Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow.

At least you are in a different category from Paul McKee.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=30030

Yeah, hes kinda good isnt he :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

McKee lies fifth on the Irish all time list for the 200m with a 200m personal best of 20.81 while also being ranked second on the 400m Irish all time list with an impressive best of 45.58 - just behind David Gillick

Since when is 0.85 seconds over 400m count as "just behind". :eek:

Best of luck at the weekend. Have a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Pisco Sour wrote: »

Usually 2nd is just behind first thats how positions work ;)

Best of luck RM training been going well as of late definitely will do yourself justice at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Yeah that's a bit of a stretch! I'd say Gregan will be taking that 2nd place spot this year anyway. He could go under 45 this season IMO.

And good luck Mr. Randy!

...is it ok if I call you that? :pac:

...is it ok if I call you that? :pac:

I've been called a lot worse :)

• Advertisement

60m - 7.61 PB Silver
    200m - 24.89 Silver

Happy with the way I ran the 60m, got a great start and the guy, John Corr who has the better of me, just got ahead at about 30m-40m mark and held that to the line. I am happy with the PB as that is my 3rd PB in a row over the 60m in the past 3 weeks. At least I know I am improving.

The 200m was a different story altogether. I felt good after the 60m and when I started to warmup again, I felt strong and sharp doing my strides. Then I was waiting around again for a while as there were delays. About 30 minutes before the 200m was due to start, I did a few strides again and for some reason, my legs felt really heavy and it was a struggle to lift my knees. I kinda knew I was in trouble. It got underway and from the start I was struggling and felt really flat. John Corr who won it, passed me on the inside coming into the 2nd bend and I just didnt have anything in me to keep with him. I just hung on for 2nd place. I think it was a combination of a mental tiredness along with the physical and I just didnt have any fight in me to run a good race. It was 0.4seconds slower than what I did 2 weeks ago.
    In retrospect, I am just tired from racing 3 weeks in a row so I am not going to dwell on it. I am happy with 4 PBs in 3 weeks so its back to work next week for 8 weeks to get ready for the outdoors which is what I am all about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

You did well yesterday in a tough category - you had the beating of Corr for the first 50m of the 60. Onwards and upwards.

Photos of each of us on Finn Valley FB page

Congrats. Onwards and upwards to the outdoor season now. Get them hills into ya! :)

Back to the grind this morning with a lower body workout that I have not done in a month.

Super sets of 4 reps as before with front squat heels elevated, back squat heels fully elevated and back squat heels flat. All reps were right to the ground.
    Weight was 60kg, 70kg and 80kg

Romanian semi stiff deadlifts, super sets as above with toes in, neutral and out.
    Weight was 110kg, 120kg and 130kg

Finished with torture twists for abdominals

Did a shortish session tonight starting with stride lengthening drills over small hurdles then some standing long jumps into sand pit. After that some plyos off boxes into sand pit again.
    Intervals were 150s at 80%/tempo with walk around the 250m for recovery. Did 3 of these and called it a night as it was getting late and had to get my daughters home.
    The rest of the session was running 50s but I think I would have been too tired for that anyways.
    Gym planned for the morning.

• Advertisement

Hurdle drills, medicine ball work followed by harness work. The harness stuff took a lot out of me.
    Intervals were, 100, 80, 60, 40 with walk back recovery.
    6 minutes rest then 40, 60, 80, 100.
    Gym planned for tomorrow as I didnt go yesterday.

Upper Body workout,
    Shoulder press, semi supinated grip, 3 super sets of 4 reps, bench at 75, 45 and decline. DBs were 22.5kg, 26kg and 28kgs

Chinups, pronated wide grip, semi supinated shoulder width and close grip semi supinated. Super sets of 6 reps each.

Finished with 4 sets of 25 reps of hanging gar hammers.

Hills planned for tomorrow morning...

Did hills this morning in the park with the sprint group.
    Session was 6 X 30 second hill runs at about 80% effort with 5 minute recovery between each.
    I enjoyed this, was expecting worse and I got through it ok. It was very mucky in parts and I went ankle deep into mud on the first rep but avoided that stretch on the other ones.
    Will decide in the morning if I can do a gym session or take the day off and leave it till Monday..

Did a lower body workout yesterday. Same routine as before but squats were 60kg, 80kg and 100kg.Reps 4, 3, 2. Switched from romanian deadlifts to normal ones as my back cant take it. Weight was 120kg, 140kg, 160kg. Reps were 4, 4, 2. Torture twists to finish.

Track session tonight was a lot of work on drills and plyos, jumps etc.
    Session was 100s with walk back recovery to be done at 14 sec pace as the coach said he wanted to see proper form while running at a slower pace. We did 3 of them in 13sec flat which was too fast for the purpose of the exercise.
    Next was 180m runs divided by markers at 20m to enable acceleration, top speed, recovery them keep repeating till the finish line. Only did one of these as I forgot my spikes tonight and I was afraid of slipping on the bend. Very frustrating...

Decided to give running a miss tonight cause I was tired and just didnt feel like running in that cold temp.
    Went upstairs to the nice warm gym instead and did an uppper body workout. As before but with 20kg, 25 and 27.5kg DBs with semi supinated grip. reps were 4, 3 and 2. then 3 sets/6 reps of chin ups with 10 sec recovery as before. Changing grip with each set.
    Hanging Gar Hammers were 3 sets of 25 reps and 1 set of 30 reps to finish.

There was nobody available to do hills in the park this so I did them on my own in Leixlip this morning. There is a long hill/driveway up to a local hotel in the village so I tried it this morning. It is more steep(at the end) than the one I did in the park but the bonus is that it is not muddy, its on tarmac so I get better traction and my form is better.
    30 seconds of running means I covered 180m-190m aprox on my garmin. Did 3 of them with 5 mins recovery. Only did 3 as it is my rest week this week and it was cold! 1 Celcius with some light snowfall.

Just checked my garmin and it says that the elevation gain was 9m over the 190m which does not sound like very much, thought it was more, felt like more anyways. Dont know much about hills and what gradient I should be doing but that equates to a 4.73% gradient (I think)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/276522880

Why in God's name does a 100-200 sprinter own a Garmin?!

Yeh I think you need to find a steeper hill. Just checked mapmyrun to see how steep the one we use is. It rises 14m for the first 150m, and 24m in total over the 250m. Though that doesn't seem quite right as the first 150m is much steeper than the last 100m so don't understand how the incline can be the same. But overall it's probably a general fair reflection at around 9% gradient.

Why in God's name does a 100-200 sprinter own a Garmin?!

He needs a toy to make training slightly more interesting ;)

• Advertisement

Yeh I think you need to find a steeper hill. Just checked mapmyrun to see how steep the one we use is. It rises 14m for the first 150m, and 24m in total over the 250m. Though that doesn't seem quite right as the first 150m is much steeper than the last 100m so don't understand how the incline can be the same. But overall it's probably a general fair reflection at around 9% gradient.

Cant find the hill I do on mapmyrun but the last part of it is quite steep and I really had to dig in at the end. I dont think the garmin is giving me a true reading on elevation gain. I will check this again.
    I like this hill as it is gradual at the start so it lets me attack it with a high turnover until it gets steeper and then I really have to work it. What is interesting is that I went very lactic on my last rep which was the 3rd and I didnt go lactic after doing 6 repeats in the park the week before. It must be that I was able to go all out cause I was not slipping in mud...

A quick lower body workout this morning, Squats were 60kg, 75kg and 85kg
    Deads were 100kg, 120kg and 140kg.
    Torture twist again to finish.
    Didnt go too hard/heavy in this session as it is an easy week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Hi RandyMann I came across your log after searching for crusaders athletics club and sprinting. I've been doing the interval nights there for middle distance runners on Tuesday nights since the start of the year. It was always going to be a temporary thing though because I'm too much into weightlifting to be a middle distance runner and plan to switch to sprinting once I get good 1 mile/5k/10k times recorded.

Do you still train with crusaders in Irish town? Is there a sprint group there and when do they train? I noticed a sprinting group on a couple of the Tuesdays I've been there. Also do the 100/200m and 400's train together or is there another group again for the 400's?

token wrote: »
    Hi RandyMann I came across your log after searching for crusaders athletics club and sprinting. I've been doing the interval nights there for middle distance runners on Tuesday nights since the start of the year. It was always going to be a temporary thing though because I'm too much into weightlifting to be a middle distance runner and plan to switch to sprinting once I get good 1 mile/5k/10k times recorded.

Do you still train with crusaders in Irish town? Is there a sprint group there and when do they train? I noticed a sprinting group on a couple of the Tuesdays I've been there. Also do the 100/200m and 400's train together or is there another group again for the 400's?

Hey there, yes I still train with that group and if you are there this Tuesday, I will introduce you to the sprint coach. He is the appointed athletics coach for Trinity college but he is also a Crusaders member so he should not have a problem with you joining in if you wish.
    The 100/200 and 400 guys all train together, its just when we do intervals, they are different.
    My name is Graham and I will be easy to spot as I am one of the two oldest guys training with that group. We are there Thursday evenings also.....

Did hills in the phoenix park this morning with a clubmate. The gradient is not much different to what I did locally last Saturday, in fact I dont think it is as steep. I believe the gradient should not be too steep for sprinting as it is important to keep your form and try and run like a sprinter rather than digging in and trying to climb it.
    I only managed 3 of there, 30secs of running with 5 mins recovery. My mate did 4 reps. The intensity was as hard as I could go and I was in a heap of pain that I could not do anymore. There is no way I did the same intensity the first week I did this. My training partner today is a fast 200m sprinter, 22secs, so all I could do was hang on to the back of him for 3 of the reps.
    I was so wrecked and sore with lactic that it was difficult to hold my head up on the walk back..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

RandyMann wrote: »
    Hey there, yes I still train with that group and if you are there this Tuesday, I will introduce you to the sprint coach. He is the appointed athletics coach for Trinity college but he is also a Crusaders member so he should not have a problem with you joining in if you wish.
    The 100/200 and 400 guys all train together, its just when we do intervals, they are different.
    My name is Graham and I will be easy to spot as I am one of the two oldest guys training with that group. We are there Thursday evenings also.....

Eamonn here. Yep great I should be there Tuesday and I'll look out for you. I'm not planning on starting right away but it would be good to find out all the details ahead of time.

Lower body this morning
    Front Squat, heels elevated 70kg X 4
    Back Squat, heels fully elevated 90kg X 4
    Back Squat, heels flat 100kg X 4
    The above were super sets
    Getting to like the squats now, even the front squat as I hated doing it starting off as it was very uncomfortable. Made some gains also from last time.

Deadlifts
    4 X 100kg
    4 X 120kg
    4 X 140kg
    The above were super sets
    1 X 160kg
    1 X 180kg
    1 X 190kg

Torture twists for core to finish.

The 190kg(2.8 times my body weight) deadlift is a pb and very pleased with that. The heaviest I lifted was 180kg last November. I did this out of curiousity as I felt I had a lot of energy today. I'm thinking I could probably go 200kg but will see, have to be mindful of not overdoing it.

Upper body

Same as before, bench at 75 degrees, 45 degrees and decline. DBs, semi supinated grip- 22kg, 26kg and 28kg. Super sets of 4 reps.

Chinups- super sets of 7 reps with diferent grips.

4 sets of 25 reps of hanging gar hammers to finish

Felt good this morning and recovered with no real tiredness/soreness from yesterday.
    Track tomorrow.

Got down to training early with a view to getting back for the match. Sort of rushed my warmup and wasnt really ready for the session which I did with a clubmate.
    Session was 250, 200, 150, 100, 50 with jog/walk recovery.
    Times were 35, 29 and have no times for the rest but they were not good.
    When I saw 29 for the 200, I knew my legs were shot from weights but it should be all right for Thursday.
    Rest tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Got down late this evening and was really tired from a tough day at work and a lot of travelling.
    Didnt have much time for a warmup and it wasnt a nice evening in Irishtown with the rain etc. so my heart wasn't in it.
    Session was 4 X 200 at tempo pace, 80% roughly. Recovery was 4 mins.
    Times were 27.1, 26.9, 26.6 and 28.2, works out at 27.2 average.
    Quite tired after that and feeling a bit sick, should not have been as it was meant to be tempo so I put it down to tiredness after a rough day.

After a full recovery we did 50m harness pulls, meant to be a total of 4 but myself and my partner only did 3 cause we were both suffering.
    Glad I went down tonight now as it was touch and go earlier. The bad weather is very discouraging of late.
    Gym planned for tomorrow morning...

Just realised that those 200s were too fast if they were meant to be 80%. If my 200 PB is/was near 24 flat, that means 80% should have been around 30 secs..

Advertisement