Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilko Johnson Dub May 2014-

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

You f..ing beauty!!
    You've made my day! :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

furiousox wrote: »
    You f..ing beauty!!
    You've made my day! :D

+1 :D

He's also playing Cork on April 29th and Kilkenny on April 30th & May 1st :D

CPL 593H

Well he blew the roof off the set lounge in kilkenny last night in front of a crowd of 4 or 5 hundred and put on a great show earlier today even though an afternoon gig didn't really suit band or audience.
    Same old story... big smiles and big applause from a crowd who are probably seeing Wilko for the first time and being completely blown away.

He's in Whelan's Monday night, don't miss it...see you there!

CPL 593H

Roll on tomorrow night - tickets were on sale last week but looks like sold out now. Anyone know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

I have a surplus ticket for the wilko gig tonight in whelans, if anyone wants it at face value then give me a pm....

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

was in Kilkenny yesterday and while it was early in the day for a gig i thought they played well. check out norman watt roys bass playing. inhuman what he can do with this fingers.

Fantastic show in Whelans last night, crowd and venue made it the best gig of the 3.
    I think the heat got to Wilko near the end as he left the stage before the encore, then came back saying something about feeling a bit dizzy and to watch out in case he fell over!
    Glad to say he recovered and finished the gig ok.
    Some of the playing from Wilko & Norman during that show was just awe inspiring.
    I've said it before and I still think it's true...best live band on the planet!

CPL 593H

Brilliant as per. Though think the Leeson Lounge did edge it for intimacy. Anyone going to put some vid on youtube again?

Just a heads up, he's on Jools Holland this week (Tuesday & Friday I think)
    Going to see him in Manchester on Saturday after the Utd game, grand day out!

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    Just a heads up, he's on Jools Holland this week (Tuesday & Friday I think)
    Going to see him in Manchester on Saturday after the Utd game, grand day out!

Good to see him on tv but didn't quite capture the live magic. The sound mix was a bit off; guitar & bass not as searing as they could have been.

Unusual as the "Later" sound mix is normally A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Ok people .... your last chance to see this chap

He won't be back for sure , unless there is a miracle cure ( he has terminal cancer )

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Wilko-Johnson-tickets/artist/745906

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ticket got, should be a great night, allbeit a bit sad....

CPL 593H

Looks like the gig may not happen... :(

[url]=ttp://www.wilkojohnson.com/index.php/component/content/article/13-latest-wilko-news/51-wilko-in-hospital-urgent-news?Itemid=124]Wilko cancels commitments for medical procedure[/url]

From the BBC

Obviously if the operation is a success, that's great news and hopefully we will get to see him again, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

here is the statement which is included on the MCD site

http://www.mcd.ie/listings/fg.php?c=9141952&ar=wilkojohnson&cat=all

"Wilko Johnson Cancels Show at The Academy For Medical Procedure:

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

Wilko Johnson Cancels Commitments For Medical Procedure:
    Dr. Feelgood legend Wilko Johnson has today reluctantly had to cancel all of his public engagements.

Wilko, currently riding high in the UK album chart with the Roger Daltrey collaboration 'Going Back Home', has sought further advice about his pancreatic cancer and as a result has undergone a medical procedure that will see him out of action for the foreseeable future.

Doctors are hopeful that following the surgery the prognosis for Wilko will be positive.

Before going into hospital Wilko spoke to Tony Parsons. The exclusive interview can be read at here

Wilko Johnson cancels show in The Academy on Friday 30th of May. All refunds will be available at the point of purchase."

blastman wrote: »
    From the BBC

Obviously if the operation is a success, that's great news and hopefully we will get to see him again, eventually.

So, a year on almost to the day, and against all the odds, Wilko was finally able to make his delayed appearance in the Academy last night and if you wren't there, you missed one of the gigs of the year. No setlists, no effects pedals, no plectrum, just a band that was tighter than a gnat's chuff and some great music. Wilko looked great and in great form, even if (understandably) the set was not the longest, just over the hour mark. It was all rounded out with a great support act (The Creatures) and a (pretty much sold-out) crowd that clearly were delighted to see Wilko and absolutely loved the music. If you're anywhere near the Rory Gallagher festival in Ballyshannon tomorrow, I'd highly recommend going along to see the man.

P.S. Norman Watt-Roy is an absolute animal of a bassist!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

blastman wrote: »
    So, a year on almost to the day, and against all the odds, Wilko was finally able to make his delayed appearance in the Academy last night and if you wren't there, you missed one of the gigs of the year. No setlists, no effects pedals, no plectrum, just a band that was tighter than a gnat's chuff and some great music. Wilko looked great and in great form, even if (understandably) the set was not the longest, just over the hour mark. It was all rounded out with a great support act (The Creatures) and a (pretty much sold-out) crowd that clearly were delighted to see Wilko and absolutely loved the music. If you're anywhere near the Rory Gallagher festival in Ballyshannon tomorrow, I'd highly recommend going along to see the man.

P.S. Norman Watt-Roy is an absolute animal of a bassist!!

I only knew his music vaguely, but I like good guitar based music and loved him on Jools Holland so decided to head along. Great gig, superb musicians, very tight as you say. And the bassist is something else, a real force of nature!
    Short set but well worth seeing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement