Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP address conflict !!

• 28-08-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd post this while I still have access to the Internet. :rolleyes: Lately my access to the net is erratic because of an IP address conflict. It says that another computer on the network has the same address, and "unknown" network. I got on to my provider who said all was ok to the modem. Rang Dell, and after about 25 minutes on the phone they were to ring back. Never did. Tried again, same story. Switching off and unplugging the modem for between 12 and 24 hours seems to work, ( any lesser time does not seem to ), but I never know from hour to hour if I am going to have the internet.

Any advice or opinions ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Where did you get your router from? Sounds like you may have an incorrect static IP address on your WAN interface, probably should be set to DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).... do you know how to connect to the router and check the settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Where did you get your router from? Sounds like you may have an incorrect static IP address on your WAN interface, probably should be set to DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).... do you know how to connect to the router and check the settings.

Thanks for your reply Jonathan, but my knowledge of these things is very limited. Should I get a computer tech to come out and have a look ? Would have had to pay Dell anyway, if they had got back to me. If so, could you recommend someone ? I'm in the Drumcondra area.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood... did you say that the IP conflict error is being reported by your PC? This would mean that your PC has the same IP as another PC connected to your own router...

How many PCs are connected to your router? Does this conflict happen when another PC is turned on?

Sorry, I may have misunderstood... did you say that the IP conflict error is being reported by your PC? This would mean that your PC has the same IP as another PC connected to your own router...

How many PCs are connected to your router? Does this conflict happen when another PC is turned on?

I have only one PC, but the computer is saying there is another computer with the same address on the network.

hmmmm.. IP configuration on a small home network normally works as follows:

The DSL routing device usually has 4 Ethernet ports (i.e. 4 cabled connections) and wireless connectivity. When you plug in to one of the Ethernet ports, your computer will be assigned an IP address from the router UNLESS the PC has been assigned a static IP address (if the computer for example had been used on another network). The router will usually have the IP address 192.168.1.254 and will assign addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 (different routers assign different ranges).

If you could open up Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt and run the command IPCONFIG /ALL, this will give a lot of information... there is a lot of information in this, but the critical information would be IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS servers, DHCP information... if you could run the command and post this it would help.

Also, are you sure that your neighbour may not be connecting in without you knowing it? Do you have wifi set up on the router?

• Advertisement

hmmmm.. IP configuration on a small home network normally works as follows:

The DSL routing device usually has 4 Ethernet ports (i.e. 4 cabled connections) and wireless connectivity. When you plug in to one of the Ethernet ports, your computer will be assigned an IP address from the router UNLESS the PC has been assigned a static IP address (if the computer for example had been used on another network). The router will usually have the IP address 192.168.1.254 and will assign addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 (different routers assign different ranges).

If you could open up Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt and run the command IPCONFIG /ALL, this will give a lot of information... there is a lot of information in this, but the critical information would be IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS servers, DHCP information... if you could run the command and post this it would help.

Also, are you sure that your neighbour may not be connecting in without you knowing it? Do you have wifi set up on the router?

Thanks for your help. I'll do that now.

Got the info. Will PM it to you. Will probably take five minutes.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Got the info. Will PM it to you. Will probably take five minutes.

Would be better if you post it here. I have to head off to a damned wedding in a few minutes.. Just waiting on the call.. :(

Would be better if you post it here. I have to head off to a damned wedding in a few minutes.. Just waiting on the call.. :(

Have PM'd you. No hurry. When you get a chance take a look and see what you think. I'll keep an eye on my PM's. Even in a day or two would be fine. (If I have a connection). I'm very grateful for your help. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

One possibility would be someone connecting wirelessly with a static address which conflicts with a DHCP address given to your PC by the router.

From the results of
    ipconfig /all
    find the default gateway address IP (like 192.168.1.254 but the last 2 numbers 1,254 may differ) and enter that in your browser address bar, this should take you to the router setup interface.

Check wifi security, WPA or WPA2 is the way to go, WEP is very easy to crack. Or disable wifi and use a cable if you are the only user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm having a similar problem, I'm on 3 broadbrand with a Huawei router, when I connected my 360 to live (via ethernet) and laptop was on wireless, I got a message saying there was an I.P conflict with another device on the system. Must I give my laptop a new static I.P adress? Is it even possible with 3 broadband? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The router's DHCP server should be allowed to manage IP addresses for all devices on your network. If there are any devices that must have static IP addresses then those IP addresses should be outside the range the the router is managing. For example, if your router is managing the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 then only set staic IP's outside that range.

So find out how to login to your Huawei router and see what IP range it is managing with its DHCP server. Then if there are any static IP's on your network, make sure they are outside that IP range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I seemed to have sorted it for now but it may turn out to be a quick fix. I changed the I.P adress of my laptop in network sharing and just kept the gateway and dns settings the same as listed on the router. Hopefully it should work, was streaming vidoes off my laptop to my xbox via tversity and it was working away grand.

Advertisement