Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob question about dogs playing

Options
  • 28-08-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

A noob question but this has never happened before - I can't believe I'm typing this about MY dog lol cos it's normally other dogs giving out to him :pac: Anyhoos we were in the park this morning and all the dogs are off the lead having a great time. There's one dog in particular a small collie type that loves to play - he'll stalk other dogs/run up to them/growl and bark etc at them to get them to play. Our guy is a 13 month old golden retriever and normally has nobody to play with because he's younger than the dogs his size or too big for the dogs his age so he usually has a game with this guy when we meet him. So the two of them were charging around the place with the other dog growling at him as they played..Next my guy gave a little growl back - next they were up 'bear hugging' each other and my guy was growling a bit more. I called him and he came over and sat for a treat no probs.
    So...to get to the point could it be that MY dog who normally wants a game with every dog he see's had had enough of the other guy jumping all over him?! He's never growled at another dog before - except for last week when he growled at a dog on the tv :pac:- normally he stands in front of the tv with his tail wagging if a dog comes on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

maybe it just got a bit too rough for your young fella??? was it a serious growl and tustle? can happen tho. my basset always lets his cousin lab know when he is bein too rough on him and lets out a serious "back the #### up" growl and possible some serious teeth exposure :) and all is grand in a few seconds and they are off at it again. easy for me to suggest leave them at it next time and it'll sort itself out, cos i know the two dogs in question - and they get on great with each other all the same, even though it never happens with other dogs! know for a fact the lab is extremely gentle with other doggies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I have a terrier cross and a basset hound cross - both rescue dogs. They stand up on their back legs and growl and try to bite each others necks and there is often teeth bearing as well. I used to panic when it happened - fearing blood and veterinary A&E! But it just seems to be the way they play and they generally end up rolling around on the ground and all is well:D
    The biggest problem I have is when the basset cross gets fed up playing and the terrier cross wants more! She will stand and bark into his face endlessly in an effort to get him going but he just totally ignores her! On occasions, he has turned and snapped at her and she just looks bewildered and after a few seconds she is off again!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't think it was serious like they were going to have a fight - maybe just that our guy had enough and wanted to rest because he'd already had a run and swim? It's never happened before thou lol usually he's the one who want's to play and the other dogs ignore him! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is your dog neutered or is the other dog entire/neutered?

If either or both are entire you need to be very careful with entire males playing together as it could turn aggressive if they get too much for each other so just be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm not sure about the other guy but ours was 'taken care of' the day he turned 6 months old ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement