Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argh! Fighting Game Stress & Quirks!

Options
  • 28-08-2010 1:24pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

List your quirks and irkes when playing FG's!

Not sure if many people will relate but... Well, I used to be a 40 a day smoker... It's not a laughing matter but it is quite amusing to notice that this increases tenfold with StreetFighter 4, whereas any other game in my vast collection doesn't incur that need for a smoke.

Seriously - A typical fight lasts between 1.5-3mins and I find I'm lighting one between each game, one after the other. On one occasion I had smoked 20 within a single short SF4 session and left myself with none for the next day, all because some bloke was putting up a good fight.

In addition, I find I get more aware of discomforts before each fight, like if my jumper isn't 100% comfortable, like something is out of place, the sleeve needs to be moved, rolled up, pulled down etc etc It's funny how as soon as that 5second VS screen boots up and the commentator starts yapping, I suddenly just realize SOMETHING has to be done before the fight starts and there's some mad rush to get comfy.

On top of that I find I fight less effectively if I don't have headphones on and the volume at the right level (which, for me, is just short of ear-drum destroying as I love high volume during the fights).

Fighting Games also remain the only genre to encourage an enraged or frustrated state. I used to suffer that with other games in the past when I was much younger (much like I assume most people took gaming at the time) but that eventually mellowed out and I became a passive natured gamer with age - Until SF4 was released and people started commenting about how they thought someone else was with me in the room because I was ranting and raving and swearing like a depraved lunatic (at the monitor).

Thankfully I'm still not bad enough to go punching my chair or throwing my PC out the window but I've literally screamed into my hands at one point when losing thanks to some stupid ****. Can easily laugh about it now but at the time I'd be so angry.

So... Yeah, not a new topic but it may be fun if people post their little quirks, like squirming in their chair or getting so into it their face is a mere inch from the monitor, stuff like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I am really particular about chair height (and thus knee height). Anyone who's gone to xgc will know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Fighting Games also remain the only genre to encourage an enraged or frustrated state. I used to suffer that with other games in the past when I was much younger (much like I assume most people took gaming at the time) but that eventually mellowed out and I became a passive natured gamer with age - Until SF4 was released and people started commenting about how they thought someone else was with me in the room because I was ranting and raving and swearing like a depraved lunatic (at the monitor).

I mellowed out as I got older and then when I got into Street Fighter, the anger started again. And its with every game I play. Luckily my friends find it hilarious when I get angry, one time a couple of us went over to a friends house and we had nothing to do, so he gave me a controller, popped in Mortal Kombat vs DC, and sat in a chair facing me.

When in tournaments, I slap my legs to psyche myself up after a round. If I get hit by a DP or a Flash Kick, I shake my head not saying: "No that was bull**** how dare he AA me" but rather "Why did I jump? Idiot"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

The only time I've ever gotten angry at the game was with IV online. Sometimes it's just too funny.

When learning stick and not being able to SRK on P1 side as efficiently as P2 side, and I would literally have to stop for a second and think about what I was doing when I needed a SRK for P1 side, lol. People would jump and I'd be like

DERP.jpg

either SRKing too late and getting hit or getting a hadoken or some ****. Over it now though, was hella annoying though

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

A sprinter in the field will never let the material on his track suit bother him, or a pianist will never let the piano anger him into unseeded frustration or need a cigarette between each movement.

get used to all the extra things you notice when you're concentration on a task, one for me is an itchy nose and back and also my seating position. when it happens decide immediately if you want to do something, scratch or not, move or not, then after that forget about it. when you get used to making decisions and "training" yourself to stick by them, you wont be such a slave to your nerves.

it;s vary rarly you see a musician or athlete need to scratch an itch or be bothered into nuisance by something it's something everying can do, if you were a cave man and your entire family's dinner is a spear throw away, or a gigantic lion is nearby but unaware of you, your body lets you know everything it can so you can make good decisions on how to act: your elbow is sore, your standing funny, your nose is itchy you could do with using the bathroom in a few minutes time. you fix what you can without being killed and ignore the rest.

if your jumper is itchy between right, choose to ignore it. It;s sounds weird, but it just sort of happens, I'm constantly scratching and sneezing, but I can go en entire nights gig without sneezing, needing to use the bathroom or having anything bother me which other wise would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Thats some deep shit right there lol :cool:

When reading the part about playing a gig and being able to ignore such stuff I couldnt help but think of your one from black eyed peed herself :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

When myself and my brother were younger we had a scrub rule where you weren't allowed to perform the same move more than twice in a row, which prevented fireball spamming and kept games fun (as scrub rules always do). That rule became so entrenched in my brain that it still affects my play style today. I'm not a slave to it, but if the same move gets the opponent twice in a row, chances are I'll break off and try something different. I like to think it keeps me unpredictable.

I like to think a lot of things.

That, and I can't perform double quarter rolls from the left-hand side. I'll usually try to get over to the P2 side when my meter fills. For the love of God, I hope nobody who plays SSF4 reads this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Ive something wierd when it comes to my watch, if im winning well i dont notice it but when it comes to a tense match or i lose i look at it as if it was my watches fault and i take it off straight away. Its like as if i put it on mid match...

Also out of all my games ssf4 is the one that gets my blood boiling. I can go from heaven to hell in a game or two. According to my friends i have invented a new type of anger called "Rob Rage". I actually quite like the sound of that tho haha :pac:

But saying that, all of the above is when i play ranked/online, in person i actually enjoy myself and the game and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

I honestly believe the writer for 28 days later saw rob crack up and then thought about how scary it would be if it was a virus. ;)

Everytime I lose at that game online, I tend to take off something. Startws off with taking off a wristband and eventually I'm just wearing socks! If only i could do this at Inferno, just think of the mindgames! Its the only game I play that it causes me to sweat. Makes me feel really unhealthy... Also, and this is the most important one, if I'm playing online, my girlfriend isnt allowed talk to me for the sake of our relationship!

Sisko wrote: »
    Thats some deep shit right there lol :cool:

When reading the part about playing a gig and being able to ignore such stuff I couldnt help but think of your one from black eyed peed herself :p

thats the other end: when you're so good at blocking **** out that you try to walk of a broken bone, or develop mysterious bruises after a gig.

I've never heard of someone pissing themselves though!
    When myself and my brother were younger we had a scrub rule where you weren't allowed to perform the same move more than twice in a row, which prevented fireball spamming and kept games fun (as scrub rules always do). That rule became so entrenched in my brain that it still affects my play style today. I'm not a slave to it, but if the same move gets the opponent twice in a row, chances are I'll break off and try something different. I like to think it keeps me unpredictable.

Scrub rules are hell! and they come out of no where, me and my brother have a strange one in tekken it's "you musn't win a KO with those take down tackle punches". y'know, when you run it to somebody and take them down you get the opportunity to press LP, RP, LP, RP etc.

Now when I'm fighting online if the take down works and the punches would achieve KO, as a reflex, I don't follow up with the punches. Strange...

I also let the percentage of wins the opponent has (in tekken) effect how I play against, I just assume higher percentages means poking and juggle combos, and lower is grabbing and ground work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

My main habit is striking the buttons a-rythmically between rounds.

I picked it up in the arcades, I think people used it as a psyche tactic. but now I do it even when I am alone (check out some of my inputs on my online vids before a fight).

As per positioning et al, I really don't get put out often. I can usually flick on the focus button and I am 100% in the game. I can do this in any seat and with most sticks and with considerable background noise. Again I suppose, the product of hours and hours per week in an arcade fighting for your 20 pence credits in champ edition :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I know for a fact if I went to a tourny or even just a mass gathering for casuals, I wouldn't be able to play with people around me or background noise.

I'm just too used to having my headphones on, volume up and getting right into it.

Many people do this at tournaments, seen it so much I barely even notice at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Thanks to my (awesome) Seimitsu buttons and Doom's cam, you can hear me being nervy or salty at the NI tourney, drumming my buttons and jiggling my stick right before the matches and on the load screens...

Other than that, I get real salty real quick, and it leads me to fudging my games under pressure. Sometimes I plug music at those times...

But in general, I only used to get proper nerves back when I was super-serious about Warcraft 3 solo tournaments, trying to get everything planned for every single probability and what I would do about them. I find fighting games are a lot easier to approach than strategy games...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Voa wrote: »
    But in general, I only used to get proper nerves back when I was super-serious about Warcraft 3 solo tournaments, trying to get everything planned for every single probability and what I would do about them. I find fighting games are a lot easier to approach than strategy games...

I'm the opposite. I always approached Starcraft and Warcraft with an attitude of "I can't deal with everything but I can do x,y and z. If it goes wrong I can adapt this" whereas with fighting games I feel more like I should in control of every possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

For me a big problem unique to fighting games, because of the fast pace... and I guess distrance from the xbox. Is people walking in front of the screen. It's all i can do to spam lps before the person is gone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

If I do something stupid and get hit or thrown I'll usually shift the fight stick on my lap (as if that's going to affect my mindset).

To standup quickly, I'll often mash buttons in frustration as well (thankfully I've avoided SRKs coming out!)

If I'm playing online and I get drawn against an Irish flag, I get more nervous - If it's a name I recognise from boards, the game is almost as good as lost unfortunately.

The last one is more recent and is only in live games...but I will be more fidgety. i.e. If I lose, there might be shaking of the head, winning can result in a heavy sigh of relief, etc...Unfortunately today, I did a little fist pump against Burning Eclipse......and immediately felt badly about it!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Had that yesterday. As unviable a combo as it is, my favourite has always been Rog's overhead>short>headbutt.

That's not an unviable combo at all, that should be in your mind as a bnb (apart from the characters it doesn't work on).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I've never heard of someone pissing themselves though!

172497d1273720288-stupidest-things-you-have-ever-heard-during-session-fergie-piss-pants-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    The last one is more recent and is only in live games...but I will be more fidgety. i.e. If I lose, there might be shaking of the head, winning can result in a heavy sigh of relief, etc...Unfortunately today, I did a little fist pump against Burning Eclipse......and immediately felt badly about it!

Lol, no worries man! :p

I get very nervous when playing live against Sabre (but not others for some reason), certainly causes stress in the Munster League for me!

In terms of playing online, i'm usually really calm when I start my session, but if I lose to a player that I feel I should be beating, I become annoyed.

I find that playing online just doesn't do it for me. If I loose to someone and played poorly, I tilt. If I win an easy match, there's no joy in it. Only things I enjoy are close matches where I just about win. Which makes up only a fraction of all games.

Advertisement