Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway city shopping

Options
  • 28-08-2010 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

hi lads myself and gf are heading to galway next weekend for a few days, just wondering where are the best places to shop and to go on a night out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Your profile says your from Cork. Cork is way better for shopping comparing to Galway. I do know we have one of the cheapest Tommy Hilfiger Shops in the country. There are loads of shops around Shop Street and the streets off it to look around but no big malls apart from Eyre Square Centre/Edward Square. Galway Shopping Centre would not be worth the small walk out.

But if your looking to go out at night time; GALWAY IS BRILLIANT! Head for High St & Quay St. I like Spanish Arch Hotel and The Front Door myself.

You have a gf so Night Clubs be worth missing.

To be totally honest, I would advise to miss the night clubs in Galway regardless. The pub scene itself is where I think this city makes a name for itself - Salthouse, Bierhaus, Roisin Dubh, Massimos, Kingshead, Front Door etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Shopping is useless In Galway. Probably the worst in the west TBH

sealgaire wrote: »
    Shopping is useless In Galway. Probably the worst in the west TBH

There are some good women's clothes shops, just no good men ones. Just have a walk around and I'm sure you'll find some - the shopping centres don't generally have good ones though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I think this thread is a bit unfair, shopping in Galway is decent, just not that many massive malls. Born is a recent addition which is one of the best in town for men's and women's clothes, its not far from the Cathedral. Shop Street is decent (Topshop, Next, River Island, Anthony Ryans, loads more). Theres the Corbett Court in Eyre Square which is good and very central. Corrib Shopping Centre has Debenhams and lots of others. Theres a newish TK Maxx just off Eyre Square.

As for the retail parks, theres the Headford Road Shopping Centre, bit old now but decent shops like Burton, Dorothy Perkins, Penny's etc. Across the road theres Galway Retail Park, not much clothes wise apart from sports shops like Elvery's and Lifestyle. Wellpark Retail is another one but don't think theres any clothes shops, good for electronics though. Theres a new retail park in Briarhill but have never really looked around there so not sure whats in it apart from Dunnes and KFC. Theres some stuff in Liosbaun too.

Thats all I can think of really. Galway differs from Cork or Limerick in that a lot of the best shops are in the middle of town and not located in super malls outside the city so just walk around Shop Street and the side streets and you're bound to find something to your taste. As for night life, Galway speaks for itself, probably the most popular destination in Ireland at the moment. Just wander around Quay Street and those areas, you won't miss the craic down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The best shops in Galway are the non chain stores. For example food shops. You can't beat McCambridges, Goyas, Griffin's Bakery, Mortons or Sheridans Chesses.

Galway is full of the same old Top Shops and M&S that ye have in Cork, Croydon, Carlisle and Colchester. Not too sure what age the OP is but there are many quirky clothes shops. Port West and Great Outdoors and River Deep Mountain high are brilliant if you are the outdoor type.

I love Logues for shoes. No frills but excellent choice.
    Charlie Byrnes is one of the best bookshops on the planet.
    Carpenter Menswear and Hanleys are not too bad for mens clothes.
    There are lots of trendy womens clothes shops too.

Other great local shops that are unique include Anthony Ryans departments store, Zhivago music, Born for clothes , Fallers and of course the ultimate retail experience in The Four Corners.

There's no room for Starbucks in Galway. Get your caffeine fix in Elles or Mocha Beans.

And get a deep fried curry coleslaw snack box in Charcoal Grill after 14 pints in The Dew Drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Lets face it - shops in Galway are disaster. Its better in every Polish town i have been to and to be honest i would recomend it to every Irish person to go sometimes to one of the Polish or German big cities to fill the wardrobe from time to time...much cheaper and incomparably more choice of all brands. (zara, gap, h&m, esprit, and much much more).

(dont worry i do have to support local economy too from time to time) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

ErnieBert wrote: »

There's no room for Starbucks in Galway. Get your caffeine fix in Elles or Mocha Beans.

Elles and Mocha Beans make terrible coffee. Starbucks coffee isn't very nice either (although their desserts masquerading as coffee are nom) but I do believe we're soon to have one.

No, keep Starbucks out of Galway. There's Food 4 Thought, Java, cafe du sol and others that will probably lose a lot of business if it moves in - even if Starbucks does make horrible coffee, you just know everyone will flock there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

As far as I know there's one due to open here soon, in NUIG. To be honest I can't see it taking too much business away from the decent coffee places in town, the people who will flock there probably don't really like coffee anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

moonflower wrote: »
    As far as I know there's one due to open here soon, in NUIG. To be honest I can't see it taking too much business away from the decent coffee places in town, the people who will flock there probably don't really like coffee anyway.

Yeah, but those people go to the currently available coffee shops too. Meh, I don't give a hoot either way, not a fan of starbucks but not a fan of over half the places in town anyway.

Advertisement