Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antimatter

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stockings wrote: »
    Yes! Yes please!!!

(But I'm still not going to find a bad joke funny just because of its classification. I have standards - where's the cat with a placard???)

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Stockings

ejmaztec wrote: »
    :confused:

Don't get your :confused:. In fact, your :confused: makes me :confused:.

To clarify, when I say I have standards, I mean that I'm not going to find a joke funny just because it is classifed as a "[x] joke" (e.g. [nerd] joke).

I normally do love fun, but I thought that initial post that I replied to was a bit silly and needed correction.

In other news, a nerd has just walked into a bar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

King Felix wrote: »
    It's based on Maurice Goldhaber's theory of an anti-matter universe as opposed to the theory of multiverses or the many worlds interpretation, for the lulz.

Maurice Goldhaber's theory doesn't contradict the multiverse theory. It merely suggests that amongst the infinite amount of other universes in the multiverse, one universe had more antimatter at the big bang than antimatter, thus causing all matter to be eliminated but antimatter survived. This would be very probable in multiverse theory seen as the multiverse itself is really a spectrum of all possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Maurice Goldhaber's theory doesn't contradict the multiverse theory. It merely suggests that amongst the infinite amount of other universes in the multiverse, one universe had more antimatter at the big bang than antimatter, thus causes all matter to be eliminated but antimatter survived. This would be very probable in multiverse theory seen as the multiverse itself is really a spectrum of all possibilities.

I got contradicting accounts of his theory online. I'd have to read his work to be definitve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Was watching a documentary about quantum physics which discussed the existence of antimatter and stated the possibility of there being an alternative universe, mirroring our own, just made up of anti-particles.

Somewhere out there, there's a world containing all of us, mimicking our every move and thinking they are as real as we are. What an odd notion.

So in another universe somewhere, there's another me starting a thread right now in Before Hours entitled Matter.

Wouldn't you be closing the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Somewhere out there, there's a world containing all of us, mimicking our every move and thinking they are as real as we are. What an odd notion.

Surely they're mirroring our every move, as in doing the exact opposite, no ?

Holy crap! Just realised that that would mean that THAT Hitler, Saddam and Bush didn't kill loads of people, so therefore there are millions of extra people in the world, therefore it's no longer an exact mirror image of all the people here!

And THEIR FF is competent, fair and ethical.....and not in Government to use those traits ?

My head hurts!!!!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Surely they're mirroring our every move, as in doing the exact opposite, no ?

Holy crap! Just realised that that would mean that THAT Hitler, Saddam and Bush didn't kill loads of people, so therefore there are millions of extra people in the world, therefore it's no longer an exact mirror image of all the people here!

And THEIR FF is competent, fair and ethical.....and not in Government to use those traits ?

My head hurts!!!!
    I disagree, I reckon FF would still be shít.

The bad people now would be good and wouldn't get into office.

And the good people here would be bad, and then they'd get elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Imagin the internet connected the two and we never knew
    lone stone unknowingly has entered the outer limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Maurice Goldhaber's theory doesn't contradict the multiverse theory. It merely suggests that amongst the infinite amount of other universes in the multiverse, one universe had more antimatter at the big bang than antimatter, thus causing all matter to be eliminated but antimatter survived. This would be very probable in multiverse theory seen as the multiverse itself is really a spectrum of all possibilities.

Antimatter doesn't exist unless this thread is closed.

If the thread isn't closed, then there was nobody in the antimatter side to "open it", meaning the two universes aren't mirrored, which would cause all kinds of craziness.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »

:(But I'm on the dole living in my parents' basement:(

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Imagin the internet connected the two and we never knew
    lone stone unknowingly has entered the outer limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

MultiUmm wrote: »

Ummm. Wrong programme.

You may need to adjust your television set, despite advice to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Ummm. Wrong programme.

You may need to adjust your television set, despite advice to the contrary.

Really? Could've swore I was on the ball there with the Twilight zone. :confused:

Meh. It's 2.28 am. I'd give a shít but .. meh. :P

MultiUmm wrote: »
    Really? Could've swore I was on the ball there with the Twilight zone. :confused:

Meh. It's 2.28 am. I'd give a shít but .. meh. :P

Couldn't embed the original series intro. Damn youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭HorsesNHarleys

Antimatter existed in the universe after the big bang but only for a few seconds. When ordinary matter and antimatter meet they annihilate each other which results in a great amount of energy being released. There was a great "battle" between matter and antimatter a few seconds after the big bang. Matter won, for some strange reason there was more matter in the universe at the time than antimatter. If the radio were 50:50, then the universe would in total darkness. In fact there is very little matter in the universe in comparison to its vast amount of space. The existance of antimatter is a fact. Antiparticles are actually being used in modern technology. Physicist at CERN have already created full antihydrogen atom, but only a few and they only existed for a few seconds. To create a gram of antimatter it would take millions of years and it would be incredible hard to store.

Parallel universes is really another topic, however it could be possible that the antimatter won the "Great matter - antimatter war" a couple of seconds after the big bang. The theory of parallel universes was first proposed after analysis electrons in the atom. It was thought that electrons could jump in and out of this universe into a parallel universe; sharing their orbits with the nuclei of another atoms, or their alternate nuclei. The theory of parallel universes has been further investigated, particularly in string theory and M-theory. It opens out other doors such as their being up to 11 dimensions.

That's great, you're the resident Cliff Clavin, LOL;) As soon as I started reading your post I could hear his voice in my head, too funny!!!......it's a well known fact........:D:D:D (wish I could have found one where he said those famous words of his)

:(But I'm on the dole living in my parents' basement:(
    Is work drying up for quantum physicists these days.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67722941&postcount=10

Here is the video I mentioned in the OP....http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1406370011028154810#....the antimatter universe starts at about 10 minutes.

You keep telling me you're certain there is no theory of an anti-universe which mirrors our own, as postulated in the OP, but I keep coming across it on google.

What am I not getting here?

Is work drying up for quantum physicists these days.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67722941&postcount=10

Here is the video I mentioned in the OP....http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1406370011028154810#....the antimatter universe starts at about 10 minutes.

You keep telling me you're certain there is no theory of an anti-universe which mirrors our own, as postulated in the OP, but I keep coming across it on google.

What am I not getting here?

If there was an infinite amount of universes of course there probably would be a universe that is a mirror to our own yet antimatter was more prominent than matter. I'm not denying this. The thing I'm pointing at is that antimatter is not the same as an alternate universe, antimatter can and has existed in this universe.

If there was an infinite amount of universes of course there probably would be a universe that is a mirror to our own yet antimatter was more prominent than matter. I'm not denying this. The thing I'm pointing at is that antimatter is not the same as an alternate universe, antimatter can and has existed in this universe.

Ok.

Does the scenario in the OP mirror the scenario in the video explored by Professor Al-Khalili?

Ok.

Does the scenario in the OP mirror the scenario in the video explored by Professor Al-Khalili?

I can't think. I'm tired, hungover and have a pain in my back ... go away.

[/thread]

• Advertisement

I can't think. I'm tired, hungover and have a pain in my back ... go away.

[/thread]

WHERE IS YOUR GOD SCIENCE NOW??!!

:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement