Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cresent Traffic Lights

Options
  • 28-08-2010 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed the traffic lights at the Cresent changing after only a few seconds?

I was driving through town this evening and was 2nd car at the lights going in the direction of Ballymahon Road. Light went green and the 1st car was about half way over the stop line when it went red again.

Saw something similar the evening before but the green light lasted approx 10 seconds before going red again.

Traffic waiting on the other lights were minimal both times

Comments

Were there any busses around at the time, I think they have bus detectors fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Were there any busses around at the time, I think they have bus detectors fitted.

Nope, no bus in sight. I noticed the sensor things on top of the lights so I presumed they were there to monitor the traffic build up at each junction and change accordingly. But in both cases there was more traffic waiting at the junction I was at than the other 3 so I would have expected them to let my side flow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Seem to be all over the place. I was heading into town from the Ballymahon Road the other day, and a huge number of cars got through from St. Mel's. That was always the shortest one.

Then when I was going through it a day or two later from Mel's, I was third in the queue and it was changing back to red as I went through the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I've noticed this a lot recently. As well as the long line of traffic that stretches back to the sports centre everyday at about 2. I know it's common in the school year at 8-9am and 3-4pm, but I've only noticed it in the last week :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

yep, saw it myself the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

this had been going on for a while now. They did seem to be changing faster at one stage, to allow traffic through in bursts, but it seems to have gone wonkey again. Coming from Mels it had a decent time, then coming from Ballymahon direction/doctor surgeries, it had a very long time being green. However, coming from the bus station into town or over to Mels has a very short time, only enough for 2 to 3 cars.

I'm wondering if they've put in some sort of new sensors, to detect traffic coming from ballymahon/town to ease congestion. However, I've seen cars backed up as far as the bus station trying to get their turn at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

They were giving off about giving right turning traffic from the Ballymahon Road a dedicated light - seems to be messed up since then.

Advertisement