Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's Gavin Duffy talks lycra

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Not even my 'almost as good as being naked' argument?

Oh well, I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Boys & Girls,
    I have repeated myself again and again. I have NO issues with you wearing lycra. It doesn't matter a ****e to me. But in the context of a fully informed discussion, there have been no real arguements for any particular need to wear Lycra.

A number of people have said they wear it for comfort, does that not count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

there have been no real arguements for any particular need to wear Lycra.

There's no need to commute on carbon fibre, or duraace, but it can be done right?

There's no need to brush a horse's hair before taking to the muddy fields and lanes, but it's done right?
    Liamo08 wrote: »
    What exactly do your "good cycling shorts" look like if they don't have lycra in them and are not figure hugging?

Interested in the answer to this too. Pics or GTFO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Boys & Girls,
    I have repeated myself again and again. I have NO issues with you wearing lycra. It doesn't matter a ****e to me. But in the context of a fully informed discussion, there have been no real arguements for any particular need to wear Lycra.

yes, you've repeated, but still not answered the question as to what your cycling shorts are like if they aren't figure hugging or lycra?

As for why tight, it's the most comfortable on the bike for longer distances, and for shorter ones, it's just kinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

yes, you've repeated, but still not answered the question as to what your cycling shorts are like if they aren't figure hugging or lycra?

They look like regular shorts - some black, some are other colours. I generally wear cycle clothing that does not look unusual off the bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

They look like regular shorts - some black, some are other colours. I generally wear cycle clothing that does not look unusual off the bike...

Fred :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭rflynnr

My tuppence worth (and an attempt to directly address Bluefoam's request for an explanation as to why figure-hugging clothing might be worn on a bike).

I don't particularly like wearing lycra as I basically don't have the lean, bronzed body which is a prerequisite for actually looking in it. (Actually the kind of body I'm thinking of - male or female - would look good in or out of more of less any clothing). Nonetheless there are two cycling contexts in which I simply cannot contemplate wearing anything else:

1. On the road bike. If I'm cycling for anything between 90 minutes and 8 hours two factors come to the fore: discomfort and fatigue. Figure-hugging, flexible and reasonably breathable clothing minimises the discomfort. However, such clothing also ensures I present the smallest possible wind profile. The difference between say a t-shirt and a cycling jersey might seem small in this respect but over the course of a longer cycle the extra wind resistance thrown up by the t-shirt would become a frustrating encumbrance.

This isn't something that was immediately obvious to me. When I started moving in road-biking about 15 years ago I basically wore generic gym gear. Only as I went on longer and longer rides did the benefits of less bulky clothing become obvious.

2. Cycling touring. Basically see above on discomfort. Fatigue is less of an issue as I'm rarely going fast enough while touring to really feel any significant "pull" from the wind. However, if I'm covering 100+ kilometres day after day comfort really comes to the fore. And for the life of me I've yet to find an alternative to lycra (or whatever) that comes remotely close to the comfort it offers. (I have contemplated the rather natty touring shorts Rapha do but unless I see a pair second hand I'm unlikely to have the financial resources to shell out on a pair).

@ Bluefoam: does that address your question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

So are they padded, or are they just regular shorts? Have you got a link? (I'm genuinely curious)

So are they padded, or are they just regular shorts? Have you got a link? (I'm genuinely curious)

I have a few pairs. Some with padding, some without. They are all cycling spacific...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

I have a few pairs. Some with padding, some without. They are all cycling spacific...

Are you talking about something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40476 ?

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Are you talking about something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40476 ?

no

no

Ach, that's just teasing.

Gizalook at yer shorts mister.

:rolleyes:

Heres one pair:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/2758301875_3e7db8c410.jpg?v=0

Heres another:
    http://www.awcycles.co.uk/images/endura/strackLds09.jpg These are MTB shorts, but I wear them mostly for road cycling - very comfortable.

BTW thats not me in the photo

BTW thats not me in the photo

Moody looking chap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

OK, so we've established you have no problem with cycle specific clothing. Your issue appears to be why wear tight clothing.

Well, for one tight shorts hold my bits in place. That along with the chamois mean I lessen the chances of developing suppurating boils on my arse. As for the jersey, I don't like my clothing flapping around in the wind, but that's just personal preference.

But if it's come down to this, let me ask you one question Bluefoam. Why wear loose fitting clothing on the bike if tight fitting gear will work just as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I used to wear baggy shorts on the bike. However, I found that in wet weather I would end up with wet material flapping repeatedly against my legs which got old really fast.

As for the figure-hugging, I reckon I'm curvy enough I should show it off...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

I have to admit, I felt like a bit of a tool when I first went tight. That trip into the shop for a banana and a flapjack queuing with all the "normals" was an uncomfortable experience. Not any more though, I just got over it. Anyway there are so many neon Lycra(tm) clad folk of all ages, genders and sizes zipping about on their Govt sponsored push bikes now that there's no need to be baggy when you can slip through the wind like a pink cheeked (that's if you go for the pink shorts) slippy thing.

Bluefoam, I think you need to try tight.

Advertisement