Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anywhere cheap to buy sterling ?

Options
  • 28-08-2010 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

i need to change some euros into sterling and cant find anywhere that offers more than 82p per euro

does anyone know anywhere that offers more ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Sterling isn't like some regular product with 10% off weekends. It a currency.

The current market rate is 0.8223, so if you are getting 82p / euro then it is the absolute best you'll get as normally banks will take a 2% margin.

On the reverse calculation £1stg will cost 1.2161 at market rate. Bank rate will be about €1.24 per £1.

You'll only get market rate if you're trading in millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

if you know a bank official they are allowed a little cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Don't forget you'll pay commission on top on that.
    Some banks do a commission free deal for over 50's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cem

I got some sterling last week in the Post Office. They were offering Sterling and US Dollars commission free. I cant see anything about it online but it might be worthwhile checking with your local post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

cem wrote: »
    I got some sterling last week in the Post Office. They were offering Sterling and US Dollars commission free. I cant see anything about it online but it might be worthwhile checking with your local post office.

Hi All,

I’m looking to convert some Euro to Sterling myself. I’ll check my local post office as per previous reply. If anyone has any more up to date information, I am all ears.

Thanks In Advance for all responses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Don't be fooled by commission free offers - the rate will simply be inferior.

Here's a yahoo link to cross rates

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-investing#cross-rates

Currently €1 will get you 83.22p sterling at mid market rates. (€1.202 per £1)
    Doing an online transfer and you'll get a rate of approx 81.85p (€1.222 per £1)
    Buying cash over the counter will get you 81p (€1.235 per £1)

So ask for the cost in euro per £100 including all commissions and aim to get it for about €122.50

Advertisement