Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The League of Irelands future.

• 28-08-2010 12:47pm

I do have a genuine interest in the league and how it will progress, I'm not what you'd call a fan of any team in particular, but I do worry about the progress of the league and I want to know about the youth in the league, who are the biggest prospects coming through right now and who'd be good enough to progress at a higher level?

I know there are certain players already established at the bigger sides in the league who've enough quality to be in England's 2nd Division, players in the mould of Paddy Madden, Conor Powell, Padraig Amond, I don't know the players all too well, but for the League of Ireland fans on here, who do you think has it to ply his trade at a higher level and what do they have about the to "make it"?

(probably not an appropriate thread title, I know)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Think they would play a lot higher than that tbh.

Fahey went from Pats to premiership player in 6 months, anyone who seen play for pats could instantly see the guy was **** hot going forward.

Stevens from Rovers could be a great player if he learned how to defend. Mac Allister at pats is another who could make it over there. Richie Ryan at sligo stands out for me.

I would be thinking bottom half of Prem/Champo level for these players.

Thanks but what do they have about them thats "special" so to say? You have to look at Fahey and his transition, its odd to think he was an attacking livewire a few months ago at St. Pats and now he's considered a defensive winger with not an awful lot of attacking nous.

Touch, the reason they get paid to play and we dont :D

Fahey plays wherever hes told, Brum are not a flowing attacking team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

From a Fingal point of view, The three lads who could play at a higher level would be Shaun Williams (mid) Ronan Finn (mid) and Possibly Kenny Browne (def).
    They have probably been our best 3 players this year.

Williams is a very gifted footballer who is very calm on the ball, good passer and always seems to create time for himself in the middle of the park. Brilliant striker of the ball as well.

Ronan Finn is different to Williams in the sense that he has very quick feet and never lets himself or the ball stop moving. Very skilfull with the ball at his feet and with a few twists and turns he is away from the oppostion player/s. Very good attacking midfielder and a joy to watch.

Kenny Browne is a great defender playing in a defense who have forgotten how to defend tbh. I feel sorry for him as he barely puts a foot wrong and yet some stupid pass back or silly goalkeeping error denies the defender the clean sheets his play deserves. Wins everything in the air and on the ground and reads the game very well.

These players are all under 25 years of age if im not mistaken

Do you not think Shane McFaul has it in him to make it at a higher level? I've heard a lot about him from last year as he was one of your stand out players (I'm led to beleive)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Do you not think Shane McFaul has it in him to make it at a higher level? I've heard a lot about him from last year as he was one of your stand out players (I'm led to beleive)

Yeah the guy is good and sometimes very good. It just seems he has gone off the boil a little over the last month or so. He has struggled with a few injuries lately so that is probably the reason.

The two midfielders I mentioned though just seem to have that little extra, in saying that I wouldnt be surprised to see Mc Faul move to a higher level either.

Finn is definitley the one who stands out most. The guy is just brilliant to watch. Very gifted footballer. There has already been some interest from Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Finn definitely, great player, maybe needs to beef up a bit, if he does that he could easily cut it in the SPL and the bottom of the Prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I know there are certain players already established at the bigger sides in the league who've enough quality to be in England's 2nd Division, players in the mould of Paddy Madden, Conor Powell, Padraig Amond, I don't know the players all too well, but for the League of Ireland fans on here, who do you think has it to ply his trade at a higher level and what do they have about the to "make it"?

(probably not an appropriate thread title, I know)

Are you saying league two is a "higher level" than the premier division?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are you saying league two is a "higher level" than the premier division?

Thought he meant the Championship myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I know there are certain players already established at the bigger sides in the league who've enough quality to be in England's 2nd Division, players in the mould of Paddy Madden, Conor Powell, Padraig Amond,

Jurys very much out on Madden and Powell, Powells defending lets him down, Madden has potential but despite 15 goals this season could be a lot more prolific.

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Thought he meant the Championship myself.

I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Peers Ryan Amond and possibly McCabe and Foran for us

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

bohsman wrote: »
    Jurys very much out on Madden and Powell, Powells defending lets him down, Madden has potential but despite 15 goals this season could be a lot more prolific.
    Powells gone backwards this seson for me, last season he was very solid but he's been getting caught out constantly now.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Powells gone backwards this seson for me, last season he was very solid but he's been getting caught out constantly now.

Yep, completely different player than we saw last season. Rumors were that Fenlon was gonna take him to Dundee, and it just got to his head. Was great for us last season, but anyone with a shred of pace has no problem getting by him now. Wouldn't mind even seeing him in a reserve game on the left side of midfield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Stevens from Rovers could be a great player if he learned how to defend.

Well if Glen Johnson can make a career out of it.. ;)

dfx- wrote: »
    Well if Glen Johnson can make a career out of it.. ;)

Heard hes coming back to us, left before Mahon signed and doesnt like Oneill. Wouldnt mind him tbh cracking player going forward. Assumed you lot would have sold him if you could bring him on a bit certainly didnt get any better with us last season.

We have been fubared for LB all season, most of our games with have Lynch a right footer there as Bermos head hasnt been right (hangovers i guess :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Jimmy Keohane has just left The Youths to join Bristol City. He has a fair chance of making the grade but has not made their match day squad yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

By any chance is he a big tall blonde lad? Around 18/19?

By any chance is he a big tall blonde lad? Around 18/19?
    Nope, this is Jimmy http://www.fais.ie/international/1/boys-international/profile/97/jimmy-keohane
    You might be thinking of Danny Furlong http://www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie/squad.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cheers it was Kevin Rowe I was thinking of. :-o The average age of your squad is like a youth team!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cheers it was Kevin Rowe I was thinking of. :-o The average age of your squad is like a youth team!

''Wexford Youths''

:D

And getting younger. We lost some senior players, so the older U20s have been drafted in. The U20 squad is full of 17 & 18 year olds. It's a side effect of being an amateur club. There will always be a high turnover of players when some leave for college, work or an offer of a few Euro to play elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Am I correct in saying Rovers can buy Amond back any time for a set fee? :) I though M'ON let him go prematurely but surely he'll be interested in taking him back for next season on his current form.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying Rovers can buy Amond back any time for a set fee? :) I though M'ON let him go prematurely but surely he'll be interested in taking him back for next season on his current form.

Not anymore going to portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

oldyouth wrote: »
    Jimmy Keohane has just left The Youths to join Bristol City. He has a fair chance of making the grade but has not made their match day squad yet
    but i thought thats because bristol said they need to work on his fitness first so im guessing it will be a month or two before he makes the squad

Advertisement