Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandy bridge preview - Anandtech

Options
  • 28-08-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Anand has some sandy bridge benchmarks:

It looks like lower end 200 - 300 Euro sandy bridge chips will beat or come very close to the 1000euro i7 980x. To overclock you need to buy one with a "K" suffix.

New socket / chipset so you'd need a new mobo.

Link is here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/1

These chips will come out very soon but the high end replacement for LGA 1366 (LGA 2011) won't come until this time next year.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Wow. Unless they do something unforgivably stupid AMD wins this gen by default :eek: Anti-OC tech.... jesus Intel just sunk to a new low ugone2far.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

wait intel are actually stoping overclocking with their new processors? im going AMD without a second thought about intel now :mad: bloody overclocking is part of computing for crying out loud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Very impressive, that their mid-range chip is just below the 980x in most of those benchmarks. Frightening to think of what the high-end LGA2011 chips will be like!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

But its mostly through using the die-shrink to increase high-frequency stability and add more cores. Otherwise the speed increase is mostly evolutionary, not revolutionary a la Athlon MK1 vs Core2... and quite possibly Core-i7 vs Bulldozer, which should facekick Intel into next week. If sticking some volts into an i7-930 or even an i5-760 allows the current gen to approach or even supersede the next-gen maximum speed potential (due to crippled or zero OC in sub-€400 CPUs) imagine what AMD will do to them with a full architecture overhaul... :eek:

It sure as hell won't be pretty, that's for sure :o

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

well we haven't seen the numbers for AMD yet, but I really hope your right Solitaire,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Man, I REALLY am looking forward to Bulldozer now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

impressive, but really dissapointing. so happy i went AMD now.

Advertisement