Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian Sausage

Options
  • 28-08-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where to get them i am in Dublin many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

avoca, fallon and byrne
    check out butchers near you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

butchers at the corner of parnell street and dominic street in D1 does some nice Italian sausages ( 6 for 5€ )

Many Thanks to all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If I'm making a pasta sauce that calls for Italian sausages (and I can't find any)I use a good quality pork sausage and add fennel seeds, small amount of coriander seeds and some dried chilli to the sauce. It a reasonably good substitute, particularly if the sausages are broken up to bite sized pieces.

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    If I'm making a pasta sauce that calls for Italian sausages (and I can't find any)I use a good quality pork sausage and add fennel seeds, small amount of coriander seeds and some dried chilli to the sauce. It a reasonably good substitute, particularly if the sausages are broken up to bite sized pieces.

A touch of cream and some mushrooms and i would be in Heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Hicks do them http://www.hicks.ie/index.html. They travel to alot of the farmers markets around Dublin and also have a shop now. (I am not associated to hick, I just love their sausages!)

None in Fallon & Bryne:confused: they dont stock them

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

The only place I have seen them so far is Terry Whelan's on Parnell St. I've been looking myself. I want andouille as well, so I've high hopes that the "cajun sausage" mentioned on the Hicks' website is andouille by another name :D Hicks seem to be at the Temple Bar market of a Saturday so I'll give them a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

emaleth wrote: »
    The only place I have seen them so far is Terry Whelan's on Parnell St. I've been looking myself. I want andouille as well, so I've high hopes that the "cajun sausage" mentioned on the Hicks' website is andouille by another name :D Hicks seem to be at the Temple Bar market of a Saturday so I'll give them a go.

Yes terry whelans is the place I was talking about at the corner of parnell and dominic street.

their Italian sausages are pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Glavster

Just wondering if anyone knows where Italian Sausages and other Italian Speciality Meats can be purchased online?

Thanks

That Butchers on Parnell St is gone, wasn't that nice anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Glavster wrote: »

I've been to the shop in Ranelagh (Dunville Ave, a few doors down from Mortons) many times. Their stuff is excellent, very authentic. Never bought online though.

Hi Rosy Posy

The problem with the online site is they don't give any info on the products, ingredients, where it comes from and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Glavster wrote: »
    Hi Rosy Posy

The problem with the online site is they don't give any info on the products, ingredients, where it comes from and so on.

Could you email them? Or call to the shop if you're in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

I needed Italian sausage for a lasagna recipe and I just got a recipe online to make it. I didn't need the casing so it worked out great and it was really simple to make. I can't find the exact website I used but here are a couple of similar recipes if they are any good to you:
    (this was close to what I made)
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/italian-sausage-recipe/index.html

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-sweet-italian-sausage-mild-or-hot/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hicks in dalkey do both a coarse and fine Italian sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Pat Whelan has a shop in the Avoca Foodhall in Monkstown (and also in Clonmel). His Italian Sausage is fantastic. I usually take it out of the casing (which I'm not a fan of) to make meatballs or use in a casserole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I stopped looking for decent sweet Italian sausage in Ireland and have been just making my own. Very simple easy process that is really really good. I do not put in casings and just roll into small balls, brown and put in tomato sauce or as toppings for my home made pizza.

The most important step is to leave overnight in fridge before cooking.

2 kgs ground pork with some fat
    3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoons dried parsley
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds (toasted first)
    1 teaspoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Place the pork and red wine vinegar in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle in all the dry ingredients and knead until flecks of spice are evenly distributed through the sausage. I use a food mixer for this.
    2. Divide the sausage into thirds, and form into 3 logs; wrap each in plastic wrap. Place wrapped sausage into a freezer bag before freezing, or store in refrigerator for at least 12 hours before cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

babaduck wrote: »
    His Italian Sausage is fantastic. I usually take it out of the casing

:eek:

Advertisement