Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burglaries in wexford

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    €10,000 worth of stock stolen from Corrigan Carpets over the weekend,whoever did it knew what they were after as they stole the more expensive carpets and rugs.It would have taken a large van or truck to do it so hopefully somebody spotted them.

A decant hard working family the Corrigans are and dont deserve that.

Also there was a substantial amount of money stolen from a van in enniscorthy last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Commish

Folks, just to make you aware if you are on facebook a new page has been set up to help battle burglaries in the County. Its located at www.facebook.com/BurglariesWexford so just click in and like this page and you will be kept updated as to whats happening around the county. Its aimed at creating a common ground for people to collate information about suspicious vehicles hanging around, areas that are being targeted and community alert information can be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

BURGLARIES in County Wexford were up by more than one fifth in 2011, an analysis of the latest crime figures shows.

The number of burglaries in County Wexford increased by 22% in 2011, up from a total of 723 in 2010 to 879 last year.

- May is the most burgled month of the year in Wexford.

- Wexford accounts for 4% of burglaries nationwide.

- €1,868 was the average value taken from each home burgled.

- Between 12 p.m. and 4p.m. is the most likely time of day to be burgled (23% of all burglaries).

- Thursday is the most targeted day of week (16.5% of all burglaries in 2011).

Source : www.newrossstandard.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A good idea from one parish:
    CopyofDSCN4175.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

White Mountain residents have a similar scheme & those in it get text alerts of suspicious activity & details/reg numbers of cars acting suspiciously.It has helped cut down on burglaries in the area and people don't feel alone as they know those near them are there to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Thats the way to go. It has to be up to local rural residents to be aware of unusual activity in their areas. The Garda just dont have the resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Just a heads up. About ten N.I. registered vans and caravans moved into the harbour in Courtown today.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mished

zerks wrote: »
      White Mountain residents have a similar scheme & those in it get text alerts of suspicious activity & details/reg numbers of cars acting suspiciously.It has helped cut down on burglaries in the area and people don't feel alone as they know those near them are there to help.

Yes we do have it, loads of them signs around and the text alert is brilliant ;)

1. Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

mished wrote: »

Yes we do have it, loads of them signs around and the text alert is brilliant ;)

It certainly works - I was around that area this time last year looking for a missing dog and I reckon every house in the place knew I was coming up their road. I was met and challenged - in a friendly way - by one man when I was calling to his neighbour's house. When I explained what I was doing, he was most helpful but I was impressed that everyone was so well connected.

1. Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mished

Dilbert75 wrote: »
        It certainly works - I was around that area this time last year looking for a missing dog and I reckon every house in the place knew I was coming up their road. .

We probably all got texts about you hanging around ;)

People looking out for each other works very well, the texts remind you watch out even more and a nice loud dog helps too :D

2. Advertisement
      3. Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mished

two houses burgled in Killanne at lunchtime on saturday :mad:

4. Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Someone tried to break into my parents house while there was only my 18yr old sister in there last Friday night. Luckily, my father was only in the pub up the road and was able to run home at which stage the would-be thief had seemingly given up. I dread to think what might have happened shoud he have got in though.

This is also right dead in the middle of the town, in a busy and friendly estate. Not out the middle of no-where.

5. Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Fair idea who's nesting between Gorey and Hollyfort.You're right Bmaxi, they do import cousins and fellow operators when a target has been identified and sussed out.Break ins on the increase in the area and this is not surprising as criminals are aware of fewer gardai on duty and response time much delayed.Friend's house,not far from notorious nest,burgled last wednesday afternoon.A difficult feat at that:involved athletic scaling.Light, skinny young fella probably used to gain entry,mid,late afternoon.Irreplaceable valuables taken including a Grandmother's wedding and engagement rings.Four gardai on duty in Gorey Station that afternoon ,I believe.Four gangs,it seems operate in the Nth Wexford area including local "intelligence" ,their friends /allies/relatives from beyond.It is also believed there is a non native group active.Vigilance is vital regarding usual suspects:Young lads [maybe girls]who should be at school may be spotted "scouting";vans etc idling about...take reg no's,note details....seems the law abiding and now less protected public will have to become more active in the defence of the vulnerable in the community through sharing vital knowledge and suspicions with each other and ,of course,the Gardai:mad: Hope Commish had better to report since.

6. Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

My own house was broken into last month (if you look two posts up, I said that my parents house had an attempted break in)

Took an Xbox, Laptop, iPhone etc.

Don't know how they got in and this is the town center like.

Will be keeping a large kitchen knife close by at all times from now and will gut the next one who tries me thinks

7. Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

bmaxi wrote: »
        Just a heads up. About ten N.I. registered vans and caravans moved into the harbour in Courtown today.

4 months later are they still there ? .Whats Courtown like to live in by the way ?.I may be renting there ,would people recommend staying in a gated community ? of which there are several i think ?

PS ,I am not so worryied for myself ,but more so for my wife and young daughter .

8. Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

anto9 wrote: »
        4 months later are they still there ? .Whats Courttown like to live in by the way .i MAYBE BE RENTING THERE .WOULD PEOPLE ADVISE A GATED COMMUNITY ?

Deffo, with roaming security guys with ak47s and watchtowers will be important too.

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

anto9 wrote: »
        4 months later are they still there ? .Whats Courtown like to live in by the way ?.I may be renting there ,would people recommend staying in a gated community ? of which there are several i think ?

PS ,I am not so worryied for myself ,but more so for my wife and young daughter .

They're long gone. Courtown is fine to live in, like anywhere else it gets it's share of visiting scumbags and there are some resident scumbags in Riverchapel but you'd have nothing to worry about. It'll be fairly quiet from now until about April.

10. Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Missed your earlier post Griffin and sorry to read about your break in and theft.Even if the victim has insurance,no money or sympathetic words can quell the anger at having your privacy violated,your patch invaded and robbed by some lowlife.My place was broken into six years back,nothing taken but there was costly damage.The fecker's a local with a history;he robbed two neighbours as well.These cases didn't get to court,but he did time for a long list of other jobs.Had alarm fitted since and felt the expense was worth it when a local caught the rat[just out of prison]breaking into his property,wife and two kids in bed.The rat had six or seven colours of sh*** bate out of him with a fairly solid stick before the gardai were called. No legal complications followed.I don't believe our rat has invaded private property since.He is probably robbing though to feed his drug habit.Tis a rare thing to see a guard on the street,so it is likely that a strung out dopehead will wander about,unchecked,a danger to himself[and herself]and others.Security, it seems, is becoming more and more Joe Public's watching brief.

11. Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A short while after my folks place was broken into,an amount of stolen Jewellery among other stuff was found in North Wexford,no call from Gardai or anyone for them to go & try to identify any of it,even though it was mostly jewellery that was stolen from them.
        Very shoddy work,the Gardai seem to have the attitude of the burglars being so good that there's little to stop these robberies.

12. Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Gardai are probably under pressure in many areas due to reduced numbers but they could certainly work more effectively at gaining public confidence that they can stem the tide of rising crime;that it doesn't overwhelm the law abiding community with a sense of fear and despair

13. Advertisement
      14. Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

DSC01402_zpsc43c3edd.jpg

Massive increase in the number of burglaries locally . -

15. Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Judt some advice for people if you have someone call to your door selling alarms especially Eircom Alarms make sure they have proper ID and even if you don't have it tell them you do have an alarm system. I don't think it's a wise thing nowerdays to tell strangers you don't have or want an alarm.

16. Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What needs to be done?

1. Build more prison places.
        2. Tougher sentences on a sliding scale. The more convictions you have, the longer the jail term.
        3. Reform free legal aid. Again this should be done on a sliding scale. It should be phased out for habitual law breakers.
        4. Insist Judges do their jobs..
        5. End of concurrent sentencing in most cases.

17. Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Finnbar01 wrote: »
        What needs to be done?

2. Tougher sentences on a sliding scale. The more convictions you have, the longer the jail term.
        3. Reform free legal aid. Again this should be done on a sliding scale. It should be phased out for habitual law breakers.

Hire Sheriff Joe Arpaio and let him take control of the Law in Ireland.

18. Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Never mind more prisons and tougher sentences, we need Dirty Harry to clean up the place.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1dmu7J5lpyyI4HDkI_tye51iAqeYAVxqoWBQCtjWwJtO_2359

19. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Finnbar01 wrote: »
        What needs to be done?

Couldn't argue with any of that but I'd like to add another of my own. "taking other issues into consideration"
        I remember being in court as a witness in a break in and talking to the prosecuting Garda. He had a file in which there was a foolscap pad full of notes and I asked was this my statement. He laughed and said "no, these are the jobs he's pulled since your case which he's been caught for"
        Apparently the criminal is released on bail and the idea is to commit as many crimes as possible before his court date and then if he is caught in any of them, ask the Judge to consider them when passing sentence. Chances are he'll get the one sentence for them all. What a fcuking joke. Surely this only encourages crime
        It was all academic anyway as the fcuker never showed and I presume, left the state as he hasn't been seen since.

20. Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just bumping this,despite a meeting between law abiding citizens & Gardai last week in Enniscorthy,the scourge continues unabated.

Even yesterday evening a group from a certain ethnic background (not Irish) were caught red-handed in the act of an attempted break - in.They managed to flee but not before being seen close up & personal.

How many times do we see squad cars doing routine patrols anymore,the only time I see them now are at checkpoints,the order of the day is to collect revenue,not the fault of the rank & file but those on high who expect the wages of those under them to be collected in fines not convictions.

21. Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Slightly off topic, but how long can it be before the same, or another gang, return to the Ulster Bank ATM in Rafter Street. Remember where you read it first!

22. Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

The thing is these robberies are getting more and more brazen. Daylight..no bother. A person is home..no bother. Someone is going to get their head blown off and all the luvvies will be on to Joe Duffy show complaining. At least post decapitation we might get some peace.

A neighbour only recently convinced two lads not to take his home heating oil at 4.30 pm after much discussion...In the end he did not ask nicely ( hint: see the dirty Harry pic..);)

Someone is going to get planted in the Enniscorthy Area soon.

23. Advertisement
      Advertisement