Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel Hoops (the proper ones...)

Options
  • 28-08-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knew where I can buy the proper polytunnel metal hoops? I want to build my own polytunnel but I am having difficulty sourcing the hoops online. I don't want to buy a complete tunnel because I am convinced I can build one much cheaper myself. My site is very exposed and windy, so plastic hoops won't do the job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

katnia wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone knew where I can buy the proper polytunnel metal hoops? I want to build my own polytunnel but I am having difficulty sourcing the hoops online. I don't want to buy a complete tunnel because I am convinced I can build one much cheaper myself. My site is very exposed and windy, so plastic hoops won't do the job.

A polytunnel might not be a good idea if its that exposed, you may need a wind break if you don't want to chance your tunnel down the road in winter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭katnia

I think the tunnel would be fine as there is a good hedge as a windbreak but I would definitely need one with the proper metal hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Corsendonk, is correct you need very good shelter from the winds..
    Not just for your polythene, which is expensive to replace and a Pain to put up again durning the growing season ... Plus loss of crops!!

But also your metal hoops can be damaged by heavy winds!!! I had 10ft wide tunnel hoop turned into a "corkscrew" due to heavy winds. Polythene tore wrapped itself around the hoop and became a "sail"..
    And I believed I had good shelter before this

Advertisement