Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilko Johnson Dub May 2014-

Options
  • 28-08-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭

From Hot Press...

Legendary guitarist Wilko Johnson is in the Leeson Lounge next month. Former Dr. Feelgood and Ian Dury & The Blockheads man Wilko Johnson
    plays Dublin’s Leeson Lounge Pub on September 28 with fellow Blockhead Norman Watt-Roy also coming along for the ride. Tickets are available from the venue priced €30.
    One of the most distinctive guitar players of his generation, Johnson features prominently in Julian Temple’s Oil City Confidential documentary on the Feelgoods, which underlines the huge influence they had on the likes of The Clash and the Pistols.
    63 years young, Wilko is still showing today’s R&B/newwave/punk whippersnappers how it’s done!

I urge you not to miss this gig, its a looong time since Wilko played Dublin and Norman Watt-Roy is the finest bass player of his generation.
    If you've seen him live you know what I'm talking about, if you haven't....grab a ticket QUICK.

Best Live band on this planet.

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Cool, I dont too much of this mans work, I actually only know of him through that BBC documentary, I'm in a Rock N' Roll Band,

He seems like an incredible guitar player!!!
    what should I check out to get familiar with him? Dr Feelgood stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Check out the 'Oil City Confidential' dvd for an idea of where he came from.
    He doesn't play much Feelgood's stuff tbh, his solo cds are available on ebay.
    Amazon have his 'best of' stuff, there's also bits on youtube.
    You really have to see him live though, and Norman is just out of this world on bass.
    I first saw him live over 20 years ago, saw him live last night in Belfast and he was just amazing.
    Honestly, best band I've ever seen...

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Saw him play about 20 years ago also (Lower Deck I think?) with Norman Watt-Roy on Bass. As you say brilliant live.

Don't think this is happening, there is no mention of it on Wilko's site, :confused:

It's still on.
    This site seems to be more up to date than his myspace page.
    http://www.wilkojohnson.org/
    He's also playing Cork now, the night before the Dublin gig.
    If at all possible I'm going to drive down for the Cork gig then back up for the Dublin gig.
    Yes...he's that good.
    You've never seen a gig like Wilko, DON'T MISS IT!

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

bump...
    Anyone going?
    See you next Tuesday, I'll be the one near the front in a Wilko t-shirt making a t1t of myself and loving every second, come up and say hello!
    PS You'll get a bass masterclass from Norman Watt-Roy thrown in as well.:)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

28th Sold out , 29th sold out..... I have tkts for the 30th !!

Enjoy the gigs, can't wait !!

Good man, I'll be there for all three! :D
    For anyone who's seen him before, you know what to expect.
    For anyone who's seeing him for the first time...prepare to be blown away! :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Managed to get ticket for the Thursday show :D

Used to see him 20 years ago in London, then not again till last year. Guess what...still just as good. These guys *know* how to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Saw him in Cork last night in Crane Lane or whatever its called for 16 euro.
    He was ok me mates taught he was decent. To be honest i taught the whole set sounded the same.

• Advertisement

Great show in Dublin last night..good crowd..good atmosphere.
    Looking forward to more of the same tonight :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

furiousox wrote: »
    Great show in Dublin last night..good crowd..good atmosphere.
    Looking forward to more of the same tonight :)

Really looking forward to tonight.

Did he play any/much Feelgood stuff? How long was his set? (Trying to work out whether I can make the last bus home)

He played 'Roxette', 'Sneaking Suspicion' & 'Back in the Night'.
    He came onstage at 9.30 and finished up around 11.00.
    Support band are good too, well worth a look.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

furiousox wrote: »
    He played 'Roxette', 'Sneaking Suspicion' & 'Back in the Night'.
    He came onstage at 9.30 and finished up around 11.00.
    Support band are good too, well worth a look.

... and 'She does it right'! Great gig, very tight band- absolutely fantastic musicians. Wilko's defo still got it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone notice his eye?? Big red/black mark underneath his eye.
    I asked the drummer after show in Cork other night me and mates figured might of hit it with guiter lol turns out he got his teeth done :)

Check this out, signature bass played by Norman.
    Thank Christ it's sold..I would have gone into heavy debt to buy that.:o

http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-guitars/bass-collection-blockhead-norman-watt-roy-prototype.html

CPL 593H

How was it tonight? Anyone know if Thursday is sold out?

Tonight was even better than last night.
    There were more people in, crowd converged about 3ft from the stage and were well up for it.
    Band were in great form, really enjoying the response, happy/awestruck faces everywhere, Norman was absolutely mind-blowing tonight!
    Sat with him after the gig for about an hour with some other fans listening to his life story, really nice down to earth guy.
    I think there are some tickets left for Thursday.
    I've said it before....
    DO NOT MISS THIS GIG!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Great gig last night !!!!!! If you were not there , you missed a good one

Seen Wilko and band around 20 times before & last night was up there with the best ever. Think he was enjoying himself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭HighFinance

Mesmerising stuff. Glad i didn't miss this as only decided to go at 9 pm.

Truly wonderful musicians playing music with every ounce of energy in their bodies.

Maximum r 'n' b for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

last night was one of the best gigs I was ever at, I only got there half way into the gig and I almost didn't go.....
    the staff in the venue were sound as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Grammar Police!

Agree completely with the above post.
    OP was absolutely right too....best band in the world?
    Very possibly!
    Best I've ever seen anyway.
    Didn't really know what to expect but WOW!!

Well this thread will probably be winding up soon so here are my last few posts.
    Firstly a pic of my Fender Jazz bass which Norman signed for me last night..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/furiousox/5041505625/#/photos/furiousox/5041505625/lightbox/a%3E

CPL 593H

Here's 3 clips I've uploaded from last night's gig...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzOVmq_1Y5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB1ckQwBlb0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9eFubya-LM

So...what a week it's been!
    Got to see my favourite band 3 nights in a row, 3 fantastic gigs.
    Got to meet the band...get photos taken with them...autographs etc.
    It's been a great few days.
    I hope everyone enjoyed the gigs as much as I did, I'll think you agree they are something unique and special.
    Next Wilko gig for me is in London on November 4th and hopefully they'll be back in Dublin soon.
    He does it right! :)

CPL 593H

Thanks, those clips are great. Next for me also November in Glasgow. Fair play to the Leeson Lounge also for putting it on and getting the atmos just right.

Anyone know the story behind them coming over, heard it was down to the support band(Mosquitoes)?

I caught Wilko and the Guys down in Cork on Monday,

Really great show, Norman is the most mind blowing bassist I've ever seen live! Incredible Stuff!

Thanks for the heads up Furiousox!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

wilko-ci.jpg

Great night at The Leeson Lounge last night - more snaps at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lib-lab/sets/72157624948170121/with/5041287165/

Chelon wrote: »
    Thanks, those clips are great. Next for me also November in Glasgow. Fair play to the Leeson Lounge also for putting it on and getting the atmos just right.

Anyone know the story behind them coming over, heard it was down to the support band (Mosquitoes)?

That's right, I was talking to Foxy (guitarist with the Mosquitoes) and he is a huge Wilko fan.
    He's the man responsible for bringing them over, delighted it all worked out for him.
    3 sold out nights but it genuinely wasn't money motivated, it was all about getting Wilko over for the first time in what....15 years?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

Good news! He is back for more on 2nd May (Whelans)

Advertisement