Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats interesting/ unique about your life?

• 28-08-2010 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Whats interesting/ unique about your life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

sweet fúck all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I like cheese.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

That's a big question and some aspects I can't say on a public forum.
    I can mention that I have travelled a lot and seen many places that the average traveller might have not been able to gain access to or seen sights that they would have missed.
    (Some I'm trying to forget, some horrors are not easily forgotten)

I've met extreme rich and extreme poor and it all helps to appreciate whats really important in life for me.

I know I've probably saved a few lives in my time and still hope to do so.

I know I should be well dead by now for the scythe man has come a visiting once or twice to say the least.
    I've had my fair share of incidents that somehow I've managed to walk away from - don't ask me how sometimes. Not skill, just sheer ruddy luck.

In all, I consider myself very lucky and so far I continue to lead a very unique life.

C'est la vie.

Biggins wrote: »
    I can mention that I have travelled a lot and seen many places that the average traveller might have not been able to gain access to or seen sights that they would have missed.

I've met extreme rich and extreme poor and it all helps to appreciate whats really important in life for me.

I know I should be well dead by now for the scythe man has come a visiting once or twice to say the least.
    I've had my fair share of incidents that somehow I've managed to walk away from - don't ask me how sometimes. Not skill, just sheer ruddy luck.

In all, I consider myself very lucky and so far I continue to lead a very unique life.

C'est la vie.

And all that happened to Biggins in just 3 weeks in "I'm a Celebrity, Get me Out of Here". :D

And all that happened to Biggins in just 3 weeks in "I'm a Celebrity, Get me Out of Here". :D
    Aye, being trapped under Jordan was nearly the ruddy death of me!
    Nearly smothered to death when she tripped and her plastic parts landed in my face on the ground! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I like to recite the Chinese national anthem, while wearing women's underwear and standing on my head at the same time.

Other than that nothing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I dig love.

And I love dig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

I ate a sachet of cat food for a €200 bet.

Well who wouldn't ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have tried stand up comedy.

I saw the mountain gorilla, chimp and bonobo in the wild ( have a friend who says he saw bigfoot) hope to see the old man of the forest in the wild before their extinct.

Slept alone in the cascade mountains.

I consider my life a case of progressive resistance ( getting gradually more experienced by throwing myself into more difficult situations ).

I am going back to college to study psychology.

I dont see myself incapable of anything (its not arrogance but i figured out long ago you get no where by thinking youll get no where).

Had tough early experiences that gave me confidence to know that nothing i will face will match them experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

C'est la vie.

So basically you've done alot but can't divulge any of it on here?

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    So basically you've done alot but can't divulge any of it on here?
    Some of it is work stuff and some is personal stuff that involves others so I must respect their fellow privacy. :)

I have had the deepest honour of standing with my father at the top of the mountains between Spain and France during a trip to Lourdes.
    The awe inspiring sight of a snow mountain scene for miles and miles around is something that I will take to my grave as one of the most moving things I've ever witnessed and so to experience it with my father beside me, again, was truly an honour and a blessing.
    I'm a very, very lucky person and not a day goes by that I don't consider myself so.

Some of it is work stuff and some is personal stuff that involves others so I must respect their fellow privacy. :)

I have had the deepest honour of standing with my father at the top of the mountains between Spain and France during a trip to Lourdes.
    The awe inspiring sight of snow mountain scene for miles around is something that I will take to my grave as one of the most moving things I've ever witnessed and so to experience it with my father beside me, again, was truly an honour and a blessing.
    I'm a very, very lucky person and not a day goes by that I don't consider myself so.

fair play to you biggins sounds impressive, was it the Pyrenees you were in?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

I just saw jupiter along with 4 of its moons through my mates telescope with enough detail to actually be able to make out a couple of the bands that make up the planets surface.

I'm not the first or the last person to do this but it totally made my jaw drop. Awe inspiring.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    fair play to you biggins sounds impressive, was it the Pyrenees you were in?
    Yes.
    Part way up one of the mountains was a shack that was inner lined with glass display cases.
    In the glass cases was the heads of bodies (of people) that had died on the mountains over many, many years.
    Eerie to see and you could have heard a pin drop as we looked around but it sort of, in its own way helped reinforce the notion that at the end of the day, we are all at the whim to the forces of mother nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

C'est la vie.

And you've posted 13628 times in two and a half years

And you've posted 13628 times in two and a half years
    Yes, I'm in a role now that after many years of work, is allowing me to take a step back from the outdoor stuff I used to do.
    I'm an indoor person more so now, be it office and/or home. Age and time catches up with you. :o

Yes.
    Part way up one of the mountains was a shack that was inner lined with glass display cases.
    In the glass cases was the heads of bodies (of people) that had died on the mountains over many, many years.
    Eerie to see and you could have heard a pin drop as we looked around but it sort of, in its own way helped reinforce the notion that at the end of the day, we are all at the whim to the forces of mother nature.

You reminded me of the many explorers grave yards near the amazon, cascades, congo and all the rest. Most of them had no body to bury only hats and other relicts. One expidition involved twenty men who went into the amazon and four came out. Powerful stuff.

C'est la vie.

*sigh* And the suspense continues. What does Biggins do for a living?

You didn't happen to star in any Superman films by any chance, and got confused with the fiction/reality concept?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships off the Shoulder of Orion etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I don't know really but to think of some things I would say:

I've been through a lot more than anyone my age that I know has,some devastating,some happy.
    I've made it through a lot of losses,which I think makes me who I am now.
    I know things about my townland which only a handful of other people know and I worry that it may be forgotten.
    I've been to many places and have some really vivid memories of them.
    I had the best childhood I could wish for,travelling around the country and central Europe,I learned so much.
    In my eyes and many others my father was a genius and I will always keep his little creations to pass down through the family.(I suppose I think this one makes me unique more than the others because I am one of the only people who has his creations and blueprints.)

Well,those mightn't seem like very good or significant points I suppose but they are to me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think starbelgrade and Biggins are antitheses. That's what's interesting about my life.

I think starbelgrade and Biggins are antitheses. That's what's interesting about my life.

I would tend to disagree on both points. I think that idealogically, Biggins & I would generally share a common ground - perhaps the antitheses comes about due to how we express / encompass these ideals.

And secondly, there is defintely more things interesting about your life than the comparison between me & Big Boy. Your posts on the relative merits on cooking methods of spuds pays testament to that. And I am sure that there is a lot more than meets the eye than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I have a photographic memory that caused me untold amounts of trouble as a child/teenager. It really is only recently that i have begun to appreciate it as a gift rather then a god awful curse. I also have 2 children who have really shown me and thought me what unconditional love is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I'm a notorious clever ****er basically - too clever for my own good half the time but saying that I just got 460 in the leaving with sweet **** all work at all - has come in handy in one way I suppose but the biggest problem is then that I'm always right which pisses other people off constantly :pac::pac:

like who else knows what the capital of Kyrgyzstan is of the top of their heads :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I live on an island with 5 months of hot weather and about 4-5 of spring time weather.

I only work 21 hours a week.

My employers pay for my apartment and my flights to and from Ireland.

I get to go to the beach most days before work.

I'm going to give it up to come back home next March.

It's not very unique I suppose as there are a few Irish people here with me, though they tend to work quite a few more hours than me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My life is very uninteresting. I should probably do something about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

bald fat 40.oh wrong forum.back to the brothers for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I am made from the dust of the stars......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

My paternal grandfather couldn't read, but he was able to raise nine kids on a farm in rural Mississippi during the worst of the Jim Crow years.

My father started working when he was 9 years old, moved up north when he finished secondary school, and spent 30 years in a steel mill so my brothers and I could get the best possible education. When he retired, he had worked so much overtime that technically he had spent 36 years on the clock.

Today I have a degree from one of the world's best universities, and I basically get paid to travel the world and research what interests me. When I graduated, my father cried and said it was the proudest moment of his life.

I know my life is unique in that the statistical likelihood of someone from a working-class family on the south side of Chicago ending up where I am today is incredibly small, but it is a total testament to my parents, and especially my dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have never lost a table quiz, and I've been in a lot of them.

... and that's all I've got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

phasers wrote: »

if thats true, its fairly spectacular...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I'm a notorious clever ****er basically - too clever for my own good half the time but saying that I just got 460 in the leaving with sweet **** all work at all - has come in handy in one way I suppose but the biggest problem is then that I'm always right which pisses other people off constantly :pac::pac:

like who else knows what the capital of Kyrgyzstan is of the top of their heads :o:o

Don't forget humbleness. Sounds more like you can remember ****, rather than being clever. For example, I know that 1 Billion seconds is equal to 36 years, 3 months, 1 week and a day. Approx. Doesn't make me clever. (I am though :pac:)
    cloneslad wrote: »
    I live on an island with 5 months of hot weather and about 4-5 of spring time weather.

I only work 21 hours a week.

My employers pay for my apartment and my flights to and from Ireland.

I get to go to the beach most days before work.

I'm going to give it up to come back home next March.

It's not very unique I suppose as there are a few Irish people here with me, though they tend to work quite a few more hours than me :p

You're leaving what sounds like paradise to return to Clones? Something else unique about you. You make foolish decisions. :P

Let me see, whats unique about me?

I have a condition that affects 1 in 50,000 live births. A ratio of 2:1 Male to female.

I'm special. Reasonably special. Maths puts it at 120 cases in Ireland, but in reality, there's closer to 200. I was one of the first success operations in Ireland to correct the condition, I was 16, the operation is now done at about 2 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

phasers wrote: »

You've never come up against me in a table quiz though phasers;)

On topic

I put much more effort into any voluntary work I do than any paid job I've ever had. Which is probably why I'll never be rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Few years back I experienced the through power of chemistry...one could say 'the mind altering sort'! I was working late in the lab one night when suddenly white light engulfed the whole room and I found myself not where I was previously standing. I was awoken by a Korean bloke, he was speaking but I could not hear a damn thing only this 'ringing sound'. He kept pointing at my arm, took a while for me to realise that there was a shard of glass about 7 inches long protruding from my arm. Instinctively, I pulled it out and with it came the copious amounts of blood. Lights out again, woke up in hospital....etc

That was my enlightenment...lucky enough to have my two eyes...been working in laboratory research ever since with a true respect for the unknown.
    My 2cents

I've had the pleasure of walking in the footsteps of Alf Wright (look him up, you will know him by another name) and seen some of the beautiful land he loved daily and worked on.
    A man by all accounts it would have been a pleasure and honour to meet.
    (read two autobiographies of him, his sons and a friend of his version)

I've lived and visited the areas where they make "Last of the Summer Wine" (After 37 years, the last episode is on tomorrow night).

I've been on the set of Coronation Street as well as where they made the ITV series "Sherlock Holmes".

I've had chats, drinks and become with friends with cast from shows like Buffy, Angel, Firefly/Serenity, Star Wars, Star Trek, the Terminator films, Leverage, to name a few. The wife and I have even swapped baby tips with some female stars.

Many, many years ago, I was scared schiteless by being at the top (with my father who brought me up) of a massive chimney stack in Platin cement factory in Co Louth. The height alone scared the crap out of me, never mind the swaying of the stack.

I've met the most brainiest sods in the country and some of the most stupid - and ironically, some of the most stupid ones were in higher places of authority.

I've jumped out of perfectly good working planes. Nuts!

I once caught a rare African variant of a bone infection (Osteomyelitis) that meant I spent a total of nine months between 2 hospitals and then after that ended up being packed off to Lourdes, France - where part of that trip was up the previous said mountains.

Been hit by a motorbike (and sent flying over a hedge), been in a car crash, plane crash, bus accident, blown off my feet by the outgoing air shock-blast of the Manchester bomb many years ago.

I've met people that have never seen in their long lives, a cow/sheep/goat, etc (living in huge cities) or never seen an ocean in real life or walked on a beach getting sand between their toes (middle America). That to me is mad but they just accept it.

Been married twice and now have four very good behaved children. Yes, I'm blessed, lucky and even if there is a "god" - I'm damn grateful to him/her/it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I've thrown a hand grenade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Come on Biggins you already had your turn,you're making us all look bad now.:pac:

storm2811 wrote: »
    Come on Biggins you already had your turn,you're making us all look bad now.:pac:
    Naa, just been around the block a bit more with age.
    Ye all will get there - but don't rush it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jaysus, no doubt about it: a noble spirit emBiggins the smallest man! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 uwala

Showing off again Biggins, eh? Tell me did you go to Lourdes on a religious pilgrimage to "cure" yourself?

btw, whatever you've done, I've done it all, and more. There, beat that.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Jaysus, no doubt about it: a noble spirit emBiggins the smallest man! :pac:
    Spirit?
    Not dead yet - I still have more annoying of the suffering wife to do! :D
    uwala wrote: »
    Showing off again Biggins, eh? Tell me did you go to Lourdes on a religious pilgrimage to "cure" yourself?

btw, whatever you've done, I've done it all, and more. There, beat that.

I hope you do or have, and I hope you have had a ball while doing it. :)

A pub that my father used to drink in most of his life, its customers joined together with the owner (the bar was known then as "Josie Flannigans" - oldies from the Louth region might recognise the name) and donated money to send the dad and myself to Lourdes.
    Something must have worked - I'm still around to pester the wife and kids! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I like Lamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Don't forget humbleness. Sounds more like you can remember ****, rather than being clever. For example, I know that 1 Billion seconds is equal to 36 years, 3 months, 1 week and a day. Approx. Doesn't make me clever. (I am though :pac:)

I amn't very humble no am I :P :P - but Back in primary school doing the drumcondra and sigma T tests and all those yoke I got in the 99 percentile every single time in every single one and we did them every year so :cool:

laziness is the bane of my life - but just having a middlen clever mind lets say and being damn good at remembering a hell of a lot is what makes me special in my own little way :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Sounds more like you can remember ****, rather than being clever. For example, I know that 1 Billion seconds is equal to 36 years, 3 months, 1 week and a day. Approx. Doesn't make me clever. (I am though :pac:)

Actually its 31 years 251 days approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I live in a pineapple under the sea.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I amn't very humble no am I :P :P - but Back in primary school doing the drumcondra and sigma T tests and all those yoke I got in the 99 percentile every single time in every single one and we did them every year so :cool:

laziness is the bane of my life - but just having a middlen clever mind lets say and being damn good at remembering a hell of a lot is what makes me special in my own little way :):):)

then maybe its not laziness, it could be lack of challenge? There would be no point in getting motivated about something you already mastered.

Devil08 wrote: »
    I like Lamp
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

you havnt seen the film I guess...

Devil08 wrote: »
    you havnt seen the film I guess...
    So its a film - no, to my shame I've not seen it. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No shame necessary Biggins, Anchorman is crap anyway