Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

references from professors (graduated in 06')

Options
  • 28-08-2010 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,

Excuse the ignorance, but I've been off the academic scene for a few years now.

I'm thinking of going back to do a masters at some stage and like most courses, the one I'm looking at requires a couple of academic references.

I got a 1st in my undergrad in this subject but it was a long time ago and there's no way any of my lecturers would remember me. Does this matter? would they have my results on the system (UCD)? Would it be normal to get in touch after a few years like this asking for a reference?

Also, now that I think of it would a reference from my secondary school teacher (even further back- but who would actually remember me) be any use or do they generally require it to be from undergrad lecturers.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Broozer wrote: »
    Hi all,

Excuse the ignorance, but I've been off the academic scene for a few years now.

I'm thinking of going back to do a masters at some stage and like most courses, the one I'm looking at requires a couple of academic references.

I got a 1st in my undergrad in this subject but it was a long time ago and there's no way any of my lecturers would remember me. Does this matter? would they have my results on the system (UCD)? Would it be normal to get in touch after a few years like this asking for a reference?

Also, now that I think of it would a reference from my secondary school teacher (even further back- but who would actually remember me) be any use or do they generally require it to be from undergrad lecturers.

thanks.

Look up your lecturer that was a thesis supervisor or somebody you talked to more than the others, email them and ask them, tell them if they want you could send on your transcripts and a cv. This is what I would do anyway. Stay away from secondary school, not worth the reference since you've got a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'd say most lecturers don't really know who they are writing references for even when it comes to current students. They get lots of requests for references so I'd imagine they would use some kind of template and then do a bit of tailoring. Just ask lecturers you had more contact with than others. They might want to know what you've been doing since you graduated or your motivation for doing a masters. Getting one shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Strictly

If you have your student ID no and the year you qualified it is a great help as they just look up your results ....

Advertisement