Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a new home for 2 litlte dogs

Options
  • 28-08-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi

We have 2 little dogs at home , a black toy poodle(8yr old) and a cross breed who's mother was definitely a yorkie (7yr old) Pepi & Candy . We are looking for a new home for the dogs because after we had our 1st son over 2 and half years ago the poor dogs have been getting less and less of our time and attention ever since.

We are due our 2nd child in November and really feel that it would be best to try find a new home for the dogs because they deserve a little bit more attention than we are able to give them.

We have never been in this position before and just looking for some advice on the best way to go about finding somewhere for them. They are two lovely friendly dogs and will make great companions for the right owner but they can't be seperated as one probably couldn't live with out the other. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

carra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

do you have any pic??also do they have to go to there new home together

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

These type of threads make me so sad. Your poor dogs are 8 and 7 years old. Have you had them since puppies? If so how could you just rehome them?:confused:

Dogs dont need much time as long as they are in the house with you for company. A small walk a day im sure is manageable and im sure if you really wanted to keep these dogs you could.

Its just upsets me how people can just give their pets away for silly reasons like "not enough time".

You will find it very hard to rehome older dogs like this and think of how the poor dogs will feel. You have probably been their owners all their lives and now you are thinking of getting rid of them because you cant make a bit of time for them each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

As the ad says A DOG IS FOR LIFE ! It is a pity to see these poor animals being treated as disposable objects.:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stella2010

sadly we hear this everyday.......:mad:
    pounds and rescues are full of such poor creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

again/// any pics;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What will happen in a few years when your little children ask Santa for a cute little puppy? No doubt he will deliver........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you have no luck rehoming these dogs perhaps you may find it easier rehoming your son . . . existing family members come first as the man says.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Carra23 wrote: »
    Hi

We have 2 little dogs at home , a black toy poodle(8yr old) and a cross breed who's mother was definitely a yorkie (7yr old) Pepi & Candy . We are looking for a new home for the dogs because after we had our 1st son over 2 and half years ago the poor dogs have been getting less and less of our time and attention ever since.

We are due our 2nd child in November and really feel that it would be best to try find a new home for the dogs because they deserve a little bit more attention than we are able to give them.

We have never been in this position before and just looking for some advice on the best way to go about finding somewhere for them. They are two lovely friendly dogs and will make great companions for the right owner but they can't be seperated as one probably couldn't live with out the other. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

carra
    are babies that hard work
    i gave birth to four, reared them single handed, yet i still had my cat and dog, as we were all family pets and all,
    what is wrong with today 20 yrs later, can people not juggle anything anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi

carra

Here we go again!!! :D

Dogs great for a few years until "real" babies come along and suddenly you have not time for them...

yours dogs are 7 and 8 for gods sake how can you even think of getting rid of them! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Cannot belive what i am reading... sad thing is it happens sooo often :mad:

What will happen in a few years when your little children ask Santa for a cute little puppy? No doubt he will deliver........

of course he will.... then when the dog knock the child over... or barks at the child it too will get the chop!!

Cannot believe people still have this throw away menatlity!!

DOGS ARE FOR LIFE!!!! not while thye are cute or the suit your lifestyle!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

The dogs are 7 and 8 years old and are both very small breeds,,how much work does it take to look after them?????,,I'm not trying to be harsh here but they will be great companions to your little kids as they grow and its the best teaching in life for your kids to grow up with animals and to learn to be kind and responsible to them..I know as i have 3 kids and a bunch of pets that have always been around them and they now have a healthy respect for all animals....Please dont give up on your little dogs,,they have loved you for 8 years,,that has to count for something..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

These threads make me so sad:(. As the mum of an 18 month old and a 10 day old and 3 dogs I know there are times when it all seems a bit much but there is no way I would ever give up my dogs.

We take the time to make time for our dogs, get their walks in, play with them etc. Its a bit of extra work but it can be done easily if you really want to. Saying you feel they aren't getting the time they deserve is just an excuse. I'm sure they would be far happier together in a home they know with a bit less time devoted to them, then to be uprooted into a new home at their age. I mean, seriously how much hard work are two older, small dogs.

As others have said you will find it very hard to rehome two older dogs, and even harder if you want them to go together.

Please face up to your resonsibilities and take the time to make time for your dogs. If you really want to make it work you can

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

Totally agree with what eveyone else has said, really hate these attitudes - get dog (to mother before having a "real" baby) have real baby - no longer need dog - get rid of dog :mad::mad:

Makes me sick! As others with small kids AND pets have said "sure its hard, but its not IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

From a childs point of view, I grew up in a house surrounded by dogs of every make and description. I wouldn't have it any other way. Owning these dogs was so important in teaching me life lessons, self disipline, respect, confidence etc.

I can't count the times I came in from school after being given out to by a teacher, or having an arguement with a friend and just sitting with my dogs for a while. It made me feel better every time.

My first experience of death was with pets, difficult losses and heartbreaking to this day but, it certainly helped me cope with a very difficult few years where we had a death in the family every few months.

Please, for the sake of your children, as well as your dogs, reconsider. The companionship and love they will get from the dogs is beyond description. It might be akward at times, but so many people manage and you will never regret keeping them, I think you might regret giving them up though. They're too old to settle elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

OP i think you have posted this in the wrong forum, all you've gotten here is attacked for being cruel. People who have replied: what is your problem with this situation? Its not like she is dumping them somewhere. She is actively looking for advice on how to rehome them, she cares about them. Its disgusting how you would just jump on her and make her feel worse bout the situation. You cant even care for your own species feelings, how can you care so much more for your animals. And the people who replied saying they have looked after kids and animals together, fair enough, your able for it. But Please understand not all people are in the same situation. Some are more equipped to handle it than others.
    Just to say, i love animals, my family always had at least 3 dogs, and all were lifelong members of the family, while i agree its sad that these dogs have to be rehomed, i also think its horrible to accuse the OP of not caring, and trying make an excuse to get rid of them. A little empathy goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

natsuko wrote: »
    OP i think you have posted this in the wrong forum, all you've gotten here is attacked for being cruel. People who have replied: what is your problem with this situation? Its not like she is dumping them somewhere. She is actively looking for advice on how to rehome them, she cares about them. Its disgusting how you would just jump on her and make her feel worse bout the situation. You cant even care for your own species feelings, how can you care so much more for your animals. And the people who replied saying they have looked after kids and animals together, fair enough, your able for it. But Please understand not all people are in the same situation. Some are more equipped to handle it than others.
    Just to say, i love animals, my family always had at least 3 dogs, and all were lifelong members of the family, while i agree its sad that these dogs have to be rehomed, i also think its horrible to accuse the OP of not caring, and trying make an excuse to get rid of them. A little empathy goes a long way.

OK, the brutal facts then.

The pounds and shelters in this country are all full to bursting with unwanted dogs, a lot of them young and very definitely easily rehomable. Two older dogs, that they want to stay together will be incredibly hard to find a new home for. What would be best for the dogs, to go to a rescue and maybe spend the rest of their lives in kennels, with people who are rushed off their feet, trying to spend some time with them every day? Or to stay in the home that they already know, with each other for company and the people that they love trying to spend some time with them every day?

OP, maybe you don't realise how bad the situation is out there, the chances of finding a good home for these two is very, very slim. Please reconsider, these dogs deserve your love now after giving you theirs for so long. They're small dogs, could your OH not take them out every day just for a 20 minute walk in the evenings? Or would you not like a break from the kids for 20 minutes a day, leave him babysitting and go out for a while, as a mother I know that I like to have a break from them and some time for me, which is what walking the dogs has always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

ISDW, i agree with your post and its more along the lines of what i think the OP was looking for, friendly advice even if it is asking her to reconsider. I was more angered at the posts that were less advice more attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

natsuko wrote: »
    I was more angered at the posts that were less advice more attack.

Emotions run high when it comes to issues like this. The people on this forum consider their pets as part of the family (me included) and cant imagine ever not wanting them in their lives. And as far as i can see that is what has happened here, because the OP didnt post and say that they were feeling over whelmed and what can they do, they asked about re-homing.

OP if you do feel like you want to have the little guys in your life there are some things you can do about it. have you considered asking a neighbour to help,is there a teenager in the area that would walk them for a bit of pocket money?? Or is there a neighbour near by who walks their own dog who would maybe consider taking yours along too?? Ive met loads of people who walk their neighbour's dog too.

Im looking into putting my little one in doggie day care for a day or two here and there,just to get her used to the separation as well as other dogs. But its fun for them and not too expensive as a once off,takes the stress off you for a bit as well as being fun for the little guys ;)

I can understand feeling guilty but most times a dog is just happy to be sat beside you in the evening watching telly :D No real effort required!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

andreac wrote: »
    These type of threads make me so sad. Your poor dogs are 8 and 7 years old. Have you had them since puppies? If so how could you just rehome them?:confused:

Dogs dont need much time as long as they are in the house with you for company. A small walk a day im sure is manageable and im sure if you really wanted to keep these dogs you could.

Its just upsets me how people can just give their pets away for silly reasons like "not enough time".

You will find it very hard to rehome older dogs like this and think of how the poor dogs will feel. You have probably been their owners all their lives and now you are thinking of getting rid of them because you cant make a bit of time for them each day.

i have to agree with that. please try and give it another go.those dogs know nothing else only being with you guys and in your house and company.rehome them at that age and it will mess with their minds and they will be sad.i know people will laugh but its true.

they dont need much attention as they are small dogs.just a walk a day and believe me when you have 2 kids you will welcome the walk as you will need the break lol

dont rehome them.think about it some more.even when the kids are 3 and 4 they will love them.im sure the youngest now gets a kick out of them.i know my 4 month old s eyes follow our dog everywhere.

think about it again and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

We took in two dogs recently from a similar situation to yours. The owners decided to rehome the dogs and started looking to find them a new home last April. These are two well-adjusted, small, good-looking dogs, neutered, vaccinated, housetrained. One is about 5 and one is 6.

Well, after four months of trying to rehome them themselves, the owners gave them to us. They are with us a month now and we haven't had one enquiry for them. It is going to take a long time to find them a new home and in the meantime they are in kennels, missing their owners and the comforts of home. All they have left is each other.

If you can find a way to keep them, then please keep them. But if it's a case that you no longer want them, then that's a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Thanks for the tips some really good advice there especially from the person who said why not get rid of our son instead of the dogs, that's a great idea. I think I will google adoption agencies now or better still I might just fly him to Sweeden and have him killed ! ! !

People should't be so quick to judge us and label us and suggest that we just got a dog till the real baby came along. THe dogs are 7 and 8 our son is 2 do the maths there !

None of you who came back with negative posts know the slightest thing about myself or my girlfriend or our situation. We never intended to have 3 dogs you see we just moved in together last year , before I lived at home and she lived at home.

9 years ago my younger sister got a yorkie for her birthday and she never looked after it so I did. The Yorkie had pups one of which my girlfriend took to her house, where she already had the Toy Poodle.

When we moved out of our family homes and into our own house the yorkie came with me and the yorkies pup and the Toy Poodle with my girlfriend. My family have agreed to take our yorkie back home but unfortunatley my girlfriend parents are both dead and she has no family prepared to take the two dogs.

This decision has not been taken lightly and to all the SUPERMOMS who posted about how great they are after raising two kids with out having to get rid of their dogs , fairplay to you pat on the back there but I suppose we are being lazy taking the easy way out ;)

I'll leave you with a famous saying' You;ve got to be cruel to be kind '

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i have to agree with that. please try and give it another go.those dogs know nothing else only being with you guys and in your house and company.rehome them at that age and it will mess with their minds and they will be sad.i know people will laugh but its true.

they dont need much attention as they are small dogs.just a walk a day and believe me when you have 2 kids you will welcome the walk as you will need the break lol

dont rehome them.think about it some more.even when the kids are 3 and 4 they will love them.im sure the youngest now gets a kick out of them.i know my 4 month old s eyes follow our dog everywhere.

think about it again and best of luck.

Cheers nice to hear from someone a little level headed. We have thought about it long and hard and may think some more before anything happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

I don't fully understand your situation,so will describe mine since it's nearly similiar.I am a stay at home father for the time being,to a 2.5 toddler as well as 3 large dogs.I still manage to walk all 3 dogs twice daily,once before the wife goes into work and once at night when she gets home.They also get a run of the back garden throughout the day and playtime with me when my daughter takes her nap.
    So maybe you and your girlfriend can devise a similar schedule?But to me it sounds like you've already turned off the dogs and just want rid of them,I could be wrong though.Point is,it is do-able if you want to keep the dogs.on a plus side,raising kids around dogs has been proven to actually boost a child's immune system according to my daughter's doctor.Just my 2 cents,but I personally wouldn't give up my dogs,just have to sit down and find out how to work a schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thanks for the tips some really good advice there especially from the person who said why not get rid of our son instead of the dogs, that's a great idea. I think I will google adoption agencies now or better still I might just fly him to Sweeden and have him killed ! ! !

People should't be so quick to judge us and label us and suggest that we just got a dog till the real baby came along. THe dogs are 7 and 8 our son is 2 do the maths there !

None of you who came back with negative posts know the slightest thing about myself or my girlfriend or our situation. We never intended to have 3 dogs you see we just moved in together last year , before I lived at home and she lived at home.

9 years ago my younger sister got a yorkie for her birthday and she never looked after it so I did. The Yorkie had pups one of which my girlfriend took to her house, where she already had the Toy Poodle.

When we moved out of our family homes and into our own house the yorkie came with me and the yorkies pup and the Toy Poodle with my girlfriend. My family have agreed to take our yorkie back home but unfortunatley my girlfriend parents are both dead and she has no family prepared to take the two dogs.

This decision has not been taken lightly and to all the SUPERMOMS who posted about how great they are after raising two kids with out having to get rid of their dogs , fairplay to you pat on the back there but I suppose we are being lazy taking the easy way out ;)

What do you mean? How is that relevant in this situation? How could it possibly be kind?

I apologise for getting your gender wrong, I don't know why, I just assumed you were a woman - sorry.

If you are going to do some thinking, please take the time to go onto the irishanimals website, in the homes needed section, go through the whole lot, county by county and see that there is very, very little chance of you finding a loving home for these two dogs.

I am very confused about your son being killed if he went to Sweden, is there something going on there that I don't know about? I haven't seen the news today, but I hope no Swedes on here are offended by that.

You took on responsibility for those dogs, in fact even more so for the yorkie as you allowed your dog to get pregnant and have pups. If you had been more responsible with the mother, then the yorkie that you have wouldn't now need to be looking for a new home, as she would never have been born. So please face up to your responsiblities, and make just a little bit of time each day for this dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Your Welcome.

So why are the dogs suddenly a problem now?

You assumed responsibility of the dog, you allowed it to have pups, and your girlfriend assumed responsibility of the one she took as well as the one she already had. You made the decision to live together so yes you did intend to have 3 dogs.

So your girlfriend definately intended to have the Yorkie's pup, it's not clear if the poodle was her's or her parents.

Yes you are ;)

I'll leave you with a famous saying' You;ve got to be cruel to be kind
    Ehh?? :confused:
    '

Here's my situation, I'm not currently employed as such (soon to change) as I moved home to look after my mother after a pretty bad fall. I get up at 5:00am to look after 3 horse's that I have, 2 of which were rescues. I also have other peoples horses here on occasion for schooling. From 8:30am to 6:30pm I have 4 kids here all under 5, none of which are mine, and don't recieve as much as a thanks for doing so, I'm just expected to do it as obviously (in other people opinion) I have nothing better to do all day anyway. At 6:30 I go back to horses again unless the kids are still here and there's no-one else to mind them. I have a 14 year old labrador with serious health issues and 4 month old puppy. I find it no problem whatsoever fitting in house and toilet training, it doesn't require any effort other than being present. I take the puppy for walks with all the kids in tow if necessary.

Suck it up and get on with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Like ISDW I can't understand the 'cruel to be kind' comment. If you've had these dogs for years and years how can you make such a flippant comment? I know children are important in your life but your dogs are part of your family, they blindly love you no matter what. Surely the babies are taken out for a walk in their buggies can you not take the dogs for a stroll then? Can you not play with them at night time when the kids are asleep? It only takes a few minutes to feed them and it's not like we're talking about a single parent here there's two of you, so surely you can share the burden?

I just find it hard to fathom how a person can give up their dogs so easily and the 'cruel to be kind' comment smacks of someone who has already given up on them. I hope for their sakes the outcome for your dogs is a happy one because it can't be nice living in a house where you're not wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I think the underlying issue here is that some people see their dogs as so much a part of their family that with lifestyle changes it doesn't even reach the point of consideration to getting rid of their dogs when living circumstances get tough or change. The OP is not this type of person.

We have 6 dogs, 4 biggies kennelled outside and 2 smallies (the brats) who live indoors and 2 young children so I can appreciate the strain dogs and children can be sometimes. Every morning is a madhouse here and my neighbours must think I'm a nutcase but I couldn't ever dream of changing my lifestyle for a quieter home but I understand how it can become difficult.

OP - if it has reached a point where you feel you have no option but to get rid of your dogs then try and rehome them yourselves without burdening dog shelters with your responsibility. They have a tough enough job doing what they do and receiving endless cases of redundant pets. Please understand their frustration.

I would also ask that after you successfully rehome your dogs, please do not ever consider bringing a dog into your home again. If you can spend 9 years looking after a dog and then give him up to strangers when circumstances change you surely should know by now that you are not the type of person who sees a dog as part of their family.

Best of luck rehoming your dogs - i hope you find a loving home for them

Just reading the OP posters thoughts sums him up in my books...

Very intelligent response... send your son of the be killed in Sweden???? WTF??? For all the Swedes out there , please forgive us not all irish people are this rude or thick... or ignorant... do you even know where Sweden is?? From your posts i reckon not! :P

The fact that you allowed the yorkie to have pups etc... shows your lack of responsibility... or forward thinking :cool:

Your reference to SUPERMOMS again shows your immaturaity.. the fact that people can have kids and dogs together make them SUPERMOMS... get a life its called a FAMILY.... families adapt to any new situation... Normal, loving people just dont get rid of thier dogs when the situation becomes hard! THEY SUCK IT UP ... and get on with life! :confused:

at the end of the day you have made up your mind, do what suits you, regardless of how lost and unloved your dogs WILL feel after living 7 years of their lives with you ....and now nothing?????.

next time when little johnny ask for a dog from santa.. DONT GET ONE... as it too will end up being dumped when things get tough....

you should explain to him that you already had two lovings dogs that you decided to get rid of... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Hi

carra

First of all I hope everything goes ok for the birth of your 2nd child, congrats to you both. Having a toddler and a soon to be newborn baby will be pretty crazy times but worth it no doubt! :)

The only thing that you seem concerned about is the fact that the dogs are not getting anytime from you. It wouldn't cost much to feed them either Lidl or Aldi for dog food! :)
    I really wouldn't worry about the whole time/attention thing as they both have each other and can occupy themselves. Do you have a back yard or small garden? If so they can run about together out there. If you can't walk them everyday that's still ok they can miss a walk every other day if needs be. It's not the end of the world if they do!

I don't know anything about how hard it is to rehome older dogs/cats/animals in general, but reading the other posts it obviously is. :( Even if you manage to rehome them theres nothing to stop the new owners from giving away one of them once you have handed them over.

Being small dogs they live normally longer than bigger dogs. So these little guys could have another 10 years in them! Your kids would definitely benefit from having them in their lives.

Is there any other reason you feel the need to give them away apart from the whole time/attention thing?

• Advertisement

Why do people feel the need to attack this OP when they do not know what the real situation is ? ? There are dogs being dumped out on the street by people who dont care about them.

Maybe the OP loves the dogs so much they feel they cant provide or spend time with them, they are willing to give away to a family who would ? ?
    We dont know this.

So getting back on track , OP a good place to bring your dogs would be dogs trust. They will actually look to re-home them together. They would be worth a call .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement