Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

After warm up, did some bounding, jumps and plyos over small hurdles. Did some box jumps too but called it a day as I problem with shin splints....

First training session in a while(been injured) so did 2 X 250s with 12mins
    Times were low 32 and high 32. Really gave it everthing in the last one and when the lactic hit me, I couldnt hold my breakfast down and threw it up, not good.

4 X 120m at full effort with 6 min recovery followed by 4 X 10 sec harness pulls. Coached advised to not do 4 reps if we felt that we had not enough for the harness pulls so I did 3 120s and 2 harness pulls....

Went to the track this morning with the intention of not doing a lot as I have a 200 planned next Wednesday. Felt my energy wasnt fully there as I was nursing a head cold/sore throat during the week but I am over the worst. That is why I didnt train on Thursday.
    I did 2 X 150s off very long recovery. The first one was 18.2 running into a very strong wind, felt like I wasnt really moving for parts of the straight.
    The second was 17.9 which was better and the wind wasnt as strong. I would like to be knocking these out in 17.5 average so after Wednesday if I am doing a session like this again I will be going for 3-4 reps.
    Gym planned for the morning...

4 X 50m block starts on the bend at the 200m start point. Had reasonable breaks between and tried them in different lanes.
    On the last one I found my power/energy quite diminished with a club mate going easily by me on the inside lane so I called it a night.
    I was thinking that I will really have to work on my fitness once this race is over tomorrow.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck tomorrow RM, I'm running the 1500m so will keep an eye on the 200m races, which grade are you in?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow RM, I'm running the 1500m so will keep an eye on the 200m races, which grade are you in?

Thanks PC and good luck to you too, I will go in the B race, say hello if you spot me! but I will hang around to watch the 1500 also.

24.88 which is .04 slower than what I did this time last year. I wasnt expecting much tonight due to the bad weather but I am surprised with how I tied up so bad with 80m to go.
    I was strong in the bend but on the exit, my legs just died and I could do nothing about it. Fighting for the line was an eternity and my form went due to the struggle. I was completey spent after this and could have done no more. I will have to do a lot of work now on speed endurance..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

RandyMann wrote: »
    24.88 which is .04 slower than what I did this time last year. I wasnt expecting much tonight due to the bad weather but I am surprised with how I tied up so bad with 80m to go.
    I was strong in the bend but on the exit, my legs just died and I could do nothing about it. Fighting for the line was an eternity and my form went due to the struggle. I was completey spent after this and could have done no more. I will have to do a lot of work now on speed endurance..:eek:

Well done anyway, I found it pretty cold out there so that couldn't have helped. I was looking out for you, but managed to miss you. My head was in the clouds yesterday, I dunno what was up with me. I'll catch you at the next one! :)

Well done anyway, I found it pretty cold out there so that couldn't have helped. I was looking out for you, but managed to miss you. My head was in the clouds yesterday, I dunno what was up with me. I'll catch you at the next one! :)

Thanks, yes it was too cold for sprinting but I know I have some work to do now.
    I saw you run and well done. (I guessed it was you as I think you were in lane 7? but wasnt sure as you were the only one with a MSB singlet) I missed you afterwards as my race was on directly after yours. My head was all over the place too, cold, nervous and then proper fooked afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Yeah I was in lane 8! I've plenty to work on too, looks like we're close enough at the moment. If I can improve this season as much as you did last year I'd be delighted. It gives me hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Hop in the same 200m race next time lads. You are pretty closely matched and would add an element of craic to proceedings, which may help with nerves. My 200m PB was ran when I was in the same heat as a mate. Think it brought that little bit extra out.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Hop in the same 200m race next time lads. You are pretty closely matched and would add an element of craic to proceedings, which may help with nerves. My 200m PB was ran when I was in the same heat as a mate. Think it brought that little bit extra out.

Yes maybe next time but it was out of our hands with the draw. Next race is Saturday week so hopefully will improve and pray for good weather...

First session since race last Wednesday and to be honest, I wasnt feeling right at all for the past couple of days. Got a cough and was feeling run down. I went to the track this morning not feeling great either so was aprehensive of what to do.
    Met a couple of the lads there and decided on a session of 2 200s and 3 split 200s with the aim of the doing the first 200s in around 27
    Started at the 400m start but also had cones that marked the 150m point. I dont know what was in my head but instead of runing a full 200 at the start, I stopped at the cone for 150m so I then decided to wait 40secs and sprint out 50m. I did another 3 split 200s and called it a day. Recovery was about 7 minutes.
    The 150s were 2 high 17s and 2 low 18s
    Happy enough with the session and surprised myself as I thought it wasnt in me at the start.

Decided to do a session of 2 120s and 4 60s with 6 minute recovery.
    Went out hard as I could in the first one and crossed the line first in 14 secs flat which felt good and I could feel I was really moving.
    The second 120, I wasn't as fresh and got to the line 2nd but no time for that.
    Decided to do only 3 60s after that as I had not got the recovery tonight due to lack of sleep I reckon.
    Finished off the night with a small weights session upstairs which is the first one in quite a while.
    Have to say that I am really enjoying the training again, I think the weather has a lot to do with it. I notice a considerable difference in my speed/ability in the warm weather and I am not troubled with asthma either. Lets hope it continues that way...

Mainly block work tonight with 30s and 60s. Lost count but felt ok and if anything not fully sharp as I think my legs still feel the weights from Tuesday.

Dont really know what to expect of Saturday for the 100, if its nice warm weather, think I have a good chance of going sub 12 but if not, I will know what I have to do to sharpen up. The more races I do, the better but I am hoping to go under 11.6 this season, but we will see...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good luck Saturday.
    Weather is promised good.
    I am in the area but probably won't get to event, unless I can dodge out of the nephew's communion!

100m 11.78 wind + 2.9
    200m 24.25 wind + 2.5

With regard to the races, felt I got a good start in the 100 but stiffened up and was not as relaxed as I should have been.
    In the 200, I got a bad start because when I drove out of the blocks, the blocks slipped back which made me stumble. I think this was because there were not enough spikes in the blocks and there was not enough traction. I drove for about 40m but then relaxed, until just before I got out of the bend and I put the power down. While I didnt tie up like the Graded in Santry a week and a half ago, there was not a lot in the legs after the 100. There was a 30 minute gap between the races today.
    All in all I am happy enough with how the day went but I need to focus and keep racing as there is just under 3 months to go for the Masters in August and that is where it counts for me.

Actually, I scratch that PB above for the 100, with wind adjustment, it still is slower

200m 24.33 Gold
    100m 12.16 Gold

So I retained my titles from last year and while pleased with the wins I still have a lot to improve on. The times were legal I'm sure as there was little to no wind (the official times are not posted yet)
    I returned from a holiday in Spain last night and I didnt have the best of preparation. While I didnt drink any alcohol, I ate so much during the week that I put on 3kg in weight. 70.8kg is the heaviest I have ever been in my life :eek: I got one training session done on the beach Wednesday morning which was 3 X 250, average 36 seconds with a stong wind behind me.
    The 200 is a seasons best as last weeks races had illegal wind. Today the weather was perfect so I have no excuses. I was in with the 35 age group and I was just beaten by a guy in that age group by .05 seconds. It was a good race, neck and neck but my legs just didnt have enough today to beat him. I have beaten him the past 2 200 races we had but they were very close also. He is actually moving up to my M40 category in July so I really have my work cut out now :)
    The 100 was a bit of a disaster as I had a shocking start and really had to work it to get third. I was in with the 35 year olds again but I only had 1 other 40 year old in my race to beat. If I had the start I wanted, it would still have probably only got me 11.9X I was half asleep today when the gun went off and my reaction which is normally good, really cost me a lot and it was too much to make up.
    I need now to get back into regular training with track and gym days as my training has not been very consistant of late and it is showing in the performances. I really want to run that sub 24 200m sooner than later...
    Gym planned for the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done RM, I saw your 100m race, you got moving good after about 40m. I wasn't sure what the age groups were like that you were racing against so well done on the two golds.

Did a gym session yesterday morning, didnt overdo, as follows-
    Hang Cleans 4 sets, 4 reps 50kg
    Front Squat 3 sets, 5 reps 80kg

Track tonight

Not much of a warmup for such nice weather we are having! Just did a lap of the track, some stretches and hurdle drills
    Did the 3 X 250s again with 6 minute recoveries
    Times were 32.6, 32.9 and 34.4
    There was no way I had another rep in me as I was really lactic after this. I didnt feel sick though and even though it was very painful in the legs when it kicked in, I think I am becoming more tolerant to it...

Tired tonight, did 4 X 120s and the recovery planned was meant to be 6 minutes but that went by the wayside. No times for these either as there was no one doing that.

Went down to the track this morning knowing there was not much running in my legs. The lads were doing 4 X split 200s but when I tried a 150, I was too fatigued to do any more. The week has caught up with me with regard to energy in my legs.
    I decided instead to do some block work and I did 4 X 30s out of blocks and finished with a rough 60m.

I went up to the gym and did some hang cleans and front squats.
    Hang cleans were 3 X 40kg, 3 X 50kg and 3 X 60kg
    Front Squats were 3 X 60kg, 3 X 70kg, 3 X 80kg, 1 X 90kg, 1 X 100kg and failed at 110kg

Going to try and taper down now for next Wednesday and hopefully get some power back in the legs....

100m -12.07

Not much to say about this besides being disappointed with the time. Another bad start which cost me a couple of tenths I reckon. The wet weather didnt really help either.
    I am anxious to get this start problem sorted, sooner than later, I hope it doesnt become a habit.
    I didnt run the 400 as I decided not to before hand, kinda wished I had now...

Plyometrics with depth jumps
    6 X 40m from 3 point starts
    2 X split 200s with 6 minute recovery

Gym planned for tomorrow..

4 X 30m from 3 point starts
    3 X 40m, flying starts with 5 min recoveries

Did these to work on my acceleration as there is a lot to improve for the 100m let alone my starts.

Went upstairs to the gym to do a session as I didnt make it yesterday.

Deadlifts-
    80kg X 6
    100kg X 4
    120kg X 3
    140kg X 3
    150kg X 2
    160kg X 1
    170kg X 1
    180kg X 1
    190kg X 1
    200kg - Fail

I was pleased with the above as I have not done any deadlifts since the 16th March so I still have that power. I just need to translate that power into the track which is the hard part :)

3 sets, 3 reps of push press, 50kg

3 sets, 3 reps of jump squats 80kg

Finished with some one leg jumps onto box, 3 sets, 6 reps each leg.

Might do an upper body/core session in the gym tomorrow, if I'm able....

Did this upper body session yesterday, rested today.

Push Press - 6 sets of 5 reps 40kg

1 1/4 75 degree DB Shoulder Press Semi Supinated Grip 5 sets 3 reps 20kg

1 1/4 Semi Supinated Chin Ups close grip 5 sets 4 reps

Dips 2 sets 8 reps

Great weather and warmth tonight for a track session. Kept it simple with 3 X 250s with 6 min recoveries
    Times were- 32.21, 32.1, 34.8

• Advertisement

Feeling unwell today with a sick stomach so forced myself to go training.

Plyos to start and then did the same session as last Saturday, 4 X 30s with 3 point starts and 3 X flying 40s

Finished with a 120 but didnt have much in my legs for that so it was a good bit off the pace. It's surprising how much 30s and 40s take it out of your legs when you are doing them at 100%

Felt sharper tonight with the 30s and feel I am getting that quick turnover now that I was lacking up to now.

Starting under a new coach on Saturday and I am looking forward to that. My training group has been coachless for the past 2 months.

Advertisement