Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to change broadband exchanges?

• 28-08-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

the idiots at eircom put me on an exchange in loughrea which is 13 km from my house. i've found a different exchange at gurteen, co. galway thats less than 2km from me. is it possible to switch exchanges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Buy a new house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elazar55

clearz wrote: »
    Buy a new house :D

surely they can rewire a few things. no? then could anyone recommend a good wireless company just outside of athenry for me? lighthouse networks is WAY to expensive. something with the price along the lines of imagine wimax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Runs Cold wrote: »
    no

Informative.

You can. I did. It's just not that easy. I had to cancel my line and resign up on condition that they put me on the closer exchange. The engineer took about 10 mins to do it and I was broadband enabled (my old exchange was enabled). It's weird cause everyone else on my estate can't get broadband as they are on the exchange furthest away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's technically possible in some areas if there are "tie lines" between cabinets.

It's extremely unlikely to be available to you, or to persuade eircom to do it unless they actually have run out of capacity on the exchange you are on. Eircom don't have capacity issues anymore and less need for "pair gains" because so many people have cancelled phone lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

13km from the exchange the service must be crap is it im suprised it even works at that distance..
    if the other exchanges arnt enabled which they may not be thats probably why you are connected to one so far away.
    im sure its possible to get connected to another one that is closer and that is also enabled but you will have to keep at eircom for this to happen they tend to not like doing stuff like this :rolleyes:

Advertisement