Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats interesting/ unique about your life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

phasers wrote: »
    No shame necessary Biggins, Anchorman is crap anyway

Its about as intellictual as this thread....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

phasers wrote: »
    ...Anchorman is crap anyway
    LoL Cheers.
    With a name of a character like that, it sounds like an Oscar winner. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Biggins wrote: »
    I've had the pleasure of walking in the footsteps of Alf Wright (look him up, you will know him by another name) and seen some of the beautiful land he loved daily and worked on.
    A man by all accounts it would have been a pleasure and honour to meet.
    (read two autobiographies of him, his sons and a friend of his version)

I've lived and visited the areas where they make "Last of the Summer Wine" (After 37 years, the last episode is on tomorrow night).

I've been on the set of Coronation Street as well as where they made the ITV series "Sherlock Holmes".

I've had chats, drinks and become with friends with cast from shows like Buffy, Angel, Firefly/Serenity, Star Wars, Star Trek, the Terminator films, Leverage, to name a few. The wife and I have even swapped baby tips with some female stars.

Many, many years ago, I was scared schiteless by being at the top (with my father who brought me up) of a massive chimney stack in Platin cement factory in Co Louth. The height alone scared the crap out of me, never mind the swaying of the stack.

I've met the most brainiest sods in the country and some of the most stupid - and ironically, some of the most stupid ones were in higher places of authority.

I've jumped out of perfectly good working planes. Nuts!

I once caught a rare African variant of a bone infection (Osteomyelitis) that meant I spent a total of nine months between 2 hospitals and then after that ended up being packed off to Lourdes, France - where part of that trip was up the previous said mountains.

Been hit by a motorbike (and sent flying over a hedge), been in a car crash, plane crash, bus accident, blown off my feet by the outgoing air shock-blast of the Manchester bomb many years ago.

I've met people that have never seen in their long lives, a cow/sheep/goat, etc (living in huge cities) or never seen an ocean in real life or walked on a beach getting sand between their toes (middle America). That to me is mad but they just accept it.

Been married twice and now have four very good behaved children. Yes, I'm blessed, lucky and even if there is a "god" - I'm damn grateful to him/her/it.
    Did you say your name was Walter Mitty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

LoL Cheers.
    With a name of a character like that, it sounds like an Oscar winner. :pac:

No no,no ones called lamp.:pac:
    You have to see it I suppose,or just do a youtube search.

Aidric wrote: »
    Did you say your name was Walter Mitty?
    I've been 100% honest. You don't have to insinuate that I'm lying - I'm not.
    If there is a problem with stuff that I've been lucky to do or been around - get off the boards and go do some of it too!

You will enjoy it too I hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I'm actually dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I CAN COUNT TO POTATO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Oi !!!! Biggins is the RL Hannibal Smith you know !!!! :pac:

Oi !!!! Biggins is the RL Hannibal Smith you know !!!! :pac:
    I love a good steak. :cool:
    A nice piece of meat medium done, covered with chasure sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

I guess I have a unique perspective on life. I live it just like everyone else, but with a daily realisation that I am a spectator in civilizations' final chapter. It makes me care less about what most people consider to be 'important'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

+1000000000000000000000000000 points to Biggins for even mentioning Alf Wight. I grew up on his books and the TV show, I adore them to this day and if I ever randomly decided to have kids, I'd read him to them. They taught me so much about.. just.. goodness, and beauty, and respect in general. Lovely author he is. Wish I could've met him.

liah wrote: »
    +1000000000000000000000000000 points to Biggins for even mentioning Alf Wight. I grew up on his books and the TV show, I adore them to this day and if I ever randomly decided to have kids, I'd read him to them. They taught me so much about.. just.. goodness, and beauty, and respect in general. Lovely author he is. Wish I could've met him.
    I have read his books so many times - besides the seven original novels he wrote, his books that he put together for children which I found on ebay.
    Such a pleasure to read and keep.

By all accounts of those that knew him, he was indeed a very humble person and much loved.
    His works will be read for generations to come and be a historic record in their own way of a lifestyle now in the past.
    I too would have loved to meet the man himself. One can keep their kings, queens and megastars, it would have been a higher honour for me, just to shake his hand and say "hello".

Liah: I have videos and photographic scenery books about the man, where he lived, Thirsk etc, and his life.
    It makes one humble and appreciative of how our current lifestyles are oft times much easier and we not know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I was in the original Woolpack(pub in Emmerdale).
    I've been in every county in Ireland.

That's all I got.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

baz2009 wrote: »
    I was in the original Woolpack(pub in Emmerdale).
    I've been in every county in Ireland.

That's all I got.:pac:

Including Northern Ireland? Or is that even Ireland? Now theres another days debate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'm Unique... thres only one of me :D

Interesting how boardy people think there so complex :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Devil08 wrote: »
    Including Northern Ireland? Or is that even Ireland? Now theres another days debate...

Yes, including the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm a dote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I refuse to drink alcohol just to be different :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

liah wrote: »

Why could biggins not just say 'James Herriot' instead of misspelling his name and telling us to look him up? :confused:

Why could biggins not just say 'James Herriot' instead of misspelling his name and telling us to look him up? :confused:
    'Cos the man deserves to be recognised with his real name and with his real life - credit which is due to him.
    Sorry about any misspelling though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Not unique but i have an eidetic memory. Photographic memory in other terms. I also have color synesthesia. I see words and numbers in colors. Everyone in my family has that for some reason. I thought everyone was like that until i was like 16 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

cloneslad wrote: »
    I live on an island with 5 months of hot weather and about 4-5 of spring time weather.

I only work 21 hours a week.

My employers pay for my apartment and my flights to and from Ireland.

I get to go to the beach most days before work.

I'm going to give it up to come back home next March.

It's not very unique I suppose as there are a few Irish people here with me, though they tend to work quite a few more hours than me :p

Snap!!

I live in the middle east where we get 12 months of hot weather 6 months very much so.

I work 65 - 70 hours a week.

My employers pay for flights to and from Ireland (don't be taking advantage though!).

Beach!! Are you mad? I'd burn alive.

I'm planning to do it for the next 3 - 4 years!! :D

Plenty of irish and they keep on coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I also have color synesthesia. I see words and numbers in colors. Everyone in my family has that for some reason. I thought everyone was like that until i was like 16 or something.

I always thought everyone did to some extent, but I understand that it is far more extreme in some people.

Do you see sounds as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

I have two penises (peni?) and I'm quite popular with the ladies. Well, popular with certain types of ladies. ;)

I also find Biggins wonderfully fascinating and incredibly boring at the same time. Is that even possible? It is for the man with two dicks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

demonspawn wrote: »

I also find Biggins wonderfully fascinating and incredibly boring at the same time. Is that even possible? It is for the man with two dicks!

He's the kind of guy that only people who are like him would find interesting.

The rest of us see him as the boring know-it-all guy down the pub that no one wants to talk to because he'll start off with his stories again.

We get it. You went places. Whoop-dee-****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

it would have been a higher honour for me, just to shake his hand and say "hello"..

Rather you than me. It's probably just been up a cow's arse.

Rather you than me. It's probably just been up a cow's arse.
    :pac:

True.
    He's the kind of guy that only people who are like him would find interesting.

The rest of us see him as the boring know-it-all guy down the pub that no one wants to talk to because he'll start off with his stories again.

We get it. You went places. Whoop-dee-****.

1, So your speaking for everyone are you? O' and you will have a hard time finding me in a pub!
    2, If an OP ponders a question - you might not have to like some replies but there's no call to be insulting!
    3, Start your own alternative subject thread or better still, get over yourself, get out there, live life and seek your own experiences!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

get over yourself

You did not just say that. Oh wait, yes you did. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Not unique but i have an eidetic memory. Photographic memory in other terms. I also have color synesthesia. I see words and numbers in colors. Everyone in my family has that for some reason. I thought everyone was like that until i was like 16 or something.

Wow,that's amazing,must be kind of annoying though or would you be used to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

I've had the pleasure of walking in the footsteps of Alf Wright (look him up, you will know him by another name) and seen some of the beautiful land he loved daily and worked on.
    A man by all accounts it would have been a pleasure and honour to meet.
    (read two autobiographies of him, his sons and a friend of his version)

I've lived and visited the areas where they make "Last of the Summer Wine" (After 37 years, the last episode is on tomorrow night).

I've been on the set of Coronation Street as well as where they made the ITV series "Sherlock Holmes".

I've had chats, drinks and become with friends with cast from shows like Buffy, Angel, Firefly/Serenity, Star Wars, Star Trek, the Terminator films, Leverage, to name a few. The wife and I have even swapped baby tips with some female stars.

Many, many years ago, I was scared schiteless by being at the top (with my father who brought me up) of a massive chimney stack in Platin cement factory in Co Louth. The height alone scared the crap out of me, never mind the swaying of the stack.

I've met the most brainiest sods in the country and some of the most stupid - and ironically, some of the most stupid ones were in higher places of authority.

I've jumped out of perfectly good working planes. Nuts!

I once caught a rare African variant of a bone infection (Osteomyelitis) that meant I spent a total of nine months between 2 hospitals and then after that ended up being packed off to Lourdes, France - where part of that trip was up the previous said mountains.

Been hit by a motorbike (and sent flying over a hedge), been in a car crash, plane crash, bus accident, blown off my feet by the outgoing air shock-blast of the Manchester bomb many years ago.

I've met people that have never seen in their long lives, a cow/sheep/goat, etc (living in huge cities) or never seen an ocean in real life or walked on a beach getting sand between their toes (middle America). That to me is mad but they just accept it.

Been married twice and now have four very good behaved children. Yes, I'm blessed, lucky and even if there is a "god" - I'm damn grateful to him/her/it.
    Also you are unique in that you have posted multiple times about your uniqueness.;)

• Advertisement

Also you are unique in that you have posted multiple times about your uniqueness.;)
    No.
    I'm far from unique - just another person.
    I lucky to have had some interesting experiences however.
    We all will have our own experiences - they come with time and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

I have low latent inhibition,

Basically - when a normal person sees a lamp, they just see the lamp. But I have a condition that means I see all the bits of the lamp and as such have a need to save everyone in my family.

Its both a burden and a curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Is there anything you haven't done Biggins? A pretty cool life you must lead IMO - I feel like a boring eejit by comparison :pac:

As regards what's interesting/unique about my life... I'll have to get back to ye on that one, it's gonna require a bit of thinking :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GooseberryLady

Is this a what makes us unique or what have I done compared to everyone else thread?

Either way-

I've been to more countries than my years of age, not bad at 20...

I've watched the sun rise over the Himalayas, and watched them as the clouds parted on a beautiful day.

I've stood one metre away from a human body being burned

I've been invited into an indian guru's for tea, and danced and sung with him while speaking very little of his language and vice versa.

I'm blessed to have friends all over the world and a desire to see as much of this world as possible.

I've been to one of the seven wonders of the world, and aim to tick off the rest before I'm 30.

I've jumped down a waterfall 18 metres high

I'm 40% doctor.

I'm quite good at sketches,

And i have a dimple high up on my cheek when i smile too wide, which is quite often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I'm a notorious clever ****er basically - too clever for my own good half the time but saying that I just got 460 in the leaving with sweet **** all work at all - has come in handy in one way I suppose but the biggest problem is then that I'm always right which pisses other people off constantly :pac::pac:

Are we supposed to be impressed?
    johnmcdnl wrote: »
    like who else knows what the capital of Kyrgyzstan is of the top of their heads :o:o

Somebody who looked it up to seem clever? Memorizing 1 fact isn't clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I always thought everyone did to some extent, but I understand that it is far more extreme in some people.

Do you see sounds as well?

With music i sometimes see it in colorful waves. But it's not all the time. I also associate certain words with various tastes. It's messed up as banana makes me taste liquorish and for some strange reason tuna gives me a strong sour orange taste. Obviously not when eating them. Just when i think of the words.

storm2811 wrote: »
    Wow,that's amazing,must be kind of annoying though or would you be used to it?

Well the color thing has been like that since i was a kid so i just grew up with it. I usually confuse e's with i's because of it though as one is a bright yellow and the other is a bright orange to me. It's strange because i usually recall spelling through images.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm 26 and I have two massive blood clots in my brain...

Not an everyday thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

I see words and numbers in colors...I thought everyone was like that until i was like 16 or something.

Don't you mean: I thought everyone was like that until I was like 16 or purple..?
    Age and time catches up with you. :o

Yeah, the picture of you looks fcked alright. Haw haw.

My claim to fame is that I am fluent in Linear B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I have low latent inhibition,

Basically - when a normal person sees a lamp, they just see the lamp. But I have a condition that means I see all the bits of the lamp and as such have a need to save everyone in my family.

Its both a burden and a curse.
    That sounds pretty cool though, Weren't you in Prison Break??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

I seem to be slowly turning into a hippie and find a unicycle a viable for of transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭TheRiddler

I highly enjoy inserting foreign objects, anally of course, into my body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

TheRiddler wrote: »
    I highly enjoy inserting foreign objects, anally of course, into my body.
    /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Isle

I've seen a volcano erupt. Seriously I have! There's a little volcano off the coast of Sicily that erupts a few times a week. They have boat trips out to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Even I don't know if I'm a girl or a guy any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i love my two dads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 shampoo2223

I love my friends and they love me too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

For example, I know that 1 Billion seconds is equal to 36 years, 3 months, 1 week and a day. Approx. Doesn't make me clever.
    True, because it's 31 years 8 months odd.
    Nolanger wrote: »
    I refuse to drink alcohol just to be different :D
    So, why do you drink alcohol then? :D

Me:

I hate when people start threads which simply ask a question without stating their own answer.

I've seen/done/thought/felt loads of things, but I'm not saying any more until I get the proper pharmaceutical substances in the correct doses.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'm 26 and I have two massive blood clots in my brain...

Not an everyday thing.

Soo do aaalll who come to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time we are given.

That's terrible seaneh!

There's lots of people on boards who will make you sad, if you take the time to stalk them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Everything is my life is interesting and unique to me because it happened to me. Whether or not it has to be interesting or unique to others is of no importance to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

esel wrote: »
    True, because it's 31 years 8 months odd.

:o

Damn Guinness Book of Knowledge was wrong! I can accept I was wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement