Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Thanks, yes will be in the 40+ category on Sundays race :)
    My mates (who are mostly younger than me) said I must be the only man in Ireland looking forward to reaching 40!

Didn't overdo it tonight as I am trying to taper. Felt sharp though compared to Tuesdays session. Looking forward to getting a full weeks training in with gym work next week. I have laid off the weights to stay fresh for Sunday.

120m at 100% with a 3 point start.
    2 X 30m block start.
    2 X 60m block start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

RandyMann wrote: »
    . I have laid off the weights to stay fresh for Sunday.

Is it Leinster's on Sunday, what events have you planned?

dna_leri wrote: »
    . I have laid off the weights to stay fresh for Sunday.

Is it Leinster's on Sunday, what events have you planned?

Yes, Leinster's in Tullamore. I will do the 200 and the 100. The 200 is up first so hopefully there will be a couple of hours gap so I can recover for the 100.

Won the 200m and the 100m today in the Leinsters, M2(40) category.
    Happy with the wins.
    The times were very slow because of the wind/rain but a win is a win.
    Not very enjoyable out there today with the weather. The 200m was first (won it comfortably) then there was a 90 minute wait for the 100m. By the time I was called for the 100m, I was cold and wet despite trying to keep warm. I was not feeling good about it but I won my category despite being nearly caught by the guy in 2nd who had a great finish.
    There is a Graded meet(100m which I would like to run) on Wednesday in Irishtown on hometurf so I will see if I can recover to run that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Happy with the wins.
    Not very enjoyable out there today with the weather. The 200m was first (won it comfortably) then there was a 90 minute wait for the 100m. By the time I was called for the 100m, I was cold and wet despite trying to keep warm. I was not feeling good about it but I won my category despite being nearly caught by the guy in 2nd who had a great finish.
    There is a Graded meet(100m which I would like to run) on Wednesday in Irishtown on hometurf so I will see if I can recover to run that.

Keeping the times a secret? ;)

Well done on the win.

Happy with the wins.
    Great going well done, it's all about winning :-D

04072511 wrote: »
    Keeping the times a secret? ;)

Well done on the win.

Thanks, the times I am not sure of as the glare of the gold obscured my vision ;)
    Seriously though but dont quote me, my 200 was 25.35 and the 100 was 12.69. The times were not posted when I left(I was told them), I just went in to collect my medals and made a quick exit. The results will be up on athleticsleinster.org but it will take a few days judging how long it took the indoors to be posted and also its the June bank holiday.
    My club mate who ran 23.6 last week ran 24.4 yesterday in the seniors so that may give an indication of how the weather affected the times.

First time I have done a hill run in maybe over a year.
    This session consisted of a 4km round trip of a jog, so the 2km jog to the hill was a good warmup for me.
    The hill is roughly 400m, which is a long driveway up to a local hotel. I was doing this with a mate of mine who is not a sprinter so I decided to do this just the once as fast as I could (he was repeating it 3 times but slower)
    I then measured out a 75m steady climb and I did this 3 times at 100% on my own with about a 4 minute recovery. Next time I try this I will just do the 75m stretch but more of them.
    The 2km jog back was laborious to say the least.

Went to the gym in morton stadium for this as they have an apparatus for doing glute ham raises.
    Session included deadlifts which I went up to from 100kg to 120kg and then to 140kg(4 reps of these) My 1 rep max at this before was 150kg but I reckon I could lift 160kg now, will soon find out.
    Raised Split legged Squats total 6 sets of 6 reps on each leg with 40kg on my shoulders(barbell)
    6 sets of 6 glute ham raises (tough)
    Track tomorrow hopefully if my back doesnt cease up

• Advertisement

Warm up with the usual hurdles which I found difficult as my hamstrings and hips were tight from last nights session.

Session was 3 split 200s again at 100%
    150m then recover for 40 seconds and then 50m both with 3 point starts.
    Recovery between sets was 8 mins.
    This session was really tough and had to really dig deep for the 50s and went lactic on the last set, felt sick too.
    Have no times for these as no one was available.

Warm up with the usual hurdles which I found difficult as my hamstrings and hips were tight from last nights session.

Session was 3 split 200s again at 100%
    150m then recover for 40 seconds and then 50m both with 3 point starts.
    Recovery between sets was 8 mins.
    This session was really tough and had to really dig deep for the 50s and went lactic on the last set, felt sick too.
    Have no times for these as no one was available.

What hurdle work do you do in warm up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like a tough session! What's a 3 point start?

Crouched start, one hand (and two legs) on the ground as you see in 4x100m relays.

three-point-start.jpg

See http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/starts.htm

May be some other useful information here for setting up blocks for your 400m race.

Some upper body work with seated shoulder press, chinups and bent over row.
    Was planning to do some track but didnt feel like getting wet and just wasnt in humour.
    Will hopefully get a track session in on Saturday instead.

As described above, I would recommend these when you are doing your short intervals as I find you can get a better start with them(with spikes) Also they will help with you with block starts.

Wasnt able to do a track session cause it was booked out for the day with the special olympics. Will have to head there tomorrow instead.

Did some upper body work in the gym instead

Total of 42 chinups, semi supinated grip for shoulders.
    Total of 42 flat bench dumbell(25kg) bench press, semi supinated grip again.
    Didnt have time for bent over row which i will do tomorrow after track.

800m jog, hurdle drills, sprint drills etc.

6 X 60m off blocks. 3-4 minute recovery.

Felt a bit sluggish today and the rain didnt help.

Recorded 36.2kph as a top speed on my garmin/speed graph.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189937482

Ran in the B race tonight with a pb of 24.64 secs.
    This is an improvement of .2secs from the Dublin Graded in Irishtown in May.
    Got a gold medal (masters) for my troubles as it was a championship race also.
    Happy with my performance tonight as it was touch and go if I was going to race. I had a bit of a cold and sore throat since Monday night so I'm glad I ran it now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thats some great runnin Randy! .2 seconds is a big chunk over the 200m. I was in no shape to head to Santry myself but would have given the 3000m a go. Will have to look out for some middle distnace races comin up.

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Thats some great runnin Randy! .2 seconds is a big chunk over the 200m. I was in no shape to head to Santry myself but would have given the 3000m a go. Will have to look out for some middle distnace races comin up.

Thanks Steve.
    When I saw you at the track on Tuesday, you looked in no humour at all to do a session so your trip to Poznan explains that one! :)
    Are you going to do the Beach Run tonight? I was asked to marshal it so might see you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thanks Steve.
    When I saw you at the track on Tuesday, you looked in no humour at all to do a session so your trip to Poznan explains that one! :)
    Are you going to do the Beach Run tonight? I was asked to marshal it so might see you there.

Yeah 3 days Poznan, 4 Gdansk, I was a wreck coming home :-) Not in the mood for that session at all, could have copped out and did an easy run but thats just delaying the inevitable!! I'll be training at 6 so might head down to help marshall aswell..

Today didnt go well after having a few drinks last night. I nearly puked after this session that I could not finish. Think I will have to become teetotal if I want to continue with this sprinting. I wonder is it worth it?

Wanted to do 3 split 200s(150+50) 40 seconds recovery and 4 mins between each set. This is my favorite workout, a good all rounder and I find it handy to do on my own.
    Only managed 2 of these and called it a day. I did the second 150 in 18 seconds, forgot to time the first 1 but it felt faster. Didnt try and time the 50s
    My speed graph for the 2nd 150m showed I was holding my speed well with little drop off.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192268872

2 X 200m at 25.5 secs each (4 min recovery, 3 point starts). Did these with one of the 400m lads, he was doing 3 of them.
    Would have done 3 but dont want to overdo it as I am racing Saturday evening.

3 X 50m off blocks, with 60 secs recovery.
    7 minute rest, then 3 X 30m off blocks, 60 secs recovery.
    Felt good/sharp tonight. Some shin pain though but this should go in a day or two hopefully.

100m 12.08 PB
    200m 24.89

The 100m was first at 4:20pm today. I ran in the B race and crossed the line in 6th. Happy with the pb and should run sub 12 in my next race if the weather is better. Got a great start and was in the top 3 up to about 40/50m but slipped back. Held off the 2 guys that were behind me to get over the line so at least I wasn't last. The race was won in 11:32
    12.08sec is a 0.15 sec improvement in the 100m since April.

The 200m was an hour later and I didnt feel up for this. I was doing strides beforehand and my legs were feeling very heavy. I knew I had put everything into the 100m so I wasnt expecting a pb with this one.
    When we were callled to the blocks, the rain came down quite heavy. I was drawn in lane 1 which didn't help also. Going around the bend felt quite slow and my legs were not doing the business for me. Out of the bend, I overtook the guy in lane 2(headwind was quite strong at this point) but I didnt improve to cross the line in 7th place.

Overall happy with the day, a small bit disappointed with the 200 but to get a pb in two races may be asking a bit much in retrospect.

Results are up here - http://irishmilersclub.com/

3 X 30m block starts on bend
    3 X 50m block starts on straight

Wasnt feeling up for anything today, been tired all week and hayfever getting me down.
    After warming up, I felt in humour to do the session as a good few of the lads turned up for a session.
    Did enough but didnt overdo it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just seen your results from last week. Cracking stuff in the 100m. Congrats.

• Advertisement

200m PB 24.08secs

Very happy with the above as it was a legal wind of 1.8m also. This is a 0.56sec improvement on my 200m pb from 2 weeks ago.
    I was called for the first heat and I was drawn in lane 5. Wasnt too nervous for this one as I knew I was way out of my league with the top sprinters in the country so I was just chasing a PB.
    When we were called for marks/set we were told to stand up which wasnt nice as the gun was faulty with no fire.
    Second attempt, I got out of the blocks really well and drove for about 30m. When my head came up, the guy in lane 6 was already pulling away and at about 3/4 way into the bend the guy in lane 4 sailed by me!
    Exiting the bend I was clearly last but that didnt bother me and I focussed on staying relaxed and to not overstride. Felt my legs start to weaken with about 30m but finished strong with what felt like a high turnover.
    Last Saturday at the IMC meet where I ran the 200m, a fellow club coach who coaches the juveniles came over to give me with some advice after watching my 200. He said that coming down the straight, I was overstriding and I was pumping my arms too high(I do this when I am getting tired). He said to move my hands no higher than eye level and this will stop the overstriding. He said that this could take 0.5secs off my 200m
    I think I owe this guy a pint ! :)

Advertisement