Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump on dogs neck

Options
  • 28-08-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Found a lump on my dogs neck there a few weeks ago and brought her straight to the vet. €365 euro later, she's had blood tests, allergy tests and two rounds of anti-biotics and it's still there (bloods were clear).

Next steps are if it gets any bigger, to have it biopsied and sent to London for testing. They've said they wouldn't want to do it as it would be intrusive due to where it is :/

Has anyone had similar experiences? I'm contemplating bringing her up North to get looked at. If it cost €365 for testing her, the biopsy will cost a fortune. Any reasonable vets around North County Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

One of my dogs has a lump on her side, I've had the vet look at it and she said it's nothing to worry about but to monitor it, if it changed shape, size or got inflamed then I was to bring her back.

Is the lump on your dog changing or growing? Maybe just monitor it unless you're very worried about it. Sometimes I think modern technology makes us very worried unless we can find a cause for everything, but not everything has an easy explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Thanks for the reply. We got the same advice from the vet too but it's gotten bigger I think, it's hard to tell when you're feeling it all the time but I purposely didn't for the last week and I'm almost certain it's gotten bigger.

I called around a few vets and spoke to one back home in Limerick, he said he'd take it out and then send it off for testing. The vet in Dublin we use wants to test it first and go from there but sure that means two operations for the little thing instead of one, not to mention twice the price!

So she's booked in for Limerick now, fingers crossed it all goes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Juliet

Hi I know how it feels. You need to bring her to UVH - it's the university hospital for pets in Dublin (part of UCD). My dog had an oral tumour and had it removed last week and they were fantastic. They will do the biopsy and check lymph nodes. They may also do a CT scan if necessay. No point in bringing your dog to a vet as they don't have the equipment for out the ordinary stuff. My vet wouldn't treat the problem at all and I had to ask for a referrel which she wasn't even happy to give. I will never go back there again. The best of luck. I hope you get a good outcome.

Advertisement