Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

RandyMann wrote: »
    12.23 in the 100m powerade challenge today. Good call Dna.
    Dont think I ran well today. It felt like I couldn't get the drive I usually get coming out of the blocks. The Morton track is softer under foot compared to Irishtown and it felt like I was not getting my full power down while trying to accelerate. This is the first time I ran in Santry so maybe its just a case of getting used to it. When I got upright, everything felt fine and I was quite relaxed coming up to the line.
    I was drawn in lane 8 also which didnt help and there was no one in lane 7 so I was out on my own. The two faster guys were in lane 3 and 4.
    My race was won in 11.88, 2nd came in at 12.12 and I was 3rd.
    12.23 is a pb by .25 seconds so that is a consolation. All I have to do is run another pb next Wednesday on the same track :)

Well done, nice PB.

Isn't the Santry track a Mondo, which should be quicker when you get used to it.

What are your targets for the summer, now that you have a baseline, sub 12 for 100m? What about 200m ?

PS There was no wind guage at our Powerade event either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

dna_leri wrote: »
    Well done, nice PB.

Isn't the Santry track a Mondo, which should be quicker when you get used to it.

What are your targets for the summer, now that you have a baseline, sub 12 for 100m? What about 200m ?

PS There was no wind guage at our Powerade event either.

Thanks. Yes an 11.XX 100m is my target and a low 24 200m .
    Yes the track in Santry is a Mondo. There are different types of Mondo, soft to hard. This felt soft, it was noticed by another guy also who mentioned it to me.
    I prefer a hard track for sprinting/racing. The track is Santry would be feel very comfortable for doing intervals and middle distance on, which would be nice. The track in Irishtown is very uncomfortable/ hard on your legs for doing long stuff and training but racing for sprints, I would pick it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

How did the graded meet go?

04072511 wrote: »
    How did the graded meet go?

I did not do it as the weather was too bad that day.
    There was not much point doing a time trial with a 40kph wind behind me or in front of me.
    I figured, if it was behind me and I ran 11.5, that time would not have been accepted around here ;)

I did not do it as the weather was too bad that day.
    There was not much point doing a time trial with a 40kph wind behind me or in front of me.
    I figured, if it was behind me and I ran 11.5, that time would not have been accepted around here ;)

True, but it's not all about times. Times are massive of course, but race experience is another important thing. You haven't raced a lot. It could have done you good, regardless of the time.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

True, but it's not all about times. Times are massive of course, but race experience is another important thing. You haven't raced a lot. It could have done you good, regardless of the time.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Next up is a 200m on the 16th in Irishtown. I am focussing on that now.

Next up is a 200m on the 16th in Irishtown. I am focussing on that now.

I can completely emphatise with the frustration of getting crap winds for 100 and 200. It's rare that you will get that perfect light tailwind that we all desire. That's the good thing about 400s. Granted you'd love perfect conditions but if theres a strong wind it is less of an issue, as you spend as much time with it at your back as you do with it in your face. I ran my first sub 60 in very windy conditions. The 100m that day recorded negative winds of 7.9m/s. Very frustrating for 100/200 sprinters if you are chasing a time. But racing is important also.

What's the target for the 16th? Sub 25 I take it? When is your 400m debut?

I can completely emphatise with the frustration of getting crap winds for 100 and 200. It's rare that you will get that perfect light tailwind that we all desire. That's the good thing about 400s. Granted you'd love perfect conditions but if theres a strong wind it is less of an issue, as you spend as much time with it at your back as you do with it in your face. I ran my first sub 60 in very windy conditions. The 100m that day recorded negative winds of 7.9m/s. Very frustrating for 100/200 sprinters if you are chasing a time. But racing is important also.

What's the target for the 16th? Sub 25 I take it? When is your 400m debut?

Yes, I do agree, the more races for me the better as they are the key to improving.
    If it was a championship race, I would have definitely ran on the day as times would have been irrelevant.
    The target on the 16th will be to get close to 24.5 if all is right on the day. To record a sub 25 is a priority and I will be happy once its under 25 though. My 200 PB last August is 25.35
    I may consider doing a 400 the following Wednesday in Santry depending how I feel. I dont know if I really want to though without doing some 400 work beforehand :)

Have not been up to much in training for various reasons,no coach anymore, work and so on.
    Only did 2 track sessions in the past week and a half.
    Sessions were 150s with walk back recovery. Did them at near 100% effort the first time so I only managed 3.
    The session last Thursday was the same but I had a rest of about 4 mins between each one and I did 4 reps.
    Gym session today was lower body(legs and back).
    Tomorrow back to the track and try and get some focus.

Hurdles drills to start.
    Intervals-
    120m, 100m, 80m
    80m, 100m, 120m

Did these at near 100% effort with full recovery between each one, aprox 5 mins. Most of my intervals from now on will be at 100% with full recovery in order to improve on my raw speed which needs work.

• Advertisement

Upper body which included incline bench press(have not done this exercise in quite a while but managed to get up to 70kg)
    Followed by 3 sets/12 reps of dips and then 3 sets of bicep curls to compliment the dips.
    Finished off with some shoulder work.
    Didnt want to overdo it as I have track tonight.

Interval session was 150m 120m 100m.
    These were done at 100%, especially the first 150m as I was fading in the 120m and 100m
    Hand times were 18sec flat, 14.5sec and 12.3sec

I had full recovery between each which enabled me to give it my all.
    Wont be doing much more running before next Wednesday, but have a gym session tomorrow and will do a 2k-3k jog over the weekend.

Upper+lower body. New programs done with strength coach today. Tough session as I am tired from last night.
    Lower body consisted of dead lifts, split squats with bar bell and glute ham raises.
    Upper body consisted of seated shoulder press, chin ups, D/bell bench press and single arm bent over row.

Wasn't planning to do anything over the weekend but decided to go down to the track as some of the sprint group were meeting up.
    My back has been giving me big problems since the gym session on Friday. This is probably due to the fact that I have not done dead lifts in a while and the new exercise-glute ham raises really stressed it.
    It is a muscle problem rather than a spinal problem. I could hardly straighten up on Friday night and was in a lot of pain yesterday.
    This morning there was some improvement so I thought I would try and loosen it up down the track. I had a long warm up then did some drills with hurdles also. Did some strides, gradually upping the intensity until it felt ok.
    Session was block work on the bend, 3 X 30m then 3 X 60m with 4 min recovery. Happy enough with session and was moving well at the end.
    Rest now till Wednesday with the exception of some reaction/block work on Tuesday evening.

Just some block work tonight.

Won the C race in 24.84 I was happy with that as my goal was to break 25secs.
    As regards the race and tactics, I was conservative in the bend, I just tried to keep up with the front guys but coming out of the bend I put full power down and kept the lead. I think I was ahead by 1.5secs to the second guy(he ran a low 26 I think) but the results are not up yet.
    In retrospect, I think I will run the bend harder in the next race as I think I could have gained a couple of more tenths tonight.

Won the C race in 24.84 I was happy with that as my goal was to break 25secs.
    As regards the race and tactics, I was conservative in the bend, I just tried to keep up with the front guys but coming out of the bend I put full power down and kept the lead. I think I was ahead by 1.5secs to the second guy(he ran a low 26 I think) but the results are not up yet.
    In retrospect, I think I will run the bend harder in the next race as I think I could have gained a couple of more tenths tonight.

Great run there, well done.

Great running, nice early season time, no limits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Yeah, deffo an impressive time. Bodes well for the Summer!

Got my first red card today :(
    AAI Games, 100m, moved in my blocks before the gun. It seemed like an eternity from set position waiting for the gun, twitched my back foot and set off the sensor. Bit embarassing to be honest.
    I felt like I was really on form today for a good time but it was not to be, so a waste of a day.
    Will turn up on Wednesday for the next Dublin Graded and try and redeem myself.
    The first race was won in 10.66 by David Hynes, great running, negative wind today also.

Edit- just realised that there is no 100m on Wednesday, so scratch that idea

• Advertisement

6 X 60m at 100% off blocks. 4 min recovery aprox.

Felt good doing these but tripped over on the 3rd rep as I was putting the brakes on just past the 60 mark. My lane was congested from other side with hurdles. Skinned my two knees, elbow and hip.

6 X 60m at 100% off blocks. 4 min recovery aprox.

Felt good doing these but tripped over on the 3rd rep as I was putting the brakes on just past the 60 mark. My lane was congested from other side with hurdles. Skinned my two knees, elbow and hip.

Ouch. That happened to me last year in my very first race of the season. Badly skinned both knees and was in agony for about 10 days after. Keep those wounds covered.

Bad luck with the false start. Hasn’t happened to me yet. In fact in only 2 of my many races last season did a competitor of mine false start, one of which was the decathlon 100m so that didn’t even result in a DQ, so it is very rare contrary to what the media would have us think after Usain Bolt’s false start. Not sure if we have the highly sensitive blocks though that ring off with any sort of movement.

I don’t like seeing people false started due to involuntary twitches, but regardless you wont make the same mistake again.

3k jog on treadmill. Tired doing this. Lower legs were sore also from the pounding I gave them last night.

Upper body workout which consisted of seated DB shoulder press, close grip chinups, DB bench press and bent over row.
    Found this session very tough(new program) as it was my first time doing it.

Hope to get another gym session done in the morning, then track tomorrow evening as it looks like I wont be able to train over the weekend.

This morning was lower body workout which included dead lifts, FFE split legged squats with barbell and back extensions with a 10kg plate.
    The back extensions were meant to be glute ham raises but they dont have the proper equipment for that exercise in my local gym(which is a small problem)
    Track hopefully this evening.

Did some the usual warmups and hurdle drills.

Was going to attempt a session of 3 X 150s but only did the 1 rep. There was nothing in my legs from this morning so decided to call it a night. I would not have got any training benefit from squeezing out another 2 reps that would be a second off my usual pace.

Wasn't feeling up for it tonight after 2 nights celebrating my 40th over the weekend.
    The session planned was 3 sets of split 200s(150+50) with 45 secs recovery and then 10 mins between sets.
    Managed 2 sets and then just did a 50m at the end to finish. 450m in total at 100%
    Might do a light gym session tomorrow but have to be careful to not overdo it as I have the Leinsters on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Seen ya doin a few of your reps tonight. You seemed to be goin very well and your running form looked very good!

Thanks, it was hot out there tonight too, you guys looked fairly cooked.
    You were looking strong yourself, from what I saw you were leading the group. Nice 70sec 400m to start too :)

Wasn't feeling up for it tonight after 2 nights celebrating my 40th over the weekend.
    The session planned was 3 sets of split 200s(150+50) with 45 secs recovery and then 10 mins between sets.
    Managed 2 sets and then just did a 50m at the end to finish. 450m in total at 100%
    Might do a light gym session tomorrow but have to be careful to not overdo it as I have the Leinsters on Sunday.

Happy birthday - great to move up the age categories.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    Happy birthday - great to move up the age categories.

The magic 4 0?

Advertisement