Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flashing bios

Options
  • 28-08-2010 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

got a problem ,upgrading old packard bell for a friend, increased ram worked for a short time, then i received an error warning. also installed xp pro. from xp home. did not install properly now i cannot access files.i guess i need to flash bios, so i can upgrade,have tried to find flash update but all links are dead.i cannot access cd rom to do fresh install.the desktop is packard bell imedia motherboard ms 6511 ver 1.I know its very old but it belonged to his late daughter. would appreciate some help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

have you try,d clearing the cmos or remove the cmos battery for ten mins then put it back in
    remove-battery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Is the computer capable of booting via usb stick?

There are a few guides around on how to create a usb stick capable of flashing the bios, came in handy for me recently.

Such as this one: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/246530-how-flash-your-bios-dos-using-usb-stick.html

There are better guides out there however, as you might get confused when he goes on about clevos near the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 arkansas

i have tried to install windows using usb but it goes straight to hdd.i have not been able to get bios update, links all dead. iguess the pc is ten years old normally i would say its too old but because it has sentimental value i have not got the heart to tell my friend i screwed up.ihave reset bios jumpers,to no effect,would that be the same as removing cmos battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

arkansas wrote: »
    i have tried to install windows using usb but it goes straight to hdd.
    Have you set the bios to USB as first boot device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 arkansas

yes i have

• Advertisement
Advertisement