so I can get my sessions fast again. All in all not much enthusiasm to train lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Have not been training much lately as I feel I burnt myself out due to overdoing gym sessions in Oct/Nov. I have taken a step back from intensive gym work as my runnning has gone to crap. Dropping out of sessions and way behind in pace. Had a time trial a couple of weeks ago and my 200 was mid 25 secs
    I was at the track tonight and just did 2 laps of jogging the bends and sprinting the straights. The cold weather has not helped with asthma either and I remember I had the same problem last year. It means I cant really run fast in these cold months so I look forward to some warmer weather coming back so I can get my sessions fast again. All in all not much enthusiasm to train lately.

Winter training can be tough mentally, knowing the track season is so far away. Just keep the focus on the indoor season and maybe shake things up a bit to keep yourself interested. Could be a time to experiement with 400m indoor (along with the 60m)? 2 laps of the track would be a novelty, might freshen up the routine, and would be good endurance work for your 200s later in the year.

Do you do any hills during the winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Winter training can be tough mentally, knowing the track season is so far away. Just keep the focus on the indoor season and maybe shake things up a bit to keep yourself interested. Could be a time to experiement with 400m indoor (along with the 60m)? 2 laps of the track would be a novelty, might freshen up the routine, and would be good endurance work for your 200s later in the year.

Do you do any hills during the winter?

A 400m would be nice but the main problem I am having with my training is endurance work in the cold weather. My lungs can't seem to handle it. I will see how it goes over the next few weeks. I never do hills but only once last Summer.
    The good news is that the indoors have been moved to back to Feb (to get Athlone venue ready) so that will give me more time to get in shape. The Munsters are being held in Nenagh on the 6th Jan but I think I will cancel on that one.

Had a reasonable session this morning with a club mate.
    4 X 40m off blocks and felt sharp as I was ahead of him each time. Hes a high 22 second 200m runner when he is fit but he was a bit sluggish today. It did my confidence some good anyways.
    I finished with a 150m flat out (no time for this). What was interesting was that I found my power fading with about 30m to go so it shows that I have lost a lot of my speed endurance.
    I didnt empty the tank this morning with a view to putting in good a session on Tuesday. I should be back on form over the next few weeks if I am careful with my approach....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I didnt empty the tank this morning with a view to putting in good a session on Tuesday. I should be back on form over the next few weeks if I am careful with my approach....
    Steady as she goes.

Couldnt make it down to the track on Tues due to working late.
    I sort of did my own session tonight with a club mate

4 X 40m, back to back, 10 min rest, same again, 10 min rest and then 2 X 40m. 10 40s in total so happy enough.
    Did these flat out but saved something for this Saturday.

Got down to the track this afternoon with my fast training buddy(22 sec 200m when he is fit) who is very beneficial for me to pull me along.

Session was an endurance/aerobic type which was 300, 250, 200, 150, 100
    Jog recoverys.

Times were 47, 35, 31, 19, 14
    This was a total of 146 secs which equates to 58.4sec 400m pace.
    Happy with that and needless to say I was fooked after it

• Advertisement

Just did a 3k run a treadmill. It was a struggle but I sweated a lot of alcohol out of my system which was the main objective.
    Wont be training again till Friday.

Happy Xmas to all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just did a 3k run a treadmill. It was a struggle but I sweated a lot of alcohol out of my system which was the main objective.
    Wont be training again till Friday.

Happy Xmas to all !

Sounds like a gross session. Merry Christmas to yourself too.

Did my new program for lower body today. It consisted of super sets of squats, 3 sets, 4 reps. 1st set front squat, heel raised with 50kg, 2nd set back squats heel fully raised with 50kg and 3rd set heels flat 70kg. All of them with ass to the ground and 10 secs between sets.

Romanian semi stiff deadlifts same as above, all with 100kg and toes in, toes neutral and toes out.

Finished it with torture twists for abdominals.

Upper body workout today was super sets(3) of 4 reps, 10 second recovery. Bench set at 75, 45 and decline. DB's were 20, 22.5 and 25kgs

Moved onto chinups, same sets as above with different hand postions.

Finsished with hanging Gar Hammers, 3 sets of 25 with 60 second recovery.

Felt good after this, I didnt overcook it. I'm looking forward to a busy January of training after the xmas celebrations. Track planned for tomorrow night.

Did my own session with another masters athlete tonight as I didnt want to chance what the main group were doing and I needed to get out early also.

Session was 4 X 40m turnarounds, 3 sets and 5 mins recovery. 12 40s in total which is an improvement from the last time I did them when I only mangaged 10.

Gym planned for tomorrow morning.

Did my lower body workout this morning, same as last time(squats, romanian deadlifts and torture twists) with no weight change. The only difference would be that I kept the recoveries as close to 10 seconds as possible, not like the last time as I was getting used to the new exercises. Tough going with the short recoveries.
    Happy with the way training is going as I feel that I am able to recover from gym sessions now and am ready withenough in me for the track. Plan is to keep consistent for 5 days training per week.
    Track planned for tomorrow morning.

Did this session with one of the masters athletes again which was good to have someone to train with.
    Session was 300, 250, 200, 150, 100 with jog/walk recoveries.
    Times were 44.4, 35.5, 28.6, 20.7 and 12.7

Total of 141.9seconds for 1000m, 56.76 400 pace average.

Happy with the above as times were much improved from what I did a couple of weeks ago and also having done leg weights yesterday I didnt expect much.

Did my upperbody workout this morning, same as last time with the same weight.
    Was training with a mate of mine so finished the session with a bench press routine and maxed out with 75kg. I have lost a lot of my strength with this exercise but I dont think I really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Did my upperbody workout this morning, same as last time with the same weight.
    Was training with a mate of mine so finished the session with a bench press routine and maxed out with 75kg. I have lost a lot of my strength with this exercise but I dont think I really need it.

Yes. I used to bench a lot, just because it was the done thing, gym-wise. Not any more though. I haven't done it at all since I started running properly again; I don't think there's much point in it as it's not a movement that comes into running at all.

• Advertisement

Did a session with the Trinity group tonight. After warmup it was runnning over low hurdles that were gradually spaced out to increase stride length.
    Then it was various drills and plyos with hopping over hurdles that were just below hip height. Finished off with bounding.

Interval session was 18 X 60m which were 3 sets of 6 reps(turnarounds) and 5 min recovery between sets. These were done at 70%-80% effort,
    Finished the session and felt good in the fact that I have not fininshed a session like that in a while plus it was the hardest one I have done so far if my memory serves me right.

Advertisement