Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Did a session with my new coach today and it went really well, very enjoyable and it was good to get 1 to 1 coaching and advice on how to correct my technique. I have a lot of muscle soreness after this as I was engaging different muscles that I would not normally use.
    Apparently I was running with sinking hips(not using my core enough to keep hips forward and high) and I was trailing my leg behind me too much so not enough cycling action.

Session was 6 X flying 30s and 2 X 30s 3 point start.
    Will rest tomorrow and have a rest week with little training.

No training at all since last Saturday as I was away for the week in Barcelona. I was quite sore after the track session last Saturday due to trying to improve my form and the coach getting me to run more correctly. Glutes and hamstrings were tender and it was like I never sprinted before.

Today we did 2 X 50, 2 X 40 and 2 X 30 It didnt go too well as my form was not the best, I think due to the fact of all the alcohol I drank during the week. Hopefully Tuesday I will be back to normal..

Went upstairs to the gym after and did the following-

Front Squats-
    4 X 60kg
    4 X 70kg
    3 X 80kg
    1 X 90kg
    1 X 100kg

Push Press
    4 X 40kg
    4 X 50kg

Left then, too tired to do anymore!

Last nights session was 5 X 120s with 5 min recovery. No times for these.
    Still not right with low energy and struggled more than usual in the last 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

RandyMann wrote: »
    Last nights session was 5 X 120s with 5 min recovery. No times for these.
    Still not right with low energy and struggled more than usual in the last 3.

Could be a sign of over training RM. Then again, it was very muggy yesterday and I felt low aswell because of this. No harm in taking an easy week every 4 weeks just to recharge the batteries.. Think Im due 1 pretty soon!!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Could be a sign of over training RM. Then again, it was very muggy yesterday and I felt low aswell because of this. No harm in taking an easy week every 4 weeks just to recharge the batteries.. Think Im due 1 pretty soon!!

I think you are right but the problem is that my easy week was a week of drinking etc. in Barcelona so I am still paying for it I think :) Sleep has been disrupted because of it too.
    I am going for the easy week in every 4 from now on.

• Advertisement

Block starts -
    3 X 15m
    3 X 25m
    3 X 35m

In between each set of 3 there was a flying 20m, all the above were with 5 minute recoveries

Got a 100 and 200 race on Saturday with the Irish Milers Club in Santry. I'm kind of nervous about the 100 as I messed up the start with the last one. The 200, I dont expect a good time as there is only 25 mins between the 100 and 200 which is not enough recovery for someone like myself. It will be good for developement anyhow to see where I am.

Correction, theres an hour between the 100 and 200 but still ....

100m 12.14, -1.3 wind
    200m 24.85, dont know wind reading but it was negative too

Another crap start in the 100 and it was a battle all the way to the line, lost it in the last 10m and got 2nd in the C race, it was won 12.09 I think.

I wasnt in a good frame of mind for the 200 after the 100 disappointment so I didnt really give it my all and took it easy on the bend so I could finish it strong. To be honest I just wanted to treat it as a training run/race I kind of knew it was a high 24 before I got the result so wasn't really surprised.

Not really enjoying myself lately in athletics as I am not hitting my targets.
    Anyway, back to the grind on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Not really enjoying myself lately in athletics as I am not hitting my targets.
    Anyway, back to the grind on Tuesday.

Some times we can be too focused and too close to the situation that we just need to get back to the basics of enjoying the running. We are all hobby runners at the end of the day so need to enjoy what we do. With the consistency in training though the times will come

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I think you are right but the problem is that my easy week was a week of drinking etc. in Barcelona so I am still paying for it I think :) Sleep has been disrupted because of it too.
    I am going for the easy week in every 4 from now on.

I think this is important. I often plan my easy weeks around sessions with the lads! It's so counterproductive. Your body is wrecked and yet we decide to throw all our training into the air....at the same time, as ecoli says, athletics is just a hobby of ours. So remember that you were probably still paying for it today and that today was a good endurance session for better runs to come in the next month or two (provided you do nothing but lay across the couch for future easy weeks;);))

Coach wasnt here tonight but he left word on what to do.

8 X 75m at 100% with 5 min recovery

Legs felt a bit tired and sore during my warmup strides but when I started the session I kinda forgot about it and pushed it. Got to the line first for the first few and then fatigue started to set in and had to dig deep for the rest of them. Started to retch after the 7th rep but held it down.
    Really tough session but glad I finished it.

• Advertisement

Block Starts tonight

3 X 10m
    3 X 15m
    3 X 25m
    2 X 40m

My coach is making me do a lot of changes with a different approach and style. Enjoyed tonights session as I feel it is starting to work.

Hopefully a gym session tomorrow..

It was just myself and the coach this morning doing this session.

To start it was 2 flying 30s and then 2 X 30 with 3 point start.
    2 sets of 5 X 50m turnarounds, 30 second recovery after each 50 and they were all 3 point start.
    6 minutes rest and then another set of 5 X 50, 10 50s in total.

It was a killer session to say the least. The first set, I was within touching distance of the coach but I was really hanging onto the back on him for the 2nd set with the last few reps I was falling apart and the gap was about 3m and widening.
    I think I did well though as my coach is an ex 400m olympian who is getting fit again:)

Another speed endurance session tonight as follows

150, 120, 100, 80, 100, 120
    Recoveries 6mins, 5 mins, 4mins, 4mins, 5mins

With this session I really had to dig deep. While I was up at the front for the first 4 reps, the last 2 reps I fell apart and just tried to keep some kind of form. I got that lactic headache on the 2nd last rep and would have thrown up bar the fact there was nothing on my stomach.
    It took a long time to recover after this and I walked around the track once the nausea feeling relaxed and then jogged one lap also.

Going to give the gym a rest as I need to recover after these track sessions, so rest tomorrow and track Thursday.

Another great night for sprinting, have to say I have not enjoyed training so much ever with this great weather.

Session was 6 X 50m, block starts

4 of us starting together and I was second in all of them, behind the coach and last couple I was nearly on his shoulder. Really felt I was moving tonight and my reaction and drive phase really coming together now.
    Rest tomorrow till Saturday.
    I am gearing up for a 100m race next Wednesday at the Dublin Graded with the following weekend being the national seniors where I will run the 100 & 200.

Mainly technical session this morning, started with running over cones for high knee lift and leg tuck and then onto block work.
    12mX3, 25mX3, 40mX3 all out of blocks.

Because it was all technical, there were a lot of things to concentrate on which meant that speed and getting to the line first was not the priority.
    I was getting to the line first with my training partner but just barely compared to Thursday as I was not running the way that feels natural to me.
    Simple things like hip height and angle correction in the blocks slowed down my reaction time but when it comes to racing, the coach said just do what comes natural and dont over think it.

Coach had us training tonight instead of tomorrow as there is a 100m on Wednesday.
    Just did some starts out of blocks, driving for 20m and followed by flying 25m's 3 reps of each. Nothing too heavy in order to be fresh for Wednesday.

After the disaster on Wednesday at the Dublin Graded 100m in 12.38secs, I am off to do a 200m in the Nationals today, fun times ahead....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

After the disaster on Wednesday at the Dublin Graded 100m in 12.38secs, I am off to do a 200m in the Nationals today, fun times ahead....

Best of luck, and most importantly, have fun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Good luck, enjoy yourself.

Thanks lads but yesterday I decided at the last minute not to go. I am just not feeling good lately. I'm not sick but don't seem to have much energy. I didn't think it was a good idea to race yesterday.
    My 100m time on Wednesday shows that something is up so I think I need to recharge the battery and see if I can recover some of my form for my big race in 3 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thanks lads but yesterday I decided at the last minute not to go. I am just not feeling good lately. I'm not sick but don't seem to have much energy. I didn't think it was a good idea to race yesterday.
    My 100m time on Wednesday shows that something is up so I think I need to recharge the battery and see if I can recover some of my form for my big race in 3 weeks time.

Sounds like overtraining RM. A week of easy running would do you no harm..

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Sounds like overtraining RM. A week of easy running would do you no harm..

Yes, hopefully. I took a full week off and did absolutely nothing, dont know whether I should have done some easy running but back to the grind tomorrow!

Looks like I wont be training tonight either as I have swollen glands/sore neck and feeling really run down...frustrating...:(

200m - 24.52

Conditions were good last night for sprinting and I gave this race everything I got so no excuses. Lets see if I can improve on that Saturday week for my last race of the season.

3rd in the 200m with a time of 24.41

All in all it was a fair time/result to what shape I am in. I'm happy I came away with a medal and I could not have done much better today. I was conservative in the bend as I didn't have the confidence in my speed endurance and I wanted to save something for the last 80m. I made up ground on the guy in second place but I think I left it a bit too late in the end. It was won in 23.66 and second place was 24.26(I think)
    I am glad this season is over and while I have no injuries, I just feel stale and every race I ran, I was just grinding it out. I am going to take 6-8 weeks off training now and approach next season fresh. Next year will be my 3rd season as a sprinter and probably my last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

3rd in the 200m with a time of 24.41

All in all it was a fair time/result to what shape I am in. I'm happy I came away with a medal and I could not have done much better today. I was conservative in the bend as I didn't have the confidence in my speed endurance and I wanted to save something for the last 80m. I made up ground on the guy in second place but I think I left it a bit too late in the end. It was won in 23.66 and second place was 24.26(I think)
    I am glad this season is over and while I have no injuries, I just feel stale and every race I ran, I was just grinding it out. I am going to take 6-8 weeks off training now and approach next season fresh. Next year will be my 3rd season as a sprinter and probably my last.

Just seen this now. Well done on a solid performance. If you remember me say to you at the end of last season that it is important to take a good break before going back into winter training (I think I posted a link to David Gillick's blog saying likewise). I think the fact you didn't take any real break and just kept training could be a big reason why you felt stale throughout the season. A big break is needed and then come back hard.

Also, seriously look at some early season 400m races to improve your speed endurance.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Just seen this now. Well done on a solid performance. If you remember me say to you at the end of last season that it is important to take a good break before going back into winter training (I think I posted a link to David Gillick's blog saying likewise). I think the fact you didn't take any real break and just kept training could be a big reason why you felt stale throughout the season. A big break is needed and then come back hard.

Also, seriously look at some early season 400m races to improve your speed endurance.

Hey Pisco/Chivito, didnt realise you changed your name! Yes I do remember what you said last season and you were right. It kept coming into my head in the last few weeks of my season, so it came back to haunt me :)
    To be honest I am enjoying this break and it is really what I needed as I was not enjoying the training anymore. What I do notice is simple stuff like running up the stairs now feels very springy/light, like I have a new pair of legs. I also feel that while it has only been two weeks, I just have to resist the urge now to sprint which is creeping in!

After a well needed rest, I started back with sprint training on Sunday.

Hill Run- 250m, 250m, 200m, 200m, 150m, 150m, 150m. Walk back recovery with 5-6mins rest between the 250,200 and 150s Very tough and I rediscovered what lactic can do to me.

Monday morning, Gym- warm up then Hang Cleans- 4 sets of 4 reps, 40kg, 40kg, 40kg, 50kg. Front Squats 4 sets, 4 reps, 60kg, 60kg, 60kg, 70kg
    Back Extensions, 3 sets, 10 reps with 10kg plate.
    Will be adjusting my gym program over the next few weeks to add more reps and less weight.

Tuesday Night.All on grass 4 X60m turnarounds with 40 sec recocery at 80%, 5min recovery, 3.5 laps of football pitch fartlek, 5 mins recovery, repeat farlek another 2 times then 4X60 turnarounds. Only did 2 of the pitch farleks as my fitness is limited at the moment.

Meant to be gym today but will rest as tomorrows with be a tough track session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Good to see you back, best of luck with the training :).

• Advertisement

Didnt go training on Thursday, felt I was coming down with a virus. Trained today and felt very weak so will rest till Tuesday and play it by ear.

This mornings session was hurdle mobility work and then plyos.

3 X 60m rolling starts and 3 X 80m (in and outs) all runs were technical with form being the priority. Frustrating getting sick at the start of my season...

Advertisement