Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Didnt do gym yesterday, just didnt have it in me.
    Hills this morning locally in Leixlip with a mate of mine who is a long distance runner. 30 seconds on with 5 minute recovery. 3 reps and again found it really tough. I was ahead in all 3 of them, about 6 seconds in the first one but the was the gap was smaller in the last one. His recovery was a lot better than mine also.
    I think the tiredness is accumulating and may need a rest till Tuesday. That could all change tomorrow if I feel I have recovered but not likely...

Have done no training since last Saturday due to work etc.

Did a track session with 2 lads from my sprint group this morning, 6 X 50m off 3 point starts with 5 min recovery so it was a nice easy session to get back into it. Happy with my drive etc as I was ahead in all 6 of them.

Went upstairs to do a deadlift session with them and to cut a story short I lifted 200kg which is a pb. I weighed myself before I left and I was 66.3kg with clothes on, so the the lift was 3 times my bodyweight. I have been off my food during the week so I need to get eating well to bring myself back to 68/69kg. 66kg is too low and not healthy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

RandyMann wrote: »

Just realised that those 200s were too fast if they were meant to be 80%. If my 200 PB is/was near 24 flat, that means 80% should have been around 30 secs..

I don't think it works like that. It's 80% effort, not 80% of your PB. For example your PB is 24 seconds, that doesn't mean doing a 48 second 200m requires 50% effort. 48 seconds would be a stroll in the park. You can be going at 80% effort levels and still be 2 seconds off your PB IMO.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    I don't think it works like that. It's 80% effort, not 80% of your PB. For example your PB is 24 seconds, that doesn't mean doing a 48 second 200m requires 50% effort. 48 seconds would be a stroll in the park. You can be going at 80% effort levels and still be 2 seconds off your PB IMO.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/tp200.htm

The training pace calculator on the link above would say 30 seconds for 80% effort.
    With regard to 50% effort and 48 seconds, 50% effort would not be an applicable training effort for a sprinter IMO but yes it would be a stroll in the park.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/tp200.htm

The training pace calculator on the link above would say 30 seconds for 80% effort.
    With regard to 50% effort and 48 seconds, 50% effort would not be an applicable training effort for a sprinter IMO but yes it would be a stroll in the park.

Interesting. Looking at that calculator then I don't think I have ever done a session as low as 80% effort.

• Advertisement

Interesting. Looking at that calculator then I don't think I have ever done a session as low as 80% effort.

Me neither

Upper Body this morning.
    Same as before, DBs were 22.5, 25 & 27.5kg for shoulder press. 4 reps each.

Chinups/pull ups were 3 sets of 7 reps with different grips as before.

Hanging Gar Hammers 5 sets of 25 reps.

Bench press, 6 X 60kg, 2 X 70kg, 1 X 80kg

Session was 2 X 250m with 5 min recovery plus
    6 X 60m which were 3 sets of 2 reps with 45sec recovery between reps and 5 min between sets.

Rough times for the 250s were high 32 and low 33, no times for the 60s
    Weather made it really tough going out there tonight.....

3 X 250s this morning was all I could manage. Was meant to do 6 but just hadn't got it today. They were slow, about 37 seconds average. I knew when I woke up this morning that I was not up for it, probably cause of the hard session on Thursday.
    Went to the gym last night and same story, couldnt lift the dumbells so I left early.
    Think I will have a total break till Tuesday to get my energy back. I started on a new protein supplement during the week and it has wreaked havoc on my stomach so I am taking that into consideration also. Will go back to the original brand....

First training session since last Saturday as my heart is not in it with the cold weather, not enjoying training at all...

2 X 250m at tempo pace, meant to be around 80% to concentrate on form.
    Times were 38 and 36secs

4 X 12 second harness pulls with a 50m all out sprint straight after. Only did 3 reps as I was really suffering with this.

• Advertisement

First training session since last Saturday as my heart is not in it with the cold weather, not enjoying training at all...

2 X 250m at tempo pace, meant to be around 80% to concentrate on form.
    Times were 38 and 36secs

4 X 12 second harness pulls with a 50m all out sprint straight after. Only did 3 reps as I was really suffering with this.

Not long until the track season now, and the cold weather wont last forever. Good times ahead.

Wonder what is worse for training: 0 degrees or 35-40.

Not long until the track season now, and the cold weather wont last forever. Good times ahead.

Wonder what is worse for training: 0 degrees or 35-40.

Yes, looking forward to some racing indeed.
    As regards temperature, 40 would be too extreme and I would say it would be dangerous to train in that but I think I would like 35 or below for a while, at least the muscles needed for sprinting would respond better, me thinks...

Yes, looking forward to some racing indeed.
    As regards temperature, 40 would be too extreme and I would say it would be dangerous to train in that but I think I would like 35 or below for a while, at least the muscles needed for sprinting would respond better, me thinks...

The novelty of 35 wares off very very quickly I can assure you. Around 25 is perfect.

My training has gone to **** over the past couple of weeks due to work commitments and illness.
    Last Tuesday was 4 X 120s with 5 min recovery. Didnt train on Thursday and no gym sessions over the past 2 weeks either.
    Today was 2 X 200s with 6 minute recovery, average mid 26 secs
    5 X 50m of blocks at 100% with 5 min recovery. Felt very sluggish

My fitness has taken a dive along with my motivation to train. I hope to get it back....

Interval part of the session was a ladder of 50, 100, 150, 200, 150, 100, 50 with 5 mins recovery so they were meant to be at 100% and winding it back to 85%-90% for the 150 and 200.
    I was at the front for the 50 and 100 but I was fading when it went to the 150 and 200. I skipped the 2nd 150 on the advice of the coach as he said there was no point if the recovery was not there. I had enough for the last 100 and 50 to give it my all.
    It was a very tough session with 2 lads getting sick and I would have too if there was any in my stomach. Lactic pain was not nice along with headache etc.
    Gym planned for tomorrow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Lactic pain was not nice along with headache etc.

post-2153-0-43535400-1363463416.jpg

Good session, well done.

Went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a while, with a new program. I was just testing out the program till I get a feel for the weight/intensity of how much I am able to do.

Warmup with barbell, overhead press, squat, behind head press and overhead squat, all 5 reps and repeat 3 times

Jumps with barbell, 3 sets, 3 reps 50kg, 70kg, 70kg

Hang cleans, 4 sets 50kg, reps were 4, 3, 2, 1(failing here at the end)

Front squat, 70kg, 5 sets of 4 reps but was failing on this at the end.

Back extension with 25kg plate, 4 sets, 8 reps.

Left some kettle bell work out as I was too tired to do much more.
    The hang cleans really took a lot out of me, as I have not done them in such a long time and I realised I was doing them wrong previously anyway. My strength coach corrected al lot of bad technique recently. Needless to say I am in pain now, especially my traps which is to be expected with any new program/exercise.
    Track tonight will hopefully lossen me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Needless to say I am in pain now, especially my traps which is to be expected with any new program/exercise.
    Track tonight will hopefully lossen me out!

Yeah the hang cleans are a killer on the traps. Serious exercise, I love them.

Yeah the hang cleans are a killer on the traps. Serious exercise, I love them.

Yes, I really enjoyed them too. I have been mainly doing the pull type exercises up to recently like deadlifts so now I am moving into the more explosive type exercises. Lets hope they work! :)

After a brief warmup the session was 4 X 120s at 100% with 5 minute recovery.
    My legs were quite heavy but I got through the session ok and I am feeling like I am getting my fitness/sharpness back.
    Gym planned for tomorrow....

• Advertisement

Gym last night was really just mobility stuff and practising overhead squat with barbell. Really hard exercise to do right and it needs a lot of work....

Session this morning was 4 X 60m out of blocks and then 3 X 60 from 3 point starts. The track was crowded this morning with the juveniles so we could only take turns in the one lane and do our block starts individually.
    At the end we did the 3 point starts together when it emptied out, 6 of us. I was fading in the last 2 reps as fatigue set in.
    I found I was not that sharp today as my legs felt heavy from a tough week.

I hope to get to the track tomorrow but it will all depend on my recovery...

Got to the track this morning and met my training partner who is near to me in my speed/ability but he has better endurance.
    We decided on split 200s (150+50 with 40 sec recovery) at near 100%
    We did 3 of these with 8 minute recoveries.
    Times for the 150s were 18.56, 18.66 and no time for the last one but probably/hopefully was sub 19.
    I was ahead in the first interval, then about even in the second but the last one, I was really spent and was just hanging on a few metres behind.
    Really glad I got out this morning and did this session, feeling sore but happy.

Tonight was mainly technical with starts and driving out to 30, 40, 50 metres, lost count on how many I did but there was quite a few. It was all about technique tonight.

You ran a marathon?? When? Where?

You ran a marathon?? When? Where?

Dublin 2001, off 4 months training. Didnt know what I was doing, it was ugly and painful, limped over the line.....

Dublin 2001, off 3 months training. Didnt know what I was doing, it was ugly and painful, limped over the line.....

Epic. I have a 4:07 to my name. A training partner ran one in a shocking 5 and a half hours!! Then took up 100 and 200 and is pretty close to your times.

Epic. I have a 4:07 to my name. A training partner ran one in a shocking 5 and a half hours!! Then took up 100 and 200 and is pretty close to your times.

4:07 is actually good by comparison! Our times do prove the horses for courses adage though and we should stay on the track....;)

Gym session was yesterday evening as follows-

Warmup with barbell( Overhead Press, Back Squat, Press behind neck, Overhead Squat) 3 sets, 5 reps

Jumps with Barbell 70kg, 3 sets, 5 reps

Hang Cleans 50kg, 4 sets, 3 reps but failed on last rep so only managed 11 in total.

Front Squat 70kg, 5 sets, 3 reps

Back Extension with 20kg plate, 5 sets, 8 reps

Was really tired after the above and it took about 30 mins for my back msucles to settle(in spasm) after the back extensions, very painful.

Found this hard going with DOMS in my legs from yesterday evening.

3 X 100m accelerations

4 X 120m, max effort with 6 min recoveries

4 X 10 second harness pulls followed straight after each one by 60m flat out sprints

Was really suffering after this session. One of the hardest I have done so far.

Gym planned for the morning...

• Advertisement

Gym this morning was a slow start as I was tired but I found my energy to get through it as I was getting warmed up.

Upper body as follows-

Warmup with barbell( Overhead Press, Back Squat, Press behind neck, Overhead Squat) 3 sets, 5 reps
    Still finding this overhead squat really tough, have not got the mobility yet.

Push Press - 40kg 6 sets of 4 reps

1 1/4, 75 degree D/Bell 17.5kg Shoulder Press 5 sets of 4 reps

1 1/4 Semi Supinated Chin Up 4 sets of 4 reps

Dips 2 sets of 8 Reps

Single Arm Bent Over Row 2 sets of 8 reps each arm

Track planned for the morning...

Advertisement