Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Tonights session, I found quite tough.
    It started off as a tempo session of 250m, 200m and 150m with 3 min recovery. The coach gave myself and my training partner(22sec 200m guy) target times of 37.5, 30 and 22.5 and he said we were not to run slower than that. He said the main objective was to run relaxed with good form and use it to get the heart rate elevated for the next part which was 60m off blocks at full effort.
    Times were 34, 29 and 20 so that went well. They were off standing starts unlike last Saturday which were rolling starts which I forgot to mention.

The 60m I managed a total of 4 reps with 3 min recovery. These went well and I was up at the front during the first one, nearly shoulder to shoulder with the fast lad but started to fade on the next few as I dont have the recovery of the younger guys.

All in all I am happy with the way things are going. Gym planned for the morning....

Forgot to mention, how I manage the cold weather with my asthma now is I wear one of those neck gator things which I pull up over my mouth. It keeps the air warm when I breath it in. Its a life saver, no more wheezing and I can finish the sessions. Wish I had thought of this before!

Lower body /legs program this morning. Same session again but went up the weight with 60kg on front squat(heels elevated), 70kg on back squat(heels fully elevated) and 80kg on back squat(heels flat). Sets were super sets of 4 reps with 10sec recovery. Dont really like this front squat as I'm nearly choking myself with the bar bell.
    Romanian semi stiff deadlifts, same as before but went up the weight with 110kg, 120kg, 120kg. Supersets as above.
    Finished with core workout.
    Legs feel shot now but should be ok for track in the morning.

Plan was to do 2 X300 but after warming up, stretching and multiple strides, I couldnt really get my legs moving.
    No real pain but I just couldnt get my knees up. I did about 8 60m strides to try and get something going but it was like one of those dreams where you are being chased but your legs wont move. It is obviously from my weights session yesterday and the fact that I lifted heavier. The squats are something that I am not used to.
    Plan is to have another go tomorrow as there was no point in running slow intervals today for no training benefit.

First training session since my failed one last Saturday

Session was 2 sets of 3 reps of 120m. 2 mins between each rep and 6 mins between sets.
    Struggled with this and only managed a total of 4 reps until I called it a night. I was up near the front in the first couple of reps but even at that I could not generate the power I know I have. Legs were still heavy. At the end of the 4th rep, I was really suffering, lactic and feeling unwell with headache/nausea etc.
    I put this down to not recovering from last Fri plus I had a lot of alcohol on Saturday night. Plan is not to do any more intensive leg/lower body sessions in the gym(plus no more alcohol) until after the indoor season.
    My first race for the indoors is the AAI Open Games on the 27th January. I will give the 60m and the 200m a go. It will give me a good indication of where I stand for the All Ireland Masters which is coming up on the 9th February.

Session tonight was 2 X 300m, tempo about 70% effort. Rest in between was 3:45 Completed the 2 reps in 45 seconds

Speed session was a set of 70m, 50m and 30m reps with 2 min recovery between each rep. Rest 4 mins and repeat set. Effort to be near 100%

Only did one set as despite feeling ok for energy, my left hip is giving me problems since last week and I just could not generate the power needed.
    I am not going to run anymore until next Tuesday to give it a chance...frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

RandyMann wrote: »
    My first race for the indoors is the AAI Open Games on the 27th January. I will give the 60m and the 200m a go. It will give me a good indication of where I stand for the All Ireland Masters which is coming up on the 9th February.

Have you run 200m indoors before, what's your feelings on it? The lane draw can be very important.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Have you run 200m indoors before, what's your feelings on it? The lane draw can be very important.

No, never 200m indoors. I am apprehensive about it because of the tight bends. I will try it for the reason that I have not done it before and to get some race sharpness back. It will be a tester and if it goes well, I will race it at the All Ireland Masters on the 9th. If not I will just concentrate on the 60m
    To be honest, even though I would like to do well, it will be all about the outdoor season starting in April...

Upper body, same as before with a slight increase on the decline bench to 26kg DBs. Increased the reps on the chinups to 5, 5 and 5. Gar Hammers remained the same.
    Finished with a bench press on the flat and maxed out with 35kg DBs

It was time trials tonight for the Trinity group and I jumped into the 60m and 200m to get a run out and to test my hip. I have also had a break for the last 6 days from track and gym.
    I got down late to the track, arrived at 7 and had to try and get warmed up for the first 60 at 7:15
    I got drawn in lane 8 (8 competitors) and it was won in 7.18sec hand timed. I was told I was 4th, about 3m behind the winner. Felt good doing this, I was relaxed but felt I didnt put down all the power I have due to warmup etc. Main thing was that my hip didnt give me problems.
    The 200m kicked off at 7:30 and I got a place in the 2nd race but there was only 4 in this race including 2 girls. I took lane 3. Won this comfortably with a hand timed 24.3sec Happy with that and felt strong for most of it bar the last 50m as I felt my form going due to tiredness and a strong headwind.
    Happy overall and I am looking forward to Sunday to get some decent official times. Light gym session planned for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

That's very very good going, considering the stage of the season and your recent training. Well done!

• Advertisement

Heres a couple of videos of my 2 races that I got emailed tonight. Video quality quite poor, especially bad in the 200m!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3uKal57ZhJ-V1Z0VFNINW42bGs/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3uKal57ZhJ-c2ctTkt2bjRwYUE/edit

No gym this mornning as didnt feel right this morning so sure enough coming to the end of the day, a sore throat developes and now feeling feverish.
    Fecking typical and pissed off now, meds taken and early night now praying for recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

No gym this mornning as didnt feel right this morning so sure enough coming to the end of the day, a sore throat developes and now feeling feverish.
    Fecking typical and pissed off now, meds taken and early night now praying for recovery.

Get that Molkason into ya!

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Get that Molkason into ya!

I did and waiting for the magic to happen !

I did and waiting for the magic to happen !

Keep at it 4 times a day. Dont eat or drink for 30 minutes after gargling it. Do it after washing your teeth at night. Not sure the reasoning behind all that but that's what I'm always told. The stuff is magic, but if an infection has got into your chest it wont do much about that.

Keep at it 4 times a day. Dont eat or drink for 30 minutes after gargling it. Do it after washing your teeth at night. Not sure the reasoning behind all that but that's what I'm always told. The stuff is magic, but if an infection has got into your chest it wont do much about that.

Ok sore throat gone this morning! Incredible stuff :) Will still take a fe more doses today.
    Only probelm now is that I have runny nose/cold so I took antihistamine to stop sneezing etc. Also too berroca performance for some extra vitamins.
    Plan to go the the steam room later as I find that it can kill off a virus early....fingers crossed!

60m - 7.75 PB
    200m - 24.49 PB

The 60m is a pb by .09 seconds and the 200m is a pb cause I have never raced 200m indoors before.

With the 60m even though I should be happy with a pb, it is a bit off from where I thought I should be. I just didnt feel right this morning with the cold etc. To add, my hip started troubling me during my warmup. To cut a long story short I ran it and it is a blur to be honest. I just felt flat and I couldn't put the power down. While I wasnt expecting a good time, to see the 7.75 posted on the wall made me disappointed.

I was undecided to run a 200m this morning and I was planning to decide whether to do it after the 60m and see how I felt. The only reason I decided to do it was not because I was feeling good but it was out of frustration/anger over the 60m.
    When I got the time of 24.49, I was happy enough as I said to myself that I better run under 24.5 so I just made it!

To sum it up, the stadium is a fantastic venue and really comfortable for spectators too. For me, competing in indooors is not really my thing but I feel I have to do it to get ready for outdoors in April

I just have to figure out what to do with my hip problem now and whether to race in the Leinsters next weekend...

Sunday's official results are up now.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/detailed-2013-aai-indoor-gamesjan.pdf

My 200 was not too far down the field which is encouraging.

What's it like to run a 200m indoors? I've always thought the event is a bit mental. Whoever would get the outside lane would be a nailed on cert to win a major race. Think that's why the IAAF ditched the event from the World Champs about 10 years back.

The 400 is a bit like that aswell. If you're not in lanes 4-6 you really don't stand much chance in a competitive race. Would love to run a 400 indoors though, for novalty value as much as anything. Sadly there's no indoor track in all of Australia. Seeing that new track in Athlone makes me really want to run on it. Some day hopefully. Though looking at those times I think I would have been close to bringing up the rear!

Good times by the way. You seem to be in good shape at this time of year. Keep it up.

Hip isssue: http://www.runningmanathletics.com/healthandinjuries.htm

Might be a bit of help.

• Advertisement

What's it like to run a 200m indoors? I've always thought the event is a bit mental. Whoever would get the outside lane would be a nailed on cert to win a major race. Think that's why the IAAF ditched the event from the World Champs about 10 years back.

The 400 is a bit like that aswell. If you're not in lanes 4-6 you really don't stand much chance in a competitive race. Would love to run a 400 indoors though, for novalty value as much as anything. Sadly there's no indoor track in all of Australia. Seeing that new track in Athlone makes me really want to run on it. Some day hopefully. Though looking at those times I think I would have been close to bringing up the rear!

Good times by the way. You seem to be in good shape at this time of year. Keep it up.

I got lane 4 so it was a good lane draw. I had a couple of guys to chase. My club mate got lane 6, the best lane imo. He won it in 23.26 and he was saying that the only prob was that he had no one to chase but thats a good complaint.
    The problem with the indoor track is that you have to chop your stride down considerably going around the bends to stay in your lane which is a bit weird. I also found myself slowing down before the 2nd bend. I was looking at the guy in lane 5 who was very close and I thought he was going to come in on top of me which kinda made me check my stride coming out of the final bend which was a mistake in hindsight. I think I lost a bit of time as a result.
    It was a good first experience though, so I know what to expect next Saturday if I can race. Give me an outdoor track any day of the week :)

Thanks for that.
    Just back from my physio/dry needling session. This was my first time getting this done. Not very pleasant when he finds the trigger point with the needle! Leg jumps like an electric shock.
    He did a lot of manipulation of my hips and massage also, he was quite thorough. Hip flexors were very tight etc.
    Hip feels battered/bruised now from the needles and was told not to run for a couple of days. Only upper body weights if I am to do anything. Fingers crossed for the weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks for that.
    Just back from my physio/dry needling session. This was my first time getting this done. Not very pleasant when he finds the trigger point with the needle! Leg jumps like an electric shock.
    He did a lot of manipulation of my hips and massage also, he was quite thorough. Hip flexors were very tight etc.
    Hip feels battered/bruised now from the needles and was told not to run for a couple of days. Only upper body weights if I am to do anything. Fingers crossed for the weekend...

Make sure to drink a good bit of water after dry needling, the needles will flush out the toxins so you need water to help transport new cells into the area and heal quicker

60m - 7.66 PB
    200m - 24.52

Got two golds for the above in the M40 category. Happy with the improvement in the 60m. Felt I ran faster in the 200m as I really gave it all I had but it was 3 100s slower than my PB from last Sunday.
    Happy overall with my performance today as I am still feeling rough with a sinus infection. It drains the energy from me and I didnt really enjoy the day because of it. There was a lot of waiting around also and I didnt get out of there until 7:45pm after being there from 12:30pm
    Its a pity they dont have the juniors on a different day as it was really packed out.

60m - 7.66 PB
    200m - 24.52

Got two golds for the above in the M40 category. Happy with the improvement in the 60m. Felt I ran faster in the 200m as I really gave it all I had but it was 3 100s slower than my PB from last Sunday.
    Happy overall with my performance today as I am still feeling rough with a sinus infection. It drains the energy from me and I didnt really enjoy the day because of it. There was a lot of waiting around also and I didnt get out of there until 7:45pm after being there from 12:30pm
    Its a pity they dont have the juniors on a different day as it was really packed out.

Good running.

Wondering where do athletes do their warm up in Athlone? The track is obviously small at just 200m so i cant imagine you can do your drills/ strides etc there or otherwise it would be pure carnage?

From doing a bit of googling, they have an 80m long warm-up area on the first floor. They're pretty much essential, even Nenagh had one!

Good running.

Wondering where do athletes do their warm up in Athlone? The track is obviously small at just 200m so i cant imagine you can do your drills/ strides etc there or otherwise it would be pure carnage?

There is also a 400m outdoor track next to it so most of the athletes go out there. I just used the indoor warmup track cause I like the warmth ;)

First session of the week since I raced last Saturday and didnt do much.
    Did some warmup drills and then jumped into a 400m group who were doing 150s of 3 min recovery. Just did 2, both were 18.5secs from standing starts.
    I did these to stretch my legs and test how I felt after being under the weather. Hip felt ok too so I should have no excuses for Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good luck tomorrow.

At least you are in a different category from Paul McKee.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=30030

Advertisement