Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 28-08-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Galway in the middle of September for a job. I'm living somewhere near Eyre Square and I'm just wondering a few things.. (I'm 21 coming close to 22)

What would be the nearest soccer club to Eyre Square that wouldn't be too high a standard? (I haven't played in about 6 years and I don't have a car but I'd like to get back into it) Is there a few games of soccer I could just join in each week? Like is there an astro turf I could just go down to and kick a ball for awhile?

Where are the best places to go out on the weekend?

What is the nearest supermarket to Eyre Square?

Where is the nearest library to Eyre Square?

What are the nice restaurants in Galway and what would the price range be?

Any other advice about Galway in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Cathal O

+1 on the soccer club near eyre square

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

there's some soccer cages behind kate's in the galway shopping centre, then theres some in mervue and drom apart from that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Burial wrote: »
    Where are the best places to go out on the weekend?

Depends what sort of music you're in to. Unless it's trad, I'm not a good person to give advice on this topic! (Ditto the soccer club)

What is the nearest supermarket to Eyre Square?

There's a Dunnes inside Eyre Square Shopping Centre, which is in .. you know where! Lidl and Tesco are 10-15 minutes walk away, on the Headford Rd. This Terryland area map tells you where to find 'em. (It's bus-focussed, but the quickest walk from Eyre Square is to go up Prospect Hill and down a side street).

Where is the nearest library to Eyre Square?

Unless you're a student, the one and only in the city is in St Augustine St (follow the queue towards the welfare office!)

What are the nice restaurants in Galway and what would the price range be?

Depends on your tastes. Cheap and cheerful, stick to Abbeygate / Mary Sts. Tourist prices, Quay St. Classy try Dominic St (Cava, Alabone, Oscars). Sorry, not sure about prices, so I won't even try.

NB yes, it is a little odd that the higher-class restaurants are all in the west, which many perceive as the rougher or more downmarket area (dare I say crusty-zone ;) ). Go figure.

Any other advice about Galway in general?

Welcome you'll have a great time.

If you're living in the inner city and a light sleeper, consider ear-plugs (the madding crowd goes on 'til 2am or later, the street sweepers start at about 6am).

The city is very walkable. See my .sig for now to get around the suburbs, and further afield.

Advertisement