Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a ridiculous statement?

• 28-08-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

The statement:
    Devil08 wrote: »
    I wouldnt put Fabregas and Scholes in the same breath just yet, Fabregas isnt fit to shine Scholes' boots.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67711516&postcount=6440

Scholes is a more successful and ultimately better player based on his career so far. This is not up for the discussion.

Fabregas isnt fit to shine Scholes' boots 73 votes

Fair and reasonable statement
    0%
    Ridiculous and biased statement
    45%
    SickBoyFenixMossinpickarooneyFighting IrishThird_Echelonneacy69xtal191Reganio 2Josey WaleselgriffOrdinary manMagicMarkerThat_GuygrenacheSRFC90IvySlayerBigBenRoethkearneybobstitan18 33 votes
    Beyond ridiculous. Completely retarded statement.
    54%
    Drag00n79HelixKingp35Brando_ietap28Dave147TristramMelioneZe^Benzinoaidan24326GillingtoncarlopSK1979Blackhorse SlimGonzovisionmickosS.R.F.C.HalloweenJackLukker- 40 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The statement:

"Fabregas isnt fit to shine Scholes' boots"

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

yes

end thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Too early to tell really. Give it 10 years and then re-assess, right now I wouldn't have Fab up at Scholes level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Replace the word 'statement' with 'thread', and you get a big, fat, resounding yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Isn't this a ridiculous thread/poll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Archimedes wrote: »
    Replace the word 'statement' with 'thread', and you get a big, fat, resounding yes.

It's a slow day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yes of course. Pure troll statement.

He's a bit ahead of Scholes at their respective ages in their careers, but will have had a great career if he manages to play to the level as Scholes has for so long. Fabregas has all the tools to become the best player in the world. Scholes has been the best English footballer (and indeed one of the best of any nationality) of his generation and will go down as one of the finest players in United's history. They're both unbelieveable footbllers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fabregas is the only player I've seen in the premiership who actually reminds me of Paul Scholes. His control of the game isn't quite as good, and he's a little bit softer and unwilling to deal with a tough tackling game, however he has more in his locker when it comes to assists I think, although less in terms of goal scoring.

Nonetheless, I think he's a cracking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Frisbee wrote: »
    Too early to tell really. Give it 10 years and then re-assess, right now I wouldn't have Fab up at Scholes level.

Agreed completely . . Fab has the quality and potential, no doubt, but the longevity of Scholes top performances sets him aside from most top players these days . . You dont play for the period that Scholes has in the heart of arguably the most successful team in British/European history if you arent a top top quality player. Also, you dont generally see teams like England begging 35 year olds out of retirement!

I think alot of people (generally those who follow sky hyperbole and younger generation) dont really appreciate Scholes quality because he doesnt shave his legs, doesnt go out on the piss and get in trouble, doesnt wear bling bling and keeps well away from the spotlight. He is the most professional footballer you will ever get and its just something that people cant understand or appreciate. .

I also think your choice in the poll left people with little option to give a reasonable vote . . Why not have an option "Scholes has a proven successful career, but Fabrecas could potentially match it" or something like that . . A pool fan disgusted with a United player being bigged up . . Theres a shocker . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It's a slow day :)

I hope you get the completely unbiased insight your looking for here, but I don't fancy your chances! :o

For what it's worth, I think Fabregas is awfully close to Scholes at his best. As a player gets older, his progression will inevitably slow - kinda like growing - the better you get, the less noticeable the improvements are, like decreasing returns. Fab is probably around 90% of the way to his peak, which when he reaches it will be on the same level as Scholes at his best. Their both fantastic players and not a whole lot between them. The only thing at the moment that would separate them for me is Scholes can hack a physical game better than Fabregas, which is key in this league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Fabregas has not reached the level of Scoles at his best. Yet.

When all is said and done, Cesc may well have surpassed both Xavi and Scholes. He has all the tools to be the best player in the world at some point.

In terms of talent, it is daft to say Fabregas is not fit to shine Scholes boots.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I think the moderators and long time users know where this troll attempting thread is going.

Give it a page or two, I certainly won't get sucked into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did someone suggest Fab wasn't fit to shine Scholes boots?

Beyond ridiculous, its ludicrous.

Beyond ridiculous, its ludicrous.

If you mean this thread is ludicrous , I agree . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote: »
    Did someone suggest Fab wasn't fit to shine Scholes boots?

Added the quote to the original post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh balls, I clicked the 'Fair and reasonable statement' by accident :o It's a retarded statement.

Both are fantastic players. If picking a fantasy prem league team, where age don't count, Scholes would be my first midfielder.

Fab would get more assits, but Scholsey can hit the ball far better. Fab will be the new Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

Personally I would love to see Fabregas replace scholes at Utd. Scholes has had a great career and Fabregas is just getting better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Scholes has not been the same player for the past 3 years.

The english media are having a love in now for him it seems after one or two good games this season.

One example is Match of The Day picked out some of the thinks he did in the Fulham game.

Granted he did play ok but they were talking about clips showing him pick out an obvious pass with no pressure on him as if he had done something out of this world.

He is a good player but not fit to lace Xavi's boots imo

He is a good player but not fit to lace Xavi's boots imo

Ah now, Dont give somebody else a reason to start a stupid "Is this a ridiculous statement" thread ! ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I think it's a fair statement....Look at all Scholes has achieved.

Fabregas is only starting his career and all he has won is a Euro championship and one of those stupid World Cups.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Boot-shining requires not only a fair bit of physical effort but an eye for detail and a heck of a gollyer. As a Catalan, Fabregas' phlegm-producing muscles would be much less developed than a 'normal' Spaniard so I think it's fair to see he probably would not do a great job on Scholes' boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The thing that annoys me most about this thread is it's given rise to more use of the word "hyperbole".

Stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think what the poster meant was that in terms of silverware Fab is far behind Scholes (but then again Fabregas has been in a very successful Spain side) but ability-wise he isn't far off. He also has time on his side. It isn't retarded but it's hard to be so certain that Fabregas won't be as good as Scholes in his prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

who the fo*k cares, does it matter who thinks which player is better. Everyone will have a different opinion and its pointless even argueing about it

heres something to argue about, purple or orange, which is your favourite and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

MUSEIST wrote: »
    who the fo*k cares, does it matter who thinks which player is better. Everyone will have a different opinion and its pointless even argueing about it

heres something to argue about, purple or orange, which is your favourite and why?

It's a football forum. These sort of things do get discussed. It's sort of the point of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Colours Forum that way --->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Don't think its a fair assesment really, nobody Fabregases age is "fit to shine Scholes boots", Paul Scholes has been a fantastic player for the past 15 years or so and he has the medals and awards to back it up. Fabregas on the other hand, does not (yet anyway) despite arguably being as good a footballer.

He might be very good at football, but he might be really bad at polishing boots.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Don't think its a fair assesment really, nobody Fabregases age is "fit to shine Scholes boots", Paul Scholes has been a fantastic player for the past 15 years or so and he has the medals and awards to back it up. Fabregas on the other hand, does not (yet anyway) despite arguably being as good a footballer.

Exactly. Its a ridiculous statement because the ability of both players is arguably the same but the stages of their careers is in complete contrast.

I'd reserve that statement for players of similar type and ages, it makes no sense to use it in this context imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Fab has one the World cup and the European cup. Scholes would trade it all in for just one of those. Nuff said.

Fab has one the World cup and the European cup. Scholes would trade it all in for just one of those. Nuff said.

This maybe a can of worms but Fabregas was a squad player in Spain's success at both those tournaments. Its like referring to Juninho's World Cup medal if you ask me

Are you sure? He turned down the chance to play in the World Cup this year and retired early from playing for England to concentrate on his Utd career. Hardly the actions of a guy dying to win the World Cup/Euros.

I'd say he's happy out with a list of trophies as long as your arm playing for his local club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Dempsey wrote: »
    This maybe a can of worms but Fabregas was a squad player in Spain's success at both those tournaments. Its like referring to Juninho's World Cup medal if you ask me
    He set up the winning goal in a WC final, so he made a telling contribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,808 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Fabregas holds far more international honours than Scholes, even at his young age and some of his assists and goals have been directly responsible for those honours.

While he doesnt have the same level of trophies in the English game, he's only really starting out.

His passing abilty and shooting ability are better than Scholes in my opinion, however he doesnt have the same presense as scholes just yet, but he will.
    He can tackle and in my opnion is a far better tackler than Scholes as well.

Ultimately however he will most likely spend the best part of Career in Spain, where we wont see enough of him.

So to me, yes, it is a ridiculous statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Both of them together would be a superb midfield.

Scholes is the best english player i ahve ever seen, Cesc is special they would play tother very well imo. Cesc likes the left side of CM and scholes the right side.

Wouldnt win many tackles tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

The statement:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67711516&postcount=6440

Scholes is a more successful and ultimately better player based on his career so far. This is not up for the discussion.

Taken totally out of context and the choices in the poll are also unfair. Scholes has done alot more throughout his career than Fabregas has, but Scholes is playing nearly as long as Fabregas has been alive!!!! IMO Fabregas cannot hit pinpoint 40-50 yard diagonal balls like Scholes and for that he will always be just short of being an equal to the legend that is Paul Scholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

killwill wrote: »
    Taken totally out of context and the choices in the poll are also unfair. Scholes has done alot more throughout his career than Fabregas has, but Scholes is playing nearly as long as Fabregas has been alive!!!! IMO Fabregas cannot hit pinpoint 40-50 yard diagonal balls like Scholes and for that he will always be just short of being an equal to the legend that is Paul Scholes.

Alex Song sweeping up behind=Sorted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Never in a month of Sundays!!!!

iMuse wrote: »
    He set up the winning goal in a WC final, so he made a telling contribution

In that match yes, in that tournament, not so much. Spain were put in finals on the back of stellar performances from other Spanish players. He wasnt a key or prominent player in Spain's success of either tournament

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    In that match yes, in that tournament, not so much. Spain were put in finals on the back of stellar performances from other Spanish players. He wasnt a key or prominent player in Spain's success of either tournament

I may be wrong but was it the SF of Euro 2008 were he was absolutely great and pulled Spain through.

Spain won all three of their group games and met Italy in the quarter-finals. In that match, Fàbregas scored the winning penalty in the penalty shoot-out after the teams remained deadlocked 0–0 after extra time. In the semi-finals, Spain defeated Russia 3–0 with Fàbregas providing two assists. The midfielder made the starting eleven in the final against Germany where Spain prevailed 1–0; this was Spain's first major title since 1964. For his efforts, Fàbregas was named in the Team of the Tournament, a 23-man squad selected by the UEFA Technical Team.

peabutler wrote: »
    I may be wrong but was it the SF of Euro 2008 were he was absolutely great and pulled Spain through.

Spain won all three of their group games and met Italy in the quarter-finals. In that match, Fàbregas scored the winning penalty in the penalty shoot-out after the teams remained deadlocked 0–0 after extra time. In the semi-finals, Spain defeated Russia 3–0 with Fàbregas providing two assists. The midfielder made the starting eleven in the final against Germany where Spain prevailed 1–0; this was Spain's first major title since 1964. For his efforts, Fàbregas was named in the Team of the Tournament, a 23-man squad selected by the UEFA Technical Team.

Fabregas did zip until the knock out stage but I'd give most credit to Torres and Villa in 2008, they made everything look easy. I'd reserve the title of absolutely great for Xavi, he won midfielder of the tournament and rightly so. Fabregas played well but not stand out, especially compared to some of his teammates.

My point is, you can just refer to medals received as a reason why a player is better than another. There are more factors than that If thats the case, Djimi Traore is a legend! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

kippy wrote: »
    Fabregas holds far more international honours than Scholes, even at his young age and some of his assists and goals have been directly responsible for those honours.

He was a squad player who got little to no playtime...

kippy wrote: »
    So to me, yes, it is a ridiculous statement.

Indeed it is, both are astonishing footballers, the problem is one has done it for 15 years and the other hasn't of yet,though surely will do...Fabregas will go to Barca ,then what ? Iniesta is only 26, plenty of years left in him.He won't be a replacement for Xavi as they are different types of players.If i was to compare any of them it would be Iniesta and Scholes, not to say Xavi isn't a class player but he doesn't hold the technical ability of those 2, 3 if including Fabragas.
    Fabragas saw first team footballl at an earlier age but hasn't contributed anything to Arsenal in terms of success compared to Scholes.
    Scholes made his breakthrough and was hugely influential in Uniteds continued success from then on.

I think the problem with most people here is that Scholes is regarded as the best English player of his generation and it doesn't bode well with their allegiances tbh. ;)

d22ontour wrote: »
    He was a squad player who got little to no playtime...

Indeed it is, both are astonishing footballers, the problem is one has done it for 15 years and the other hasn't of yet,though surely will do...Fabregas will go to Barca ,then what ? Iniesta is only 26, plenty of years left in him.He won't be a replacement for Xavi as they are different types of players.If i was to compare any of them it would be Iniesta and Scholes, not to say Xavi isn't a class player but he doesn't hold the technical ability of those 2, 3 if including Fabragas.
    Fabragas saw first team footballl at an earlier age but hasn't contributed anything to Arsenal in terms of success compared to Scholes.
    Scholes made his breakthrough and was hugely influential in Uniteds continued success from then on.

I think the problem with most people here is that Scholes is regarded as the best English player of his generation and it doesn't bode well with their allegiances tbh. ;)

WRONG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

peabutler wrote: »
    WRONG

Please enlighten me with how many minutes he played in this years world cup ?He was a squad player, nothing more, this year.
    If people are trying to say having more international honours includes winning the European championships compares to winning Champions leagues then please do, for the laughs like.Only the World cup can compare/surpass the Champions league and even then the prestige is pretty close.

Whilst I agree with you on the Fabregas issue, If you ask me WC >> UCL, its not even an argument in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

d22ontour wrote: »
    Xavi doesn't hold the technical ability of those 2, 3 if including Fabragas.

I'd say a few people would disagree with you there mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eZe^ wrote: »
    Xavi is the best midfielder I've seen since Zizou retired. I am +1ing your statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I presume people are talking English born player as regards Scholes and there is no doubt in my mind that Steven Gerrard has been the best English born midfielder over the last decade.

I think Scholes is a great, great player but Gerrard just was incredible.

As regards Fabregas, he probably will surpass Scholes at some stage if injuries don't prevent it. Right now though Scholes has done it and Fab is just starting out.

eZe^ wrote: »

Personally I think Xavi is the best player in the world at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement