Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

100m 12.48sec, wasnt happy with this as I wanted to go under 12 and I didnt run well at all, bad start etc.

200m 25.35sec, this was another pb and it was some consolation after the 100m

Noticed that the guys who win these(11.53sec and 23.87 respectivley), are a lot bigger/bulkier than me so I think I have to lift a lot more to have a chance to get close to them. The overall quality at this event was an eye opener. The 5k was won in about 15:16 I think, great talent all round there today.
    Back to the grind....

Ok had 9 days off to let a knee problem heal. I have done light jogging but nothing fast and it seems to have got better now. I have done no lifting for 2 weeks.

This morning was a gym session-

3 sets of 12reps (12kg) kettle bell swings for warm up
    3 sets of 8 pull ups
    4 sets of 8 dead lifts. Starting at 60kg(warmup), then 80kg, 90kg and finishing with 100kg. The heaviest to date before today was 80kg so 100kg is an improvement.
    10 reps of upright row as I had to leave in a hurry, would normally do 3 sets of 10

Tomorrow is back to the track with 200m intervals planned.

Track Session

Warmup of 800m plus dynamic stretching and strides

2 by 200m at 32 seconds each

2 by 150m at 21 seconds each

2 by 100m at 13 seconds each

Didnt push it too hard as first real track training in 1.5 weeks and knee felt ok

Gym session in morning

Gym session this morning

Leg press
    12 reps 60kg warmup
    8 reps 120kg
    8 reps 160kg
    4 reps 200kg

3 sets of 10 reps incline press with 20kg dumbells

Track session tomorrow morning planned.

800m warmup, dynamic stretching and strides

200m intervals with 3-4 minute recovery

27, 26, 26, 26 seconds respectivley

Cool down 400m jog

• Advertisement

Gym Session

Squats
    10 reps 60kg warm up
    8 reps 80kg
    8 reps 80kg
    8 reps 100kg

Bench Press
    8 reps 60kg
    2 reps 70kg
    1 rep 75kg

Gym Session this morning

3 sets of 12 reps Tricep Dips

3 sets of 10 reps Shoulder Press 15kg Dumbells

3 sets of 10 reps Chest Flys 15kg Dumbells

10 Chin Ups

Missed track session last night

Track Session

400m Dynamic Stretching Warmup

Sprint Drills

Finished with 100m crouch start - 12.19sec (Had a mate timing me)

Was not feeling well enough today, no energy so had to cut this session short.

Gym plus track session

Squats - 10 * 60kg warmup
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 120kg
    4 * 130kg

Bench Press- 10 * 40kg
    8 * 60kg
    4 * 70kg
    1 * 80kg

Shoulder Press- 3 * 8 reps 17.5kg DBs

Track - 1 mile warm up
    4 * 400m in 78 secs with 60 sec recovery
    2 * 100m in 12.5 secs aprox
    I would not normally do 400s but I was with a mate who was doing 8 of them so I tagged along. It will keep me in touch with my stamina component.

Last night 3k jog

Gym this morning

3 sets 8 Pull ups

Dead Lifts
    10 * 60kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 120kg

Shrugs 3 sets of 8 * 60kg I am doing these to build up my traps as there is very little there at the moment. When I rest a heavy bar bell on my shoulders for squats, it really hurts to the bone and I am suffering badly from last squat session. I was also using foam padding but it still hurt big time. I am not interested in doing any lifting that does not help my running, just this one exception.

Upright Row 3 sets of 8 * 40kg

• Advertisement

Track session didnt happen. Dropped my 2 girls down to the track with the intention of me doing something too. Went back to the car to sit down as had no energy and woke with a jump after falling asleep for 45 mins. Woke just in time to meet them coming out.
    I will make up for it on Saturday. More weights in the morning.

Track Session

800m jog + 10 minute dynamic stretching plus 60m strides.

200m intervals with 3 minute recovery

27, 26, 26, 27

Didnt have enough for a 5th attempt but happy enough since I had a few pints last night.

Rest until Monday.

Track Session

800m warmup, stretching, strides

6 by 30m crouch starts with 100% effort.

Called it a night and waited for my daughter to finish her training.
    I was asked to run a 100m leg in the juvenile's relay race so I foolishly did and tore my hamstring. It was 45 minutes after my workout and I had cooled down. A bad mistake to make without warming up again and when it went on the bend, it popped and not knowing what was happening, I suddenly lost all power and control of my leg. I slowed down to a walk/limp and then the real pain set in and could hardly walk after that. Had to sit down as the pain was quite severe from the middle of my hamstring, radiating all the way down my leg. I never did this before so didnt know what was happening.
    The drive home was very difficult. Ice and painkillers now and will contact sports massage guy tomorrow.

Yesterday had my first jog in 1.5 weeks but have been doing some strength work and stretching for hamstring over the past week by physio advice.
    Slow jog on treadmill, 1km and hamstring felt ok, just tight. After this warmup spent 30 minutes stretching hamstring out and got it nearly the same as other leg. Did some strength work for hamstring on machine, nothing heavy and then spent another 10 minutes stretching/cool down.
    Also did some bench press to fill in the time while waiting for my girls to finish their training.

1 mile jog on track then stretching.
    Did some work on hamstring machine and then more stretching. Hamstring feeling stronger and I have it stretched to the same length as good leg now.

Gym tomorrow morning

Gym this morning

Biceps, triceps, trap and shoulder workout. Focussed on arms more as I feel they are hindering my bench press progress.

Gym this morning, mainly bench press which I maxed at 85kg and is a 5kg improvement. My bodyweight is a constant 67kg so I am happy with this.

Track.

Warm up jog then lots ot stretching.
    Did 6 by 60m strides to test leg and it held up with about 60%-70% effort. I am slowly ramping up the effort with a view to get back to normal training in a 1.5 weeks time.
    Cool down jog with stretching to finish.

Gym

Bench Press
    12 by 40kg warm up
    8 by 60kg
    6 by 70kg
    2 by 80kg
    1 by 85kg
    Failed at 87.5kg
    28 by 40kg

30 chin ups pyramid

Anxious to get back to proper track running so will try some more tomorrow night at slightly more intensity.

Track Sprint Session

Joined the new sprint group tonight and it was the toughest training session that I can remember. This was maybe partly because I have lost a lot of my fitness over the few weeks.
    It was also good to be properly coached and to be corrected for my bad technique.
    It consisted of a long warmup with stretching and lots of various drills that I have not done before and which hard and tiring. Lots of hopping/jumping drills with hurdle exercises.
    Did a 150m, 120m and 100m with a walk back rest in between.
    These were meant to be at 90% effort but I was dead on my feet after the 100m. There was an 8 minute rest before the next set of 3 which I couldnt do as I was exhausted, there was nothing left in me. I felt as bad as when I raced my first 200m last May. The good thing was that my hamstring gave me no problems.

Gym session planned for the morning.

• Advertisement

Gym Session

Bench Press
    12 by 40kg warmup
    6 by 65kg
    4 by 75kg
    1 by 80kg
    1 by 85kg

Incline Bench Press
    8 by 20kg
    8 by 30kg
    6 by 40kg
    2 by 50kg

Very tired this morning and not in humour for gym at 7am. Also legs quite sore now and I'm hurting all over from last night. Out for recovery run now

Joined the middle distance group tonight for 8 400s(60sec recovery) down at the club. Took it easy going around, average 92 seconds. I did this to get some fitness back and to flush the alcohol out of my system from the weekend. I will not be doing any more of those middle distance sessions. From now on my longest run will be a 2-3k slow run at the weekend.

Gym planned for early in the morning

Bench Press

12 * 40kg warmup
    8 * 50kg
    8 * 60kg
    6 * 70kg
    2 * 80kg
    1 * 85kg
    30 * 50kg to max out

Sprint Session tonight.

Various sprint drills and hurdle work which lasted for over an hour.
    200m, 150m, 120m, 100m, 80m with jog recovery back to start between each.
    I went out too hard in the first 200(meant to be at 70% effort but I didnt know and went at 90% ) which made it difficult for the rest of the intervals.
    I finished the session and was happy to complete it but I was on my knees at the end. Really tough and I will be sore for a few days after this. Session lasted 1.5 hours. Never have I worked as hard.

Maybe gym in the morning depending how I feel.

800m warm up, strectching plus a few 80m strides.

6 * 30m and 4 * 60m, all 100% effort.

Bench Press with Dumbells
    10 with 20kg
    8 with 27.5kg
    6 with 30kg
    4 with 32.5kg
    Failed with 35kg

27.5kg dumbells were the heaviest to date so I'm well happy with 32.5kg this morning.

2 hour Session with the sprint group.

Session consisted of 90 minutes of warmup/drills etc
    Intervals were 12 * 60m sprints.
    First 4 were rolling start with about 70% effort and the next 4 were 3 point crouch start with about 90% effort.
    6 minute recovery and then the last set of 4 with about 90% effort.
    Really tough and I made the mistake of eating too late in the afternoon which made it a struggle for me not to throw up.Horrible experience. Another lesson learned.

1km jog on treadmill

Same Benchpress/Dumbell session as last Saturday

4k run on treadmill. Too wet to run outside. 21 minutes.

800m warmup jog on track

Bench Press with Dumb Bells

12 * 20kg DBs warmup
    8 * 27.5kg DBs
    6 * 30kg DBs
    5 * 32.5kg DBs
    2 * 35kg DBs (a new pb)

Squats
    10 * 60kg
    8 * 80kg
    6 * 90kg
    4 * 100kg
    Found this tough as it was the first time I have done this since before hamstring injury, about 7 weeks ago.
    Hamstring is giving me no problems now so I feel confident to put the full power down in the sessions.

• Advertisement

Bench Press same as last session.

Advertisement