Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

24s in training this time of the year is very impressive. You should be looking good for a solid electronically timed 24 in your first race of the season if training is anything to go by. Good work.

What are the longest reps you have done? Have you done any 400m type speed endurance training. With your 200m speed you look good for a 54-55, but only if you do the speed endurance. Without it you’d be amazed how bad the drop off is between 2 and 4. At the Country Champs in January I beat one lad over 400 by almost 1 second, and he was a 12/24 guy over 100 and 200.

Best of luck with whatever events you decide to focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

04072511 wrote: »
    24s in training this time of the year is very impressive. You should be looking good for a solid electronically timed 24 in your first race of the season if training is anything to go by. Good work.

What are the longest reps you have done? Have you done any 400m type speed endurance training. With your 200m speed you look good for a 54-55, but only if you do the speed endurance. Without it you’d be amazed how bad the drop off is between 2 and 4. At the Country Champs in January I beat one lad over 400 by almost 1 second, and he was a 12/24 guy over 100 and 200.

Best of luck with whatever events you decide to focus on.

Thanks, I would be happy with a sub 25 200 which I am due to race in May. It is all about the electronic times as you say and I am not giving much credance to rough hand times.
    The main focus now is to go sub 12 100m in April in the graded meets.

The longest rep I would do would be 250m but that is a pyramid type workout. I will be doing more intervals like 150s coming up to May. The group I train with are mainly 400m guys with a few that are 100m/200m so I only do the shorter intervals with them.
    Maybe next year, I may train for a 400(I would like to give it a go) but I dont know whether that endurance work would suit me as I have tended to break down/burn out easily with a lot of running. This may change by next season if I adapt and be more able for it after a full season under my belt. Last year was tough with illness/injury and getting knocked back probably due to the fact that I was overdoing and by not having an athletics background, I didnt know how to pace and spread out my training.

RandyMann wrote: »
    Thanks, I would be happy with a sub 25 200 which I am due to race in May. It is all about the electronic times as you say and I am not giving much credance to rough hand times.
    The main focus now is to go sub 12 100m in April in the graded meets.

The longest rep I would do would be 250m but that is a pyramid type workout. I will be doing more intervals like 150s coming up to May. The group I train with are mainly 400m guys with a few that are 100m/200m so I only do the shorter intervals with them.
    Maybe next year, I may train for a 400(I would like to give it a go) but I dont know whether that endurance work would suit me as I have tended to break down/burn out easily with a lot of running. This may change by next season if I adapt and be more able for it after a full season under my belt. Last year was tough with illness/injury and getting knocked back probably due to the fact that I was overdoing and by not having an athletics background, I didnt know how to pace and spread out my training.

Just one word of warning though, gains in the 100 are a lot harder to find than gains in the 200 and 400. Not saying you wont hit your target, just saying it is a very natural event so the scope for improvement is a lot less. Brianderunner was a 12.4 guy off just natural speed before he spent a significant period of time focusing on pure speed and got down to 12.02 (or so I recall him saying, he could confirm or deny that). I reckon to run sub 12 you would want to be in very low 24 second 200 shape, both of which you are very capable of.

Sure give a 400m race a bash this season anyway and see where you stand. You need the points for the IAAF challenge anyway :)

Lower body workout this morning.

1 mile warmup jog
    Usual sprint drills and hurdle work

6 X 150m with 150m walk back recovery
    6 minute recovery after first 3
    No times for these. Really tough session and felt sick after the 3rd 150m.
    Need a rest now and wont do anything until Saturday.

• Advertisement

Upper body workout

1200m warmup with drills and hurdle drills

300m, 200m, 150m, 100m, 100m with a jog recovery (shorter recovery jog of 100m for the 100m interval)
    Rough times 43, 26, 19, 13, 13

Lower Body workout. Couldn't finish it as gym was full. Will do again on fri.

1200m jog with drills etc
    Interval Session was 9 X 60m intervals at 100% with 3 point starts and walk back recovery. 5 min recovery between each set of 3.
    3 X 40m as part of warmup before.
    Could only do half of the session as I was feeling rough after a late night last night. Legs were gone after 4th interval.
    Has not been a good week so far, training wise.

Warm up, drills etc.

6 X 150m, walk back recovery with a 5 min rest after first 3 intervals.
    All done on grass as track was closed. Legs still sore from Thursday session which was took its toll on my shins and hamstrings. Hamstrings were sore up until yesterday.
    Weights tomorrow and hope to get 3 weight sessions in before Friday as that is when my next track session is. This should give me time for my shins to heal.

• Advertisement

Lower body workout. Got through it ok with increased weight from last sesion. Session consists of step downs with dumbells, romanian semi stiff dead lifts, split squats with pulley, back extensions, single calf raises and hanging gar hammers.
    Took a break for 4 days due to lack of energy. I have been very tired this week and I just wanted to sleep when I came home from work. I have not had a rest week for quite a while and the only rest I have had were forced ones due to catching flus/virus etc.
    I started to take some rubex boost on Thursday which has some of the B vitamins in it, vitamin D, magnesium and zinc. They are a 20 day supply. It seems to be doing the trick but this maybe due to the rest and placebo effect also. I am not really ok with taking a lot of vitamins as I try to have a varied diet which covers most of my needs. I do take omega 3 and vitamin C every day though for the past few months.

Warmup, drills, hurdle drills. Did some throws with 4kg shot put which was done from squat postion and lunge forward while throwing the shot. Sort of plyometric work.

Interval Session was run as hard as you can for 20 seconds and repeat 4 times with an 8 minute recovery. When the coach said stop you record the part of the track where you were

Distances covered (aprox) 165m, 170m, 160m, 165m

I was happy and surprised with covering 170m in 20 seconds which may indicate a low 24 200m

4k jog today. Had a break since last Monday due to cold/cough.
    Gym planned for tomorrow and should be back for normal routine next week.

4k jog today. Had a break since last Monday due to cold/cough.
    Gym planned for tomorrow and should be back for normal routine next week.

What sort of pace/ effort levels do you do your jogs at?

What sort of pace/ effort levels do you do your jogs at?

About 5min/km pace so 4k took me 20 mins. I enjoy this, just enough to break out a sweat but no big effort that I am tired from it.
    I dont think 4k is necessary,2-3k would be enough. I just did it to clear out my chest after the cold/cough.

Usual warmup, drill, hurdle drills, warm up strides.

Speed Endurance Interval Session
    1 set=60m60m 80m,80m 100m,100m with a walk rest of 20m in between.
    Rest 2 mins between sets and repeat 3 times

Took it easy doing this tonight as I am still recovering and a bit chesty but had enough in the tank to do the last 100m all out.

Time trials tonight for 300m, 200m and 100m
    I was feeling quite weak in the warmup/drills, out of breath etc as I am still not fully right from a mild chest infection.
    Did 3 X 40m all out sprints with crouch starts to get ready for trial and I crossed the line first in the 3 of them. I was up against the 400m guys.
    I was due to do the 200m and 100m but decided to only do the 100m as an all out effort.
    Time was 11.9 which I would very happy with if I could do that officially on the 25th April in the Dublin Graded. Crossed the line first but there were mostly girls in my race ;)

Session was on Monday - on grass
    Intervals 200m, 100m, 200m, 100m with 200m/100m jog recovery. 300m jog then repeat above. Total of 1200m of intervals.

Lower Body workout.
    First real gym session in 3 weeks for a few reasons but hope to get some stability back into my routine over the next few weeks.

Upper body workout.

• Advertisement

4 X 40m with 20 sec recovery, rest 2 mins and repeat 3 times.
    Was able to cross the line first in the first 3 reps then started to slip back as my legs started to go and breathing was very laboured. Felt recovery was not enough for me.
    I was tired tonight, probably after doing two hard gym sessions over the weekend. I always over compensate by doing too much in the gym if I had a break, mistake.
    Will rest tomorrow as I have some relays(4X100m and 4X200m) to run on Wednesday evening.

Tonight I took part in some of the Trinty Relays on their 400m grass track.
    It was a fun night, treated it like a training session.
    I was put in a team of 3 DSD guys. 5 teams in total were racing.
    First up was a 4X100m which we won, I ran the last leg and got the glory :)
    Next up was a 4X400m about 10 minutes later which I took part in but was afraid to do so. Never raced this distance before and it was painful. I ran the 3rd leg and received the baton in 2nd place. My tactics were to try and hang onto the back of the leader which I did without losing too much ground.
    I held my position to pass to my team mate(48 second 400m runner) who took off like a rocket to cross the line first.
    So of course, my legs were lactic and I had nothing in me to run a 200m relay(which I declined) but I was happy with what I did tonight. A club mate timed me for 61 seconds so I might try a 400m in the Graded series over the summer to see if I could go under 60 seconds. Dont know how much slower running on grass would be but I guess maybe 2 seconds.

A club mate timed me for 61 seconds so I might try a 400m in the Graded series over the summer to see if I could go under 60 seconds. Dont know how much slower running on grass would be but I guess maybe 2 seconds.

Good stuff. Running on grass would be a good bit slower I would imagine. Have never tried it but you'd probably wouldn't be far off with that 2 second difference. However caution must be shown to rough relay hand times. 61 on a relay leg is probably 62-63 with a standing start. Be interesting to see how you get on in the Graded meets. Definetely give it a go. Even without the specific 400m speed endurance traning, you're strong 200m speed should be enough to get you under 60 I reckon. Although 400m doesn't suit some people. Only one way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Tonight I took part in some of the Trinty Relays on their 400m grass track.
    It was a fun night, treated it like a training session.
    I was put in a team of 3 DSD guys. 5 teams in total were racing.
    First up was a 4X100m which we won, I ran the last leg and got the glory :)
    Next up was a 4X400m about 10 minutes later which I took part in but was afraid to do so. Never raced this distance before and it was painful. I ran the 3rd leg and received the baton in 2nd place. My tactics were to try and hang onto the back of the leader which I did without losing too much ground.
    I held my position to pass to my team mate(48 second 400m runner) who took off like a rocket to cross the line first.
    So of course, my legs were lactic and I had nothing in me to run a 200m relay(which I declined) but I was happy with what I did tonight. A club mate timed me for 61 seconds so I might try a 400m in the Graded series over the summer to see if I could go under 60 seconds. Dont know how much slower running on grass would be but I guess maybe 2 seconds.

Nice going alright. I'm sure sub 60 is wthin reach without specific training. Are you doing the Powerade 100 at the weekend? What sort of time would you hope for - 12.2x ?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Nice going alright. I'm sure sub 60 is wthin reach without specific training. Are you doing the Powerade 100 at the weekend? What sort of time would you hope for - 12.2x ?

Yes I will race that on Sunday. It will be a good warmup race as the first Graded meet will be on the same track next Wednesday, which I hope to do.
    As regards a time, a low 12 would be acceptable :)

Upper body workout. Typical exercises were one arm shoulder press, tricep dips on the bars, cable machine to mimic arm action while running and bicep curls to compensate for tricep dips.

Didnt do much just a light jog on a treadmill with a few light squats while I was waiting for my daughters' session to finish.
    Saving myself for tomorrows race but plan to hit the gym after it if all is well.

12.23 in the 100m powerade challenge today. Good call Dna.
    Dont think I ran well today. It felt like I couldn't get the drive I usually get coming out of the blocks. The Morton track is softer under foot compared to Irishtown and it felt like I was not getting my full power down while trying to accelerate. This is the first time I ran in Santry so maybe its just a case of getting used to it. When I got upright, everything felt fine and I was quite relaxed coming up to the line.
    I was drawn in lane 8 also which didnt help and there was no one in lane 7 so I was out on my own. The two faster guys were in lane 3 and 4.
    My race was won in 11.88, 2nd came in at 12.12 and I was 3rd.
    12.23 is a pb by .25 seconds so that is a consolation. All I have to do is run another pb next Wednesday on the same track :)

12.23 is a pb by .25 seconds so that is a consolation. All I have to do is run another pb next Wednesday on the same track :)

Great running. Well done. Gains in the 100 are harder to come by than in the 200 and 400 so be patient. A quarter of a second PB is huge over 100m anyway.

What was the wind reading?

• Advertisement

Great running. Well done. Gains in the 100 are harder to come by than in the 200 and 400 so be patient. A quarter of a second PB is huge over 100m anyway.

What was the wind reading?

Thanks, as regards the wind reading forgot to check it but it felt quite still at the time of my race. I really didnt feel any wind in my face when I was running anyway so if there was any wind I guess it was behind me.
    That was my second 100m race so the more the better for experience.
    It was a fun event though, a mixture of men and women in races and your race was determined when you turned up to register. It was a good atmosphere, some people were jogging it out in 19 seconds so they could enter the draw for the London trip.
    My daughters got their picture taken with Derval so they were happy with that :)

Edit: come to think of it, don't think they were giving a wind reading at this. There was none up in Sligo either according to Dna Leri

Advertisement