Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting over a wireless bridge

Options
  • 28-08-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

hi all,

here is my problem.

i have my media server connected to my main router. 192.168.0.1

i have a wireless bridge that my media player connects to.

what ip address should my bridge begiven for my media player to connect with my media server.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

What make of wireless bridge are you using? If it's setup correctly as a bridge then its IP address shouldn't be important as long as it's NOT the same as any other device on the same LAN.

So :

192.168.0.1 router
    192.168.0.2 media server
    192.168.0.3 bridge
    192.168.0.4 media player

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

its a generic wireless n one i got on ebay, its running ddwrt.

i tried what you said and gave the brifge a static address of 192.168.0.36.

still not happening, the guide i used was this one and it state to have the second router on a different subnet.

btw this worked for my xbox, but not for media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

wild_eyed wrote: »
    its a generic wireless n one i got on ebay, its running ddwrt.

i tried what you said and gave the brifge a static address of 192.168.0.36.

still not happening, the guide i used was this one and it state to have the second router on a different subnet.

If you have the DD-WRT working in client mode, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's setup as a bridge. It can also run as a normal client (getting it's WAN interface IP via DHCP from the 1st router) and still do NAT & give out DHCP etc. to it's own clients on a different subnet. In that case, the media player and the LAN IP of the DD-WRT router should be on a different LAN (say 192.168.2.x if the other network is to remain at 192.168.0.x).

Bridging is a completely different thing where the client DD-WRT router doesn't do DHCP and the WAN interface is effectively sacrificed - making one big network between the 2 devices.

Post screenshots of the Setup & Wireless GUI pages in DD-WRT if it's still not working.

Advertisement