Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antimatter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

TheKells wrote: »
    Where?

Quantum Leap into their universe to redress the balance in the force.

Obviously.

Thrill wrote: »
    The other you would have had an anti-****.

And went at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

And went at the end.
    The anti-**** Magic Marker wouldn't know if he was coming or going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wish I was in the alternative universe now as I wouldn't have a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

King Felix wrote: »
    Was watching a documentary about quantum physics which discussed the existence of antimatter and stated the possibility of there being an alternative universe, mirroring our own, just made up of anti-particles.

Somewhere out there, there's a world containing all of us, mimicking our every move and thinking they are as real as we are. What an odd notion.

So in another universe somewhere, there's another me starting a thread right now in Before Hours entitled Matter.

So is this tread about parallel universes or antimatter?

Antimatter existed in the universe after the big bang but only for a few seconds. When ordinary matter and antimatter meet they annihilate each other which results in a great amount of energy being released. There was a great "battle" between matter and antimatter a few seconds after the big bang. Matter won, for some strange reason there was more matter in the universe at the time than antimatter. If the radio were 50:50, then the universe would in total darkness. In fact there is very little matter in the universe in comparison to its vast amount of space. The existance of antimatter is a fact. Antiparticles are actually being used in modern technology. Physicist at CERN have already created full antihydrogen atom, but only a few and they only existed for a few seconds. To create a gram of antimatter it would take millions of years and it would be incredible hard to store.

Parallel universes is really another topic, however it could be possible that the antimatter won the "Great matter - antimatter war" a couple of seconds after the big bang. The theory of parallel universes was first proposed after analysis electrons in the atom. It was thought that electrons could jump in and out of this universe into a parallel universe; sharing their orbits with the nuclei of another atoms, or their alternate nuclei. The theory of parallel universes has been further investigated, particularly in string theory and M-theory. It opens out other doors such as their being up to 11 dimensions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Well, I hope I have a Bugatti Veyron and Speedboat in that other dimension.

I bet the fucker is even going to Electric Picnic.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Well, I hope I have a Bugatti Veyron and Speedboat in that other dimension.

I bet the fucker is even going to Electric Picnic.

I hear Bruce Springsteen is the Anti-Pete. And he's playing electric picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The only problem with the alternative universe is the sheer amount of goatee beards, especially on the women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

King Felix wrote: »
    Was watching a documentary about quantum physics which discussed the existence of antimatter and stated the possibility of there being an alternative universe, mirroring our own, just made up of anti-particles.

Somewhere out there, there's a world containing all of us, mimicking our every move and thinking they are as real as we are. What an odd notion.

So in another universe somewhere, there's another me starting a thread right now in Before Hours entitled Matter.

Actually, I believe the anti-verse is superimposed with our universe. All particles in the universe are coupled with their anti-particles, existing in the same space at the same time. It's only a matter of being able to observe these anti-particles.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Antimatter existed in the universe after the big bang but only for a few seconds. When ordinary matter and antimatter meet they annihilate each other which results in a great amount of energy being released. There was a great "battle" between matter and antimatter a few seconds after the big bang. Matter won, for some strange reason there was more matter in the universe at the time than antimatter. If the radio were 50:50, then the universe would in total darkness. In fact there is very little matter in the universe in comparison to its vast amount of space. The existance of antimatter is a fact. Antiparticles are actually being used in modern technology. Physicist at CERN have already created full antihydrogen atom, but only a few and they only existed for a few seconds. To create a gram of antimatter it would take millions of years and it would be incredible hard to store.

Parallel universes is really another topic, however it could be possible that the antimatter won the "Great matter - antimatter war" a couple of seconds after the big bang. The theory of parallel universes was first proposed after analysis electrons in the atom. It was thought that electrons could jump in and out of this universe into a parallel universe; sharing their orbits with the nuclei of another atoms, or their alternate nuclei. The theory of parallel universes has been further investigated, particularly in string theory and M-theory. It opens out other doors such as their being up to 11 dimensions.
    It's a ****ing thread in AH, where we imagine what our alternate counterparts are up to.
    Scientific research does not come into play.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    It's a ****ing thread in AH, where we imagine what our alternate counterparts are up to.
    Scientific research does not come into play.

Sorry, I was just bringing a bit of scientific correctness into the thread.
    i.e., antimatter =/= alternate universes. This title of this thread is "antimatter" therefore imagining "what our alternate counterparts are up to", is quite off topic.

demonspawn wrote: »
    Actually, I believe the anti-verse is superimposed with our universe. All particles in the universe are coupled with their anti-particles, existing in the same space at the same time. It's only a matter of being able to observe these anti-particles.

Discuss.

It's alternative particle not anit-particle.

*Bangs head off table*

*Bangs head off table*

Nerds and geeks forum
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

isnt it obvious? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

A mirror world made of anti-matter would not be opposite land. Everything would be the exact same, the only difference would be if we ever came in contact we'd destroy each other.

*Bangs head off table*

Does it... matter?

Does it... matter?

Yes, to mix up antimatter and alternative universes is facepalm worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

And to miss such an obvious pun is also facepalm worthy :pac:!

That's a... matter of opinion

But I respect your... alternative viewpoint

:p

It would be like mixing up the theories of Maurice Goldhaber and those of Everett and Wheeler.

• Advertisement

And to miss such an obvious pun is also facepalm worthy :pac:!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My anti matters, and me uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I'm hungry.

Well don't go to an Italian restaurant and order an antipasta whatever you do...
    :P

ejmaztec wrote: »
    My anti matters, and me uncle.

Nerd humor, gotta love it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Stockings

demonspawn wrote: »
    Nerd humor, gotta love it. :D

No you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stockings wrote: »
    No you don't.

A couple of extra-tight garters is a good cure for misery.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Stockings wrote:
    No you don't.

Click.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Does it... matter?

.....or does it anti-matter?

It's based on Maurice Goldhaber's theory of an anti-matter universe as opposed to the theory of multiverses or the many worlds interpretation, for the lulz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Stockings

Terry wrote: »

Yes! Yes please!!!

(But I'm still not going to find a bad joke funny just because of its classification. I have standards - where's the cat with a placard???)

Advertisement