Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga - Week 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Archimedes wrote: »
    Canales! Delighted!

No Ozil or Khedira? Are they on the bench?

Both on bench.

Villa, Villa ,Villa, Villa MARAVILLA!!!

:D:D:D

Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Was there ever any doubt that he'd get off the mark in his first league game?

I have a feeling Barca are going to rip them a new one now. The deffo wanted Villa to get off the mark and now that its happened its open season for everybody.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Was there ever any doubt that he'd get off the mark in his first league game?
    I have a feeling Barca are going to rip them a new one now. The deffo wanted Villa to get off the mark and now that its happened its open season for everybody.

He had already scored for Barca - on wednesday night against AC Milan though that wasnt an official game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Delighted that Canales is starting. Feared he might get burried this season.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Delighted that Canales is starting. Feared he might get burried this season.

Dont think that will happen - I have been reading nothing but how Mourinho adores him since he arrived as coach.

Literally everyday there has been a story or more written about it in the Spanish press.

I personally didnt expect him to remain with all the new signings and big names.

Thought he would have been loaned back to Racing for the season.

He is similar to Bojan a couple of seasons back in that he needs to bulk up - he scored some cracking goals at Racing last season.

redout wrote: »
    He had already scored for Barca - on wednesday night against AC Milan though that wasnt an official game.
    I was aware of that, I'm was talking about the league as I said.

Not a bad performance at all especially when you consider that the eight World cup winners only have two weeks training in them.

They should all improve over the coming weeks - the only real negatives were the injury to Puyol and Xavi.

Hopefully they wont be too serious.

• Advertisement

I don't know why but its just a bit surreal seeing Mourinho in the Real Madrid dugout. What a legend, only manager ever that is a bigger star than the players on the pitch imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Mourinho has well and truly brought the Premier League to Spain :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is Mourinho's home record still going??

Not a very convincing first-half performance from Real.

Injury time winner for Mourinho is nailed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Real playing 4-2-3-1 and it ain't working to well, Mallorca look dangerous on the counter. Canales having a mare so far, first touch has been woeful.

Alonso has giving the ball away countless times too.

• Advertisement

Not surprised at this, iirc Mallorca has a ridic record at home last year. I think they went 10 straight before they were beaten. I think it was 10 wins actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Not surprised at this, iirc Mallorca has a ridic record at home last year. I think they went 10 straight before they were beaten. I think it was 10 wins actually.

Yea, only lost 3 games (Real, Barca and Sevilla) and 1 draw.

Here comes Ozil and Benzema, will be interesting.

Real not even getting a sniff here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

What's the score, lads?

• Advertisement

4-3 Mallorca, Jonathan Woodgate hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

What's the score, lads?

0-0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

very young real team... will take longer than 1 month to bed in.

Ronaldo has been terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

4-3 Mallorca, Jonathan Woodgate hat-trick.

Nice one, I got 250/1 on the hat-trick with Paddy Power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Baros on for Madrid. :D

On to Saturday and the first of the big two are in action as the champions travel north to El Sardinero followed by Real Madrid travelling to the islands to take on Laudrups Mallorca. Nothing really to write about the big two as anyone that follows la liga should know the score.

Are you for real, nothing much to write about?? Mallorca had a fantastic season last year and brilliant home record. Real with Mourinho in charge and the new signings, Barca(the champions and effectively world champions) back in action after signing the complete striker, plenty to write about. You should'nt be as dismissive of the 'score' like that, any La Liga newcomer might think its all so predictable ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

bad miss by ronnie one on one with the keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Are you for real, nothing much to write about?? Mallorca had a fantastic season last year and brilliant home record. Real with Mourinho in charge and the new signings, Barca(the champions and effectively world champions) back in action after signing the complete striker, plenty to write about. You should'nt be as dismissive of the 'score' like that, any La Liga newcomer might think its all so predictable ;-)

I think he means that everybody is well aware of what's going on with the big 2 in Spain unless they've been living under a rock!

Great save keeper. well anticipated.

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    I think he means that everybody is well aware of what's going on with the big 2 in Spain unless they've been living under a rock!

hmm touche... my bad.

Mourinho's first 'going for it' sub/switch, Diarra back to RB. Personally I think Higuain is far too over-rated, I had this discussion last season with someone on this, Ill keep an eye on him again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Book that bastard of a mascot for time wasting! :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I've only caught the last twenty minutes or so but it's been an extremely open game. Madrid really don't look like a Mourinho team.

My word, what did Benzema cost? Awful effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The Mallorca keeper has been great tonight. Benzema is really poor. I know he's had injuries but he hasn't played to his full potential in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Madrid lack discipline here. Mourinho is going to take so many of these players on over the next few weeks, but it's going to be a bollocking at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Well thats the League over already :D

Benzema with a real half hearted finish there at the end. Should have snatched it for Madrid. Happy with the result. Shame I don't llike either runner in the 2 horse race though that is la liga.

PHB wrote: »
    Madrid lack discipline here. Mourinho is going to take so many of these players on over the next few weeks, but it's going to be a bollocking at first.

When a narcissistic , meglomaniac and general respectless man like Murinho is running the team it will and has rubbed off on his players.

• Advertisement

Aouate was just phenomenal tonight. Real would have won that match handily against almost any keeper in the world. They got through a few times and Ronaldo and Higuain are clinical but he kept them.

Some very odd refereeing it must be said, Higuain looked through twice only for a foul to stop him, the second time was a red card imo but neither was given as a foul just advantage.

This is nothing new from Aouate he has always been a class keeper but he is a controversial figure and its why he is at Mallorca and not a top club.

When a narcissistic , meglomaniac and general respectless man like Murinho is running the team it will and has rubbed off on his players.
    Mourinho is the best manager in the world at the present time. He also takes pressure off his players with his media presence. Your comments are just ludicrous, it didn't happen at Chelsea when he was there nor Porto nor Inter.

Fantastic result for the Islanders.

Laudrup had them playing a very disciplined game.

Madrid were far from convincing - should count themselves lucky they face none of the bigger sides until nov/dec.

They will improve gradually as the season progesses.

Fantastic result for the Islanders.

Laudrup had them playing a very disciplined game.

Madrid were far from convincing - should count themselves lucky they face none of the bigger sides until nov/dec.

They will improve gradually as the season progesses.
    Barca wouldn't have beaten that keeper today, nobody would.

Madrid werent great tonight.

The chaps on Sky all agreed (Guillem, Armstrong, Bolton) as did Spanish tv which I was watching on.

Nobody who watched the 90mins should even need them to come to that conclusion.

I wouldnt put the result down to the goalkeeper to be honest as that would nearly imply Real dominated which they most certainly did not.

Mallorca had half a dozen good chances of their own and never gave Madrid an easy ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Madrid were a bit disjointed all over the pitch today. They'll become better in time for sure, but to put it 100% down to the keeper is stupid, I remember Carvalho making one or two great last ditch tackles to prevent certain goals also.

• Advertisement

Madrid werent great tonight.

The chaps on Sky all agreed (Guillem, Armstrong, Bolton) as did Spanish tv which I was watching on.

Nobody who watched the 90mins should even need them to come to that conclusion.

I wouldnt put the result down to the goalkeeper to be honest as that would nearly imply Real dominated which they most certainly did not.

Mallorca had half a dozen good chances of their own and never gave Madrid an easy ride.
    Its amazing what you are leaving out though. Real had a number of clearcut chances that you just say in your mind 'heres a goal' and the keeper stopped them. Higuain was fouled twice when going clean through and there were no cards issued, there were also numerous bad offside calls from the linesman, close calls but wrong calls.

If this happened in a Barca game you guys would be screaming blue murder. I don't support either team, probably prefer Barca if anything but its clear to me that Madrid were by far the better team on the night. Thing is they are expected to win every game just like Barca but this was a great defensive performance by Mallorca, but even that on its own would not be enough it took a sensational peformance from their keeper to keep Madrid out. These pundits are all the same, if a team fails to win they weren't good enough in their eyes. I have yet to hear one say after a game that a team deserved the win and nothing was wrong that they just go unlucky on the night which is what happened to Real Madrid tonight.

I ask you this, how many saves did Casillas make?

Mourinho is the best manager in the world at the present time. He also takes pressure off his players with his media presence. Your comments are just ludicrous, it didn't happen at Chelsea when he was there nor Porto nor Inter.

I dont disagree, he is an outstanding manager and yes is one of the best managers in the world at present. But, that wasn't the issue in question, Inter had a horrendous disciplinary record last season. Chelsea have not been known to be the 'nice' guys either; Drogba has a flawed temperment and has several high profile moments of indiscipline lest you forget Moscow, his 'fkin disgrace' tirade and his red card against Inter last season. Himself, Terry, Cole, Ballack have never been the greatest examples of respecting the ref.

Ludicrous comment, Barca have Messi and Villa both are better than Higuain and Ronaldo. They would have scored at least one.

Drogba has a flawed temperment and has several high profile moments of indiscipline lest you forget Moscow, his 'fkin disgrace' tirade and his red card against Inter last season. Himself, Terry, Cole, Ballack have never been the greatest examples of respecting the ref.

Mourinho wasn't in charge of Chelsea during any of this stuff.

Ludicrous comment, Barca have Messi and Villa both are better than Higuain and Ronaldo. They would have scored at least one.
    Oh come on you are being pedantic here. What was it last year? Messi 34 in 35, Ronaldo 26 in 27? Higuain something ridiculous as well.

They are all incredible goalscorers and to pick one out as better than the other as a finisher is just retarded. As I said none of them would have beaten Aouate tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You cannot say that. Your comment is far more ludicrous than the post you responded to.

There is no way of knowing what would have happened in an individual game. Football is not an exact science. If that were the case, Messi and Villa would score in every game and Barcelona would never be beaten. There is nothing to be gained from wondering what would have happened in a hypothetical game involving Barcelona.

Oh come on you are being pedantic here. What was it last year? Messi 34 in 35, Ronaldo 26 in 27? Higuain something ridiculous as well.

They are all incredible goalscorers and to pick one out as better than the other as a finisher is just retarded. As I said none of them would have beaten Aouate tonight.

'Retarded'? Yes, yes your really going indepth to try back up a ridiculous comment! Goalscorers are compared with their finishing ability and technique. hahaha your blatant stubbornness is akin to Mourinho himself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement