Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving... Any way to lessen the PAIN!?!

Options
  • 28-08-2010 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭

I'm 21 years old and it's been happening to me a lot lately (don't remember it happening so much in the past!!!) that my neck/under-my-chin is on fire after shaving, no matter what balm/lotion I use afterwards.

Sometimes, shaving also results in cuts, which are also agony, no matter how softly or lightly I shave.

I always shave with the grain, but on my neck (under my ears especially) it can be hard to get a close shave, and if I'm too persistent, I'm in agony afterwards!!!

I find that the effects are not so bad if I leave it for a few days in between shaving, but this means that I have to endure a bloody ''peachfuzz'' stage in between shaving. Is there anything anyone can recommend for lessening the pain? or is there a truly effective aftershave balm that can calm/soothe the skin?

Thanks, gentlemen!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Try and shower before shaving,it will soften the hairs and make it easier.If wet shaving is too problematic then maybe think about investing in a decent electric razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You should only shave the same area once. What shaving foam/gel/ razor are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

DazMarz wrote: »
    I'm 21 years old and it's been happening to me a lot lately (don't remember it happening so much in the past!!!) that my neck/under-my-chin is on fire after shaving, no matter what balm/lotion I use afterwards.

Sometimes, shaving also results in cuts, which are also agony, no matter how softly or lightly I shave.

I always shave with the grain, but on my neck (under my ears especially) it can be hard to get a close shave, and if I'm too persistent, I'm in agony afterwards!!!

I find that the effects are not so bad if I leave it for a few days in between shaving, but this means that I have to endure a bloody ''peachfuzz'' stage in between shaving. Is there anything anyone can recommend for lessening the pain? or is there a truly effective aftershave balm that can calm/soothe the skin?

Thanks, gentlemen!

Start of by soaking your skin in hot/warm water or wash your a face a few times. What shaving foam do you use, i use Nivea and Gillette and both are very good. I also use Mach 3 blades, depending on your growth if its quick or slow make sure you change your blades often. Nothing worse then shaving with a blunt blade. Once you finish just wash your face with hot/warm water and put on Nivea moisturizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

I get that too OP. The key is to shave right after you have a shower; I haven't had the problem since I started doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You should only shave the same area once. What shaving foam/gel/ razor are you using?

You could shave the area only once, but it's not that you shouldn't shave it more. I shave my face four times, twice with the grain and twice against for a superclose shave.

What you should do is shave it only once between applying shaving foam :) Don't foam once and shave multiple times, you're asking for some irritation. Work the shaving foam into your face too, don't dab it on and go at it - this will help the hair get nice and flexible so it's not like shaving wire. Ensure you're using sharp blades, I find after 5 or 6 shaves the blade gets noticeably less sharp and then I change. Keep a stypic pencil handy for when you nick yourself; Simply wet the pencil and stab your cut. It stings liek a b*tch but clots the cut so at least your face doesn't look like you fought with a lion an hour ago.

I don't shave with Mach 3/Gillette foam anymore either, I went old skool on it with a brush, shaving soap and a safety razor. Never going to go back, so much closer, less irritation and it's now a pleasure to shave with all the smells and stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Thanks for all the tips, guys!

I use Nivea sensitive gel, Mach 3 razor, and I usually do shave after I have a shower... So I'm wondering maybe if there's something else?

But I'll definitely try the re-application of shaving foam to an area after I've shaved there once. But as I said, it's only kind of on the neck area that I get this problem; is it just that the skin is more sensitive there maybe???

I used to get badly cut up when I was younger so I used the "king of shaves" shaving gel.It comes in a tiny little squeezy bottle and is pricey enough IIRC but it is great stuff.

Shave after a sauna or after an hour in the gym, running or whatever (if possible). If I shaved every day I'd be in bits, twice or three times a week for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

DazMarz wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips, guys!

I use Nivea sensitive gel, Mach 3 razor, and I usually do shave after I have a shower... So I'm wondering maybe if there's something else?

The Mach 3 might be your problem.....

I went through a phase like you describe and it effectively turned into a persistant rash on my neck and face.....ruined my handsome good looks so it did.

After several sessions of antibiotics (which worked initially but it always returned), a doctor suggested to lay off the 'closer than close' type shaving equipment. Suprisingly he recommended the cheap 'Bic' razors or just go electric. This solved the problem almost immediately and such a persistant rash has never returned.
    These cheap razors give a good enough shave and if you use enough lubricant and care they won't cut you any more than any other blade.

Years later....I now shave about 90% of the time with a good electric. I still use a Mach 3 or similar occasionally when I feel like a wet shave but I wouldn't use it every day.

I'm not saying your problem is the same as mine, but try a razor that doesn't shave as close for a few weeks and see how you get on.

Oh and by the way, I'm still handsome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

get an electric shaver, zero pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Predator_ wrote: »
    get an electric shaver, zero pain

But you'll end up looking like Fred Flintstone.

Right advice is to shave after the shower (the three S's; the Sh1t, the Shower and the Shave), then use a good quality shaving cream - I use Jasons, and a good blade such as Gillette Fusion, no need for after shave balms or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

Easy buy an electric shaver - Problem solved

Thinking I might defo invest in an electric shaver.... And I'll have no problem with "Fred Flintstone" (tho I'd prefer to think of it as more "Don Johnson":D) designer stubble... haha.

And maybe if I'm going to 'wet shave', I might use the not so close razors... Funnily, I used to use disposable ones the odd time and found them quite good!

But yes, I think I'll defo look into getting an electric razor. Any particular brand or type I should be looking for???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Have often do you shave Daz? I have quick hair growth so if I leave it a week or two without shaving it can be excruciating to shave.

So if you do have quick growth, best to shave every two days or so.

And I'm glad to hear you are not using a disposable razor, they will cut the face off of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

By "with the grain" I take it that you mean downwards on the cheek, and upwards on the neck? Sometimes upwards where the sideburns would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

I also find my neck kills sometimes after shaving. I have a particular patch on the right side of my neck that always gets cut but...

Shaving after showering was one of those happy realisations in life, another being that I'm not completely stupid.

5 to 15 minutes of warm water over the hair really softens it and will make shaving any part of the face smooth as fudge. To soften even more, while in the shower rub the hair vigorously, in other words heat it up even more = more malleable.

Because of your pain - shave with the grain, not against. Against is for tough bastards who don't have skin but leather. In other words the hair on your cheeks mostly grows / points downwards (more than likely) so shave downwards. My neck hairs grow in every ****ing direction so I'm completely lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I've got a patch on the right of my neck, from directly under my jaw/ear to the center under my chin and it's incredibly sensitive. I used to get really bad razor burn/irritation on it because I went over it multiple times to get it so close that when I ran my hand over it I felt nothing at all. I suspect I require several passes because the hair grows in many directions; down, across and even upwards.

It stopped when I swapped blades more often and re-lathered with cream. Also, the folicles are open after a shower, so you don't really require baby's arse smoothness after a shower because when the close up the hair will receed slightly so it'll feel smoother than when you run your hand over your face after a pass - you could be simply overdoing it like I was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

There could be an issue with what way the grain is actually growing on your neck, I know that on mine I have hair growing in 4 different directions, so I have to be careful to be sure I go with the grain instead of just shaving down. Make sure you know the pattern of growth on your face and go with it, it'll make shaving a lot easier.

Also you'll get less razor burn with single blade razor's because you're not pulling 3/4 blades across your face in one swipe. I too have switched to the old style safety razor, brush and soap. Before I changed I was using a fusion razor and had awful problems with shaving but now there is no issue....even if I forget to change the blade when it starts to go dull I still get a decent blade.

foinse wrote: »
    I know that on mine I have hair growing in 4 different directions, so I have to be careful to be sure I go with the grain instead of just shaving down.
    So I'm not the only one, some parts of my neck the hairs swirl like a whirlpool. It's pretty ****ing cool actually.

In general - if your skin is sensitive to shaving DON'T go with a close shave. Shave once over adn put up with the extra hair. And over time your skin will adapt to shaving naturally and you'll find it easier to do against the grain, second pass etc...

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Have often do you shave Daz? I have quick hair growth so if I leave it a week or two without shaving it can be excruciating to shave.

So if you do have quick growth, best to shave every two days or so.

And I'm glad to hear you are not using a disposable razor, they will cut the face off of you.

I shave maybe once every 3 days or so, cos I have to for work and stuff, but the amount of times I'm left looking like a stunt double from The Passion of the Christ is horrible.

And it is definitely only on my neck (particularly the sides down below my ears and directly under my chin) that is the killer; my face itself is actually grand!

Would electric or maybe a one-bladed razor be better???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

1 blade is definitely better. The more sharp pieces of metal that you drag across your skin the more irritated it will be. I tried electric before i went to a safety razor and it was just as bad.

I reckon you'll be fine with a single blade razor, some proper preparation...see mantic59's video's on you tube. and maybe a styptic pencil or an alum block to help with whatever nicks you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

This used to happen to me before I switched to a safety razer. I had used an electric razer(which are crap tbh) and a mach before and my skin would be in bits, switched to a Merkur Progress last year, proper shaving cream etc and it completely went away.You should look at the Facial Hair and Hats forum, lots of good advice there.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

titan18 wrote: »
    This used to happen to me before I switched to a safety razer. I had used an electric razer(which are crap tbh) and a mach before and my skin would be in bits, switched to a Merkur Progress last year, proper shaving cream etc and it completely went away.You should look at the Facial Hair and Hats forum, lots of good advice there.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

I can't believe it went to 24 posts before this advice got posted!

Have a hot shower, making sure to leave plenty of water into your beard. Don't have bathroom windows or anything open. Hot water. Use proper shaving soap/cream with a shaving brush and a straight razor like the Merkur Progress. The initial setup cost isn't astronomical and after that you only have to buy blades which are cheap as chips. I reckon it'd sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get an electric razor. The best brand is Panasonic. I have had a couple Braun and a Philishave and a Ronson.

Under no circumstances get a Phillishave or the pain you get now will seem like nothing.

Get a Panasonic wet and dry shaver and shave wet with a gel. When you get the technique down, you will get a very close shave with no pain. The Fred Flintstone comment is wrong.

Wet face, apply gel, shave, re-wet your face and give it a quick once over with the shaver again and then do a final rinse. Clean the razor.

I have a Panasonic rechargeable that is still going after 12 years. I think always shavig wet reduces wear on the blades and screen as I am only on my second set of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Sensor 3 disposable razors FTW.

Yes i said disposable!! Could cut diamond!

1st: Thanks to all who posted advice here, been trying some of it out.

2nd: GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY MY NECK MUST BE MORE DELICATE THAN FREAKING BUTTERFLY WINGS!!!:mad:

Showered literally an hour ago when I got home from work... Left doors, windows et al closed so bathroom was like a Turkish bath. ROASTING hot shower, left face wet... Slathered on a half a tube of King Of Shaves gel. Used a brand new, sharp razor....

Neck still bled like a stuck pig and stings like feck!!!:mad::mad::(:(

Tomorrow, I'm going hunting for a Panasonic electric razor...:)

It may be that your skin just isnt used to being shaved yet and hasnt toughened up.Ive been shaving for about 15 years and still bleed now and again!

nedtheshed wrote: »
    It may be that your skin just isnt used to being shaved yet and hasnt toughened up.Ive been shaving for about 15 years and still bleed now and again!

I dunno, been shaving since I was 14 (so neatly 8 years now) and the weird thing is, I never remember having this problem until recently.

Still, defo going out and getting an electric shaver... Can't be much worse than what's happening now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

shave while in the shower...

Advertisement