Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Dublin Diving Club to choose? And why....

Options
  • 28-08-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advise on which club to join, or what options I have to get back into diving in Ireland.

I am a PADI Instructor and MSDT (not teaching status), I started diving in Ireland years ago in UCC Subaqua club but became a bit disenchanted with the cold so I headed off to Thailand to do an internship a few years back. After a hell of a lot of diving and working in Thailand and Borneo I came home. Did one dive in Oysterhaven, saw some rocks and a single crab and pretty much jacked in diving in Ireland. To give some perspective here for anyone who thinks Im being a bit unfair to the south coast (after all my first and most amazing dives were around west cork), my last dive the week before was leading a group at Barracuda Point in Sipadan, consistently voted one of the top dive sites in the world (reference here and here), so Oysterhaven never had a chance in hell :p

Anyway, I have spent the last few years pursuing other adventures, but now I am working in Dublin and am interested in doing a bit of fun diving, preferably some wrecks, with penetration if possible (no sniggers please kids).

I am not drysuit certifed (though i have used them), but may consider it if its a must. I have some kit (wetsuit, bcd, regs though they need a service but no drysuit or tank)

But overall what im wondering is whats the best way to go about getting some diving done without spending an arm and a leg. Can anyone suggest a good club in Dublin area (i live in Dublin 4) that doesnt charge ridiculous fees, that goes out regularly, that doesnt need me to own my own tank and perhaps most importantly has a fun atmosphere (ie doesnt go in for politics or powertrip committee syndrome...)

Answers on a postcard.....

Cheers
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭elcowboyspace

Wow, You've got some pretty tough requests there. Considering this is Dublin. Since you're southside I'd recommend looking up Oceandivers. They are a paddy training club. Maybe not so much of a "club" since there is no required membership ( although you can pay a yearly subscription and save a bit on airfills/dives etc. ) They dive very regularly, several times at the weekend and a few during the week also I think. ( Maybe somebody actively diving with OD can clear this up? ) or look at the website, www.oceandivers.ie

Myself and a small group of other divers tend not to dive with clubs these days as we have our own kit. It's a more relaxed, less timetabled way to do things we feel. And we've had some bad experiences of extreme punctuality required with a handful of clubs. But if you're looking to get back into things I'd certainly recommend OD. Close to you, very well run and generally quite friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

If you want to check out CFT clubs in you area, see here:

http://www.cft.ie/dublinclubs.htm

From Barracuda Point to the Muglins - Culture Shock!

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 14 akuamunki

Hey,

Thanks for the replies so far. I dont think my requests are that tough though, fun diving should be fun and politics free. I think the only one im pushing it on is not owning a tank...

Is this the case over here? Do people tend to own a whole set of kit?

As for OD, to be honest I havent heard great reports, but I suppose the only way to find out is first hand, chinese whispers are amplified online.

Thanks seadeuce for the link but I had already looked at the list just before posting this question. My problem is when you look at a big list of clubs you have no idea about anything apart from how well designed their site is (if they even have one), which really has no bearing on how well the club is run, how fun the atmosphere is etc.

What I was hoping was to hear some personal experience from people who have used these clubs, for good or bad. Thats what I like about boards.ie is the real personal opinion you get from peoples first hand experience. I will listen much more to one disgruntled/happy customer experience over a hundred marketing blurbs...

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Check out first4scuba in Arklow. They dive as much as possible and have trips away often. They are wreck divers.

Gear can be rented too if booked in advance.

www.first4scuba.com .Colin, Garreth or Mike will help you out.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ans Blix

+1 for Oceandivers in Dun Laoghaire.

Dublin doesn't have good dive spots imho, but oceandiver have amazing customer service.

If your looking for good dives head out west. Water is clearer, granted only a little bit more to see.

If your ever in galway send me a pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Another vote for first4scuba...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

First for Scuba is closed as far as I know. Got an e-mail from them a few weeks ago advertising a liquidation sale.

Ocean Divers have a good crew. Did my AOW with them a couple of years ago. Did a weekend on the west coast with them as well. Best shop I've dived/dove?? with in Ireland (admittedly I have only gone through 4 dive shops here)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

+1 for oceandivers. Have you gone with anyone yet OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

lochdara wrote: »
    Check out first4scuba in Arklow. They dive as much as possible and have trips away often. They are wreck divers.

Gear can be rented too if booked in advance.

www.first4scuba.com .Colin, Garreth or Mike will help you out.

i got an email from them to say they were closing down -- and i cant get through on the number -- can anyone confirm this as they were brill forthe prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Does anyone know the Curragh Scuba Club in Sandycove?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LolNoob

akuamunki wrote: »
    As for OD, to be honest I havent heard great reports, but I suppose the only way to find out is first hand, chinese whispers are amplified online.

I don't know what you've heard about OceanDivers however I can't see how they could ever be given a bad review. I've done courses with them and intend to continue to do so. They're extremely friendly and are very accommodating, well priced and very active.

Again, I don't see how someone who has been out to them and done a dive could have a bad word to say. Great bunch of people and I'm really looking forward to getting out with them again in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Hey there, I joined up with Kish beginning of this year. Great bunch of people, loads of craic, many of them have been in the club for 25 years, there's a lot of various solid experience spread out amongst them. Even though they have know each other for years I have felt very, very welcomed this year. I can't say enough about them.

We do a pool meet every Wed, and during the summer go out sometimes twice a week, Thursday nights on the long days, and definitely every Sunday morning, hour depending on tide of course. Throughout the winter there are sea snorkels & pool to keep in shape. They go away maybe 5 times a year in Ireland on the West, and if everyone has money goes away to warmer climates too. Their last dive off Galway (I couldn't attend) visibility was 25 metres, fish everywhere.

I got my open water PADI in Hawaii and I hate, hate the cold myself so I know where you are coming from. But I got a nice enough semi dry suit with proper gloves and I can keep relatively warm, don't get me wrong there are days where I couldn't feel my finger tips, but the joy of diving is too strong. A couple of weeks ago around Dalkey Island I saw an Octopus, there are days when you can see a good bit of fish. The Irish fish are a bit shy compared to the Hawaii fish that come right up to your face. I would suggest to not keep comparing and instead just enjoy being out there.

I don't have any equipment now but I can borrow other's spare ones, they all have bits and pieces they share. The monthly flat fee includes practically everything except lodgings and other people's boats when they go away. The club has their own boat & air is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

hi , my name is steve and im the diving officer of true blue sac . we are based in the guiness pool in dublin and train on a wed night . we have a full sets of gear that we use for student untill they get their own . we have our own boat and compressor . and during the summer we dive mid week and weekends with the boat moored during the summer . we also arrange 1 dive weekend every month all around ireland

we have a great fun atmosphere and the only time politics comes into play is our annual agm . we have a wide range of ages in our club membership and welcome family members and friends on club nights weekends and functions . our fees are very affordable

if you would like to come down the pool and have a chat you are more than welcome . i would also dissagree with the statement earlier that divin in dublin is crap . its only crap when you cant find slack , shelter , or if you dont know where the good dive sites are :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Collinr

Just thought i would put down my experiences with OD, seeing as someone was asking what the negative feedback was. I did my OW with them a few years ago, including the open water dives in the west and really enjoyed it, my instructor was great and i was all set to dive regularly.
    The problems started when i signed up to do a boat dive with OD. I had requested a DM to come with me as i was newly qualified and was rather nervous about diving on my own. This was ignored, I was offered no advice or help in putting my gear together, and when i had made an error this was loudly pointed out to the entire boat, and i was made to feel like the village idiot by the boat driver, who was unpleasant, dismissive and just generally obnoxious. After the dive i also overheard him mocking my lack of skill to others back at the dive shop.
    If it hadnt been for behaviour like this i would have dived regularly with them so they have lost out on a fair amount of business. Things may have changed now, as i said this was a few years ago.
    BTW have sinced dived with Scubadive West for my Nitrox and Drysuit who were great!

Advertisement